Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Desperation- I WANT TO BINGE- Please help!

Anybody out there tonight? I am feeling a severe need to binge for the first time since I was banded three weeks ago. It has been a bad weekend; relationships with friends/family/my boyfriend all have come crashing down, but I can't return to my usual crutch. I keep repeating the mantra "The band is a tool, not an easy button," but I still keep walking to the fridge and closing it, eyeing the Soup in the cabinet, the leftover Pasta on the shelf.

This afternoon I walked to the corner store, bought a pint of cherry garcia, ate five bites and threw the rest down the garbage shoot in disgust. I feel like a miserable, weak person without a lifeline. I want to stuff my face in consolation with pizza, and pudding, and chicken, and anything else I can find.

I feel like a drug addict without her heroin or coke fix. I feel desperate, sad, and angry.

I want to scream in frustration because I can't fix my problems the way I always have, with food! It's too late to take a walk, reading is not working, and I can't watch one more minute of crap TV. Someone please help me get my mind off the food. Feel free to e-mail me if you have any suggestions: vford18@hotmail.com

Thanks for any responses in advance!

Sorry I did not read this sooner. I hope your night got easier.

I'm doing some "head work" as I call it. Meaning that I did not get to a point of 200+ pounds overweight by the occasional snack. My food urges came by way of examples at home I saw growing up, addiction in my family which I inherited.

For me, I got to a point where I had some candy and I had another type of sweet on another occasion. I saw myself moving in the direction of the occasional splurge. I know that as a sign I'm eventually going to slide into the habit of reaching for those things that are unhealthy as a means of coping with whatever is wrong in my life and searching for that feeling of "high" I would get when I consumed enough carbs to put my body into that sluggish, sedated food feeling I would go for. Just like an alcoholic, like someone craving a smoke, ...it's really no different.

If you get to a point where it really is a struggle, I can offer that I went into therapy and it is definately helping. I specifically sought out counseling for addiction. I also was put on medication therapy to ease the process a little (for me I was really having an emotionally hard time)

I hope this helps and I do hope your night went better!

I have felt the same way a couple of times. But i don`t do it because i know i have to stop using food to fix everything. I get on this site when i feel that way now. You will get through it. Donna

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, honest reactions, and heartfelt advice. I made it through the night, terrible as it was, reading through the posts here and another obesity help site. I got up early today to walk. Being active really helped. I must have walked about 100 blocks around Manhattan today with my iPod blaring in my ear. I think that's my therapy. Thanks again everyone for your suggestions. Today is a better day.

When ever you feel that the walls are caving in around you, family, friends and siginifcant others are testing their limits, try to exercise, if you can't go walking clean the house, get an exercise tape try not to eat (binge) because in the end you would be hurting yourself more than anything any one person could hurt you. You have made a life long decision to be a bandster don't lose focus just because a couple of people tried to push your buttons. Think of the new thin, lean, healthy you and say that today is going to be a good day. I read a post on this site last week where the person shared a few words of wisdom that she read and it basically stated that we have choices, we choose what kind of day we are going to have, be it good or bad so since reading that, I choose to have a good day everyday and I say go away nay sayers, I am claiming this as a good day and nothing anyone says or does will change that. I have been working on finding the positive. When all else fells come to the site and just let it all out, we are all here for you. We are your bandmates and bandmates work it out together. I'm glad you had a better day but I thought I would share with you and other bandsters just in case anyone needed it. Keep your head up and your band tight...:)

I'm hesitant to suggest this because fixing food issues with food is probably controversial, but here's what has worked for me and since you're in the City, I thought it MIGHT help you too.

When I get in binge mode, I've learned I can't stop it. I'm going to eat something off plan no matter how hard I try -- even if I make it 24 hours, the binge will ultimately still come. So, now, I give into it when I can still control it with a couple of hundred calories instead of a couple of thousand. What I do when binge head hits is pick a tast-d-lite that is 30 blocks away, walk there, order a medium (120 cals) and walk back. I feel 100% like I had a binge-worthy treat (it's a lot of quantity for 120 cals and for those not in NYC, tasti is a low-cal ice cream place), but I walked 3 miles to and from, so I burn more than I ate in the "binge."

I tried for so long, even with the band, to not give into the binge. It didn't work for me so I had to find a different solution. If you can fix it without food, I so, so, so support that, but if you can't, minimize the damage.

not giving into the binges just makes them worse for me as well.

so i plan them.

for instance today at work (cafe) was mongolian grill day. rice and 'fried' noodles and lots of stuff i really dont need when i am low carbing it. i wanted that stupid dish SOOO bad i almost gave in... but then i remembered, i have a PLANNED "off plan" meal tomorrow and it's Chinese food.... there you go ... i saved myself a few hundred cals today.

but i'm super anal and plan my meals pretty much for the entire week on My food Diary :: Online Calorie Counter w/ Diet Journal & Exercise Log just to make sure all is well before i even THINK of an off plan meal or day.

good luck.

I know I'm going to get a lot of nasty replies for this remedy for binging, but here goes anyway!!!

My problem is late at night... Too late to walk, too tired to clean house, need the "fix"...

My weakness is crunchy salty things (thank goodness not sweets!!), so I get a bag of Doritos & sugar free flavored water (like Special K Protein water) and lick off the flavor of the chips!!!!! And if I need to chew them just to crunch something, I'll chew then spit out in a bowl.

I've read on this and other boards that many people with WLS's do this..... I'm not recommending it!!! Just sharing my story.....

Controversial? YES!! Does it work? IT DOES FOR ME!! Hugs and Good Luck!!!:clap2:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Starting weight: 7/01/2007; 235 lbs 33.7 BMI

Surgery weight: 8/13/2007; 224 lbs 32.1 BMI

Current weight: 9/05/2007; 210 lbs 30.1 BMI

Goal weight: May/01/2008; 159 lbs 22.8 BMI

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm glad you got through the night! Just remember, you only had surgery 3 weeks ago! I am assuming you have no fill yet? You are in what's known as "bandster hell". You will feel much better once you have restriction. Head hunger was the hardest part for me to deal with after surgery. A year later, I finally feel like I have the better of it. I am doing hypnosis which has helped me tremendously. Try some meditation/relaxation stuff when you get the binge urge. Take a bath, listen to soothing music, etc. We all have to find what gets us through the night and I hope you find it!

You need to let out one big cry!

You need to learn how to deal with what makes you want to binge.

If it is people or situations around you change them.

Speak your mind and make descisions based on how you feel not others.

Never ever let people walk into your life change anything positive into a negative for you!

Recognize,annalyze and solve.

Remember these three things!

When I would get frustrated,bored,angry I would grab a bag of chips.< /p>

While I let the world get to me I was getting bigger and bigger.

Frustated with myself for allowing this behavior when I could have just told them to go to hell and left the chips alone.

I am so outspoken now more than before and it feels good!

There is always a reason for addictions.

Find yours!

Much luv honey

Remember you're beautiful and never let anyone or anything change that.