Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Removing stuck food...

Has anyone out there had to have food removed by the doctor. I'm curious how often that happens. It scares me to death.

Doctor: Dr. Storey / Pasadena, Tx

Banded 08/06/2007

Lost: 17 lbs

110 lbs left to go.....

Nope, your body takes care of that. Not to say that it is pleasant, but you won't need to see a doctor.

It is very uncomfortable, you will be gassy, and your stomach will produce lots of mucus, saliva and it will come up like vomiting, but without any stomach acid (no gross taste in the mouth). Though the experience is not roses, its not the end of the world

I was just wondering because my doctor said that he had a patient who ate a hot dog and she didn't chew it up good enough so it got stuck. He said that he had to take a scope and go down her throat and get it. He said that he has to do a scope about once every couple of months.

Doctor: Dr. Storey / Pasadena, Tx

Banded 08/06/2007

Lost: 17 lbs

110 lbs left to go.....<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

I was just wondering because my doctor said that he had a patient who ate a hot dog and she didn't chew it up good enough so it got stuck. He said that he had to take a scope and go down her throat and get it. He said that he has to do a scope about once every couple of months.

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

I heard a similar story from another doctor involving white castle hamburgers.. I was confused by it because I had only heard it that one time - I thought maybe he was joking or trying to scare his patients, so I dismissed it. Interesting to see someone else has heard the same thing - very confusing.

Believe me, if after walking around, stretching, etc. it still feels firmly in there...it's time to go to the bathroom and hang your head over the toilet. Nature will totally take care of it.

You are always going to have SOMEONE out there who doesn't use their head and pushes the envelope. This will NOT happen to you if you follow the instructions. I ate a hot dog on my first week of solids. I took the bread off and ate the dog. I TOOK MY TIME and had no problems. Remember, most of us are used to GULPING our food...and some of us are worse than others.

I agree with Kacee. I've only had one PB so far but it was from speed. I was in a hurry and I gulped down some tuna. Unfortunately, someone was at my front door and I had to stand there and nod (couldn't speak) until I could get away to let the tuna come back out. Not pretty and totally preventable if I hadn't been in a hurry. Lesson learned.

Ok, I have a friend who is banded, and she got stuck on some salmon. After 4 hours of excruciating pain, it wouldn't come up or go down, she ended up going in for an emergency unfill. That immediately brought relief. After a couple of weeks, she went back and got most of her fill back. It's rare, but it does happen.

pineapple juice has saved me pain more than once. Matter of fact, just tonight. :rolleyes:

pineapple juice, those small 6oz cans, unsweetened, slowly sip... I keep them on hand ALL the time.

I'm sure it's happened but I've never met a person that had to have any food removed from their stoma but LOTS of people have to have food removed if their esophagus has a stricture, nothing to do with banding though.

Just a suggestion...people talk about "meat tenderizer" helping. Well, you can get the same results with Clear Ease. You can find it on line. People who scuba dive use it for breaking up sinus mucus or something. They are papaya enzyme lozenges (an active ingredient in tenderizer) and you put them between your cheek and gum (sounds like Skoal) and let it dissolve. You could use this for "emergencies". I keep some in my purse. Never had to use it, but it's there just in case. Can't hurt. Might help.