Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had mine done 8/30!

This is my first post... I had mine done on Thursday so I was considering looking at August and September people.

I still have some pain, but I haven't taken any pain meds since Friday evening, the liquid stuff tasted so terrible it made me feel nauseous and I'd rather have some pain than nausea.

I've been able to eat without trouble... as much as a 4 oz container of sugar free pudding... having a hard time keeping up with my Water intake.

I think I've lost about 8 lbs since Thursday morning - but I'm sure a lot of that is Water. I am supposed to go back to work on Wednesday - yikes!How long until you start feeling fairly normal? A couple of weeks? I know I can't lift for 4-6 weeks, is that what you're hearing.

Look forward to touching base with people here.

Thanks

Danielle

Hi Mommy2five, No doubt everyone is different but my post op recovery is going like this (banded Aug 17):

-had relatively little incision pain (stopped pain meds 2 days after) but had quite a bit of nausea for the first 5 days. Now am dealing with some itching around my incisions which isn't too surprising as I've got sensitive, touchy skin.

-the gas pains were bothersome but not intolerable and are resolved for the most part now.

-went back to work a week after surgery and the first day I was a bit slow but now am back into the swing of things no problem.

-first week I didn't feel overly hungry and did my best to stay hydrated (which was a challenge because of the nausea).

-second week to-date am getting hungrier so am looking forward to my first fill on Oct 1 (which is still quite a stretch away which is worrisome from a weight loss perspective).

-haven't lost a bunch of weight since the surgery despite eating much less-probably in the range of 6-8 pounds. I did do well on the pre op diet and have at least maintained that loss.

Congrats on your banding. I'm sure hoping we'll both find it a useful tool in the never-ending (at least for me so far) Quest to get healthy and down to a reasonable weight.

Liz

Congrats Liz and Danielle! I had surgery on 8/29 and have had about the same experiences as both of you.

I was sick until Friday because of the anesthesia, but have felt much better since. I haven't had to take any pain meds, which is surprising. The gas pains were a bit uncomfortable, but not as horrible as the nausea from the anesthesia.

I'm also having a bit of trouble with the Water. I know I'm getting some down, but probably not close to what I need. Hopefully over time that will work itself out.

Good luck to both of you!!

Tabitha

I was banned on the 31st, the last few days have been hard, but today seems to be much better.

I was banded the same day 8-30-07 and I'm back to work today. I feel great. I was up and doing yard work yesterday. It helps to get a good night sleep. I have been taking pain pills at night along with a melatonin to help me sleep. My gas pains are pretty much gone. I just have a little pressure and pain at my port site. I already feel good because my doctor gave me a little fill before I left mexico 2 days after the surgery. I'm really glad she did.

Hi guys I was banded 8/29 also and also got a fill before I left TJ, i was also back to work 9/4 but I'm finding i'm in pain due to sitting all day by 3-4pm. I have a good amount of pain in the port area, and I'm definetly walking around kind of like a hunchback since it hurts to stand straight up. I'm trying to walk, but finding its hard to get a full 30min in. Some questions for you guys...

-Do you guys still have pain?

-Also how do i tell gas pain from port pain?

-Do you sleep on your side? Does it hurt?

thanks

jad

I'm still in pain, yesterday was not a good day, but I am hoping today will be better. I feel so full all the time. Also my chest feels a bit tight sometimes.

Gas pain's have gone away, my insiecions still hurt. I have been sleeping on my side through out the night, but it hurts too. LOL seems like most of the time I hurt ;)

Now my hubby is doing great! He went back to work on wed, and stopped the pain meds too. He is a tough cookie!

Since I left my last thread I have been reading more about fills. I am a little scared that I got a fill so early. I heard that the reason why they usually wait for a fill is because they have no way of suturing the band to the stomach. There is a posibility of the band sliping up the stomach to a smaller area if it is filled to early before it formes scar/fatty tissue around the band. I have the Johnson and Johnson band and I heard that it is bigger than the other one but I also got a fill of 4.6ml and that seems like a lot compared to others on this site. I was doing really well with pain until last night. I got shoulder gas pain again. I can't really understand why. I still have some pain at my incisions and mostly my port site but it is pretty bareable. I haven't really had to take any pain meds. I also had a really embarasing experience yesterday at work. I about died of emberasment. I have had a lot of gas since the surgery. I also think I have been swallowing a lot of air because I feel like I have to swallow all of the time and there just isn't enought saliva to go down every time I have to swallow so air is what does down. Well, yesterday I was at work and thought I just had to pass gas. Well, I was wrong. I craped my pants!!!!! :phanvan I ran to the bathroom and ended up having to go straight home and shower. This liquid diet is killing me! Well, so much for my embarasing story. Does any one else have one.

Kim

Hi guys I was banded 8/29 also and also got a fill before I left TJ, i was also back to work 9/4 but I'm finding i'm in pain due to sitting all day by 3-4pm. I have a good amount of pain in the port area, and I'm definetly walking around kind of like a hunchback since it hurts to stand straight up. I'm trying to walk, but finding its hard to get a full 30min in. Some questions for you guys...

-Do you guys still have pain?

-Also how do i tell gas pain from port pain?

-Do you sleep on your side? Does it hurt?

thanks

jad

Hi jad! On Tuesday and Wednesday both, around 3pm, I started having really bad pain from the gas. I just feel like I have a hugh bubble in my stomach and then in my left shoulder. I would just get up and wonder around for a bit until it felt a little better. By the time I get home after work it is awful and I'm on the bed stretched out.

I'm still having pain, but only from the gas. I never had any other kind of pain. Although, my port muscle is a bit tender, but not bad. For me, the difference in gas and port pain - port pain is a sore muscle and gas is a big air bubble and pain in the left shoulder. Today is the first day I have really felt any relief from the gas pain...it is still there, but seems to be going away. I guess we'll see what 3pm brings.:rolleyes

I started sleeping on my sides and stomach on Friday (surgery was Wed.) If I needed to roll over, I just did it very slowly!

Tabitha

Hi Kim! My band was stitched to my stomach and I don't get a fill until 6 weeks post-op. The reasoning for my situation is because they wait for the stomach to heal and the swelling to go down before the fill. Everyone does it different.

I'm sorry about your embarrassing moment! Just hang in there, it will end soon.