Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

dont know what else to do!!!

Guest hopeless

Guest hopeless

hi im new to this thing and it was suggested by one of the doctors ive seen. i am from dallas texas and i have been trying to get the lap band for 2 yrs but it hasnt worked out. i have been researching insurance options through my husbands job and purchasing insurance privatly and they either wont cover it or my husband and i would be in debt until we were 2,000 yrs old. i am five foot tall and i weigh 300 lbs i wasnt always big just started having weight problems after having my son i have been on every diet there is and still continue to diet with exercise but my doctors said the reason why i cant loose weight is because my bmi has gotten so high that it would take surgery to help me make a diffrence in the weight loss. Im scared because i have a 3 yr old son who i want to see grow up and be able to do things with and for him not tot be embarrassed of me because of my weight. i am completely unhappy and i dont know what else to do i have many medical problems because of my weight and im not ready to die.i have been denied by my insurances twice. so if anyone has any information for me to help me get this much needed surgery i would appreciate it. thank you and god bless..... hopeless dallas tx

Hopeless, have you gotten actual denial letters from your insurance company in regards to weight loss surgery? If so, how exactly were the letters worded? What are they writing you?

One thing I did was call my insurance company and ask them this question, just this way:

"Depending on the diagnosis code, and procedure code, do you cover weight loss surgery?"

If they answer "yes" then you know that it is a possibility and you have something to strive for.

Have you thought about going to Mexico for your surgery? It is so much cheaper and most of the doctors there have financing through very reputible financing companies at low interest rates. It's what I did..I felt just like how you were feeling. My insurance would not cover me and I have 3 boys that I want to live for and have them not be embarressed by their mother. 8 months later here I am 72 lbs lighter and happier then I have been in years and so is my family! :D

Best of Luck to you..don't give up..when there is a will there is a way!

Hello,

I was going to say the same thing Michelle said. I was a Mexico patient too and am very happy. The hospital I was in was really comfortable, professional and clean. The price ranges from $7000 to $10,000 depending on the doctor. Best of luck to you, Teresa

If your insurance policies specifically exclude LapBand surgery, you may not be able to get them to cover you. But if they somehow don't think you meet the criteria, I would recommend going to the ObesityLaw.com. They help people like us fight insurance companies.

If the insurance road has not worked out for you, please remember that if you get a loan to cover the surgery, a good percentage of the cost can be claimed as a medical expense deduction on your taxes. How much you get back depends on your income. The less your income, the more you get back. I got about half of the cost back.

I can relate to the desperation you are feeling. I think we all can. I've felt hopeless before, too, but I've learned that even when I couldn't feel it, there was hope and the things I thought could never improve are better now. Please don't give up.

Nancy

Nancy