Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Loving The Lap Band

Hi my name is Pamela and I had been very unhappy as an overweight person. I was always an obese person even as a child. In high school I was popular but I knew deep down inside I was just the "fat friend with the cute face". I graduated from high school weighing 190 pounds. I then went off to college and the freshman 15 (that is how much you typically gain during your first year of college) turned into the freshman 30. Even by the time I left college I was much heavier than I was in high school. With this being said I still was not to the point were I was fed up with my weight. I felt I could live with it and if no one else could, well that was their problem. I had gotten married in 2004 and became really comfortable with my life. I had a husband who loved me for me so I subconciously figured I could eat whatever and whenever I wanted. Well I kept this up for the next 2 1/2 years and ended up ballooning to the weight of 292 pounds :omg: . I thought to myself what the hell happened. Well the fried chicken, ribs, mac and cheese day in and day out happened. Not to mention the Reeses easter eggs (both in white and milk chocolate) and the Pillsbury deserts, you know the ones you drizzle caramel and fudge on top when you take it out of the . Well I had got to my "Ah ha" moment. I knew I was slowly but surely killing myself. I knew I had diabetes and hypertension that ran on both sides of the family. So I had to do something. I had heard about the Lap-Band procedure but knew nothing about it. So I did my research and found a surgeon by the name of Dr. Robert Quinlan :clap2: who is my godsend. I had a seminar in October of 2006 and was officially notified that I a candidate for surgery. Well this was the best news for me but I still had to go through the pre-testing such as the ultrasound, pschy, and various other testing to see if I could physically stand to have the surgery done. I wasn't concerned about the test results being that I was 27 years old and had no current health problems besides being morbidly obese (oh and the 3 three protruding "love" handles that were on both sides of me in addition to my "thunder thighs"). Well it took me six months to go through the mandatory testing to be approved for surgery. When the surgeons office finally called me to let me know that my insurance was approving it I thought I was going to faint. Six anxious months had finally paid off. And not to mention I had lost 12 pounds before surgery to decrease the size of my liver. I had my surgery March 29, 2007. The day I went home from surgery I weighed 280 pounds and to date (Sept 3, 2007) have lost 60 pounds (yay! :bounce:). I eat ABSOLUTELY nothing fried and no sweets. I figured that between unhealty food and my obsessive eating its what got me to this point in the first place SO NO MORE!! I exercise at least three times per week whether it be going downstairs to the gym, power walking outside (which isn't very fun in 90 degree weather) or turning on exercise tv and working out. I hate to exercise :whoo: but I know it's half (if not 60 percent) of the battle of weight loss so I force myself to do it.

I love the band and have no problem tolerating any healthy foods even fibrous ones like broccoli. I want to at least get down to 150 pounds and plan on having a abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) done at that time. I would encourage anyone who has had repeated failures at weight loss whether it be Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, or Slim Fast (oh and can't forget about the Richard Simmons way of weight loss too been there done that), go to a lap band seminar and get the skinny on the way to a better life. Now I understand it's not for everyone but it really saved me from continuing to lead myself to an early grave.

Hey Pamela ,

Thanks for sharing your story. I am going through a 3 month approval process and am in my second month. I'm doing the lapband with Dr Adam Smith here in Ft Worth, Tx. I am very steadfast in my decision, but if I did have any doubt your inspiring words would have removed any and all doubt. You have apparently had a good experience so far and I hope it continues. I have heard both negative and positive on this website, but I have to say I have heard more positive feedback than anything. I am so happy to have stumbled onto this website and found such a wonderful group of people.

Again thanks for sharing and I wish you continued success!

Donna W:clap2:

Hi Pam

Your story is very much like mine, except I'm still waiting to have my surgery done.:clap2:

As a child and a teenager I was thin and athletic. Upon getting my driver's license I started to gain weight. I continued eating whatever I wanted although I wasn't getting the exercise like I used to. (on the basketball team and just bike riding everywhere)I remember my senior prom, I weighed 157 and was soo mad that I couldn't get down to 150. :mad:If I only knew than what I know now....I'm weighing in at 260 now and would kill to be 200. I think I can blame some of my weight gain on my marriage right out of high school. Or at least my low self esteem. :rain:Why do you never realize who some people are until after you've married them. Let's just say he was a controlling, emotionally, and verbally abusive jerk. I spent alot of time at home eating while he was out having fun, because it was clear that he needed "guy" time and I wasn't invitied. Finally, 6 years later I got a clue and told him I didn't think he should come home. ANYWAY>>>gotten off the subject.....I had a blood work up about 2 months ago-first ever that I can recall- and I'm very healthy! No high blood sugar, cholesterol. Even my good cholesterol is high. I'm a healthy person with the exception that i'm just about 100+ pounds overweight. Plus I was adopted so me or my parents have no idea what my medical history entales.:rolleyes:

Three years ago this coming March, my fiance left me after being together for the last 10 years. I think alot of it was my weight. I couldn't or didn't want to participate in alot of acitivities that we particiapted in regulary. I've been doing the diet thing for the last 20 years. I've been thinking about Lap band for the last year when finally I decided to pursue it. Now I'm 1&1/2 months from having my paperwork ready to be sent off to my insurance company. I can't wait!!!My lifestyle and the person that I feel that I am, needs to be healthy and look good. I hope that I don't need to have any type of skin removal, which is why I'm going to give working out my best, although I hate it like you do. But I am looking forward to a boob job. Never had much there to begin with and everything always drooped alittle anyway. Already see a psych. for the obvious reasons, and am really going to get into the finding out why I eat when I'm not hungry. I know that the Band isn't a miracle, you have to work the program. The band is just a tool to help you achieve your goals. Sorry to ramble on and on, but your blog inspired me to tell mine as I'm sure mine will inspire others to tell theirs. :bounce: Susan

Wow, that was wonderfully put. I am scheduled for banding on Sept. 21st. I wasn't overweight as a child, highschool, or college, but once I began teaching the pounds were put on. I gained about 50 lbs in seven years which put me at 178, not good but still okay. I did invitro and with all the hormone and progesterone shots and Patches and pill yikes! I gained 60 pound and have only been able to take off 30 lbs. Here is my problem, I take off 20 and put back 15 and there you have it. I have been this way for about 2.5 years and feel that I will continue here forever. My decision to band is not solely for vanity, but for future health problems. I don't have any type of health problems, but I know with age they will come if I don't take care now. I only hope that I will have much success like you.