Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op Diet Journal - Phase 1

I'm using the Protein Powder from GNC. I mix it up and only a little clumps up, don't seem to have the problem with curdling. It does have a different texture. The powder is 25 gm/scoop, I only use 1/2 the scoop.

Sorry, not much help.

Sue

Well, now day 4 and the nausea seems to have subsided, it was just the one day. I figured out that I was taking less than the prescribed pain med, so I don't think the nausea was from the pain meds. I did switch to more clear Water and sipped constantly. So, maybe dehydration was the problem.

Thanks for the advice.

Sue

Hi everybody-

I was also banded on 8/27. I was off my pain meds after 2 days and was able to sleep relatively comfortably since about the 3rd day...I surprised myself when I woke up last night and found myself on my stomach, and wasn't uncomfortable. I have been on sugar free Clear Liquids plus one Protein Shake a day for a week. My doc did not give me specific calorie, Protein or Fluid intake amounts, just a list of acceptable foods.

I was finally able to switch to full fluids today, thank goodness. I have found that I might get a little gassy following a meal, but nothing too bad...usually a couple of good burps, and I'm a-ok.

I have managed to lose 19 lbs. in the 2 weeks I have been on liquids. Yipee!

Congrats to all of you...everyone seems to be doing pretty well.

Hi Everybody,

How is it going today?? Happy Labor Day for all in the USA.

Well today is going better than yesterday. I weighed myself today(after promising my doctor I would only weigh once per week)(well, today is a week). WhooHooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Feel pretty good but got a little tired this afternoon. One of my friends brought over some homemade cream of asparagus Soup. So I warmed that up for lunch and then of course strained it and it was really yummy. Measured out 1 cup but was full just after 1/2 cup. Still getting bloated after I eat. Have to ask the surgeon tomorrow how long that is going to last. Making sure I get all my Protein grams in. I am going to go for a walk in my neighborhood as soon as my stomach unbloats.

Write and tell me how everyone is doing! I am down 19 pounds since 8/14 and down 30 pounds total since 8/4. Feeling very proud right now and glad I stuck to that horrendous preop diet.

Take care everyone and talk to you tomorrow.

shelli:girl_hug:

Hi guys-

I know that when we move to "real" foods, we can't drink anything for a while before and after we eat, but does that apply now? If I have Soup for dinner, do I have to wait to drink before and after?

Shelli- I am jealous of your asparagus soup...sounds yummy!

~Jen

Hi Everyone,

I was banded on 8/23, and I want to tell you the eating situation improves. I experienced the same exact things you are talking about. I thought my Dr was nutts when I tried to consume all the Protein shakes and Water during the first week. There is no way I came close. I just concentrated on getting enough liquids so I didnt get dehydrated. This week has been much better and I am now able to get the required Protein down. I didnt that first week. So hang in there, one week made a huge difference for me.

I really thought I had the Protein shake thing down. It's been almost 3 weeks. The last 2 days they've been tasting grosser than ever!!!! :speechles

I can not wait for mushies!!! It's funny the things you start to get excited for: cottage cheese! refried beans! tuna!

These are far from the foods I am used to getting excited for! I'm going to need some therapy :heh:

Hey everyone; just found this thread and it is great. Thanks Shelli for starting it. For those that do not know me, my name is Clara. I was banded on August 27th and again on August 29th. That is right. First one slipped before I even got out of recovery.

Anyway, as far as food goes, I am doing the Protein shakes--4 oz.at a time. Broth--4 oz at a time, Jello and popscyles. I try to have something about every 3 hours and so far, no heart burn, no hunger pains(my body is thinking "What the hell") and I am no longer on pain meds. It could not be going better.

I am going to run some errands in a few minutes and I think I will stop at Fridays and get some cream of brocilli Soup to go. Zap in blender and that will be a real treat.

I was banded on August 29th. The surgeon said everything went extremely well and even went as far as to say better than he expected. The nursing staff said I was the first person they have ever had that got up and walked 2 laps around the wing 20 minutes after being back from recovery! They said I am also the first person to get up to 2500 on the breathing thingy right away.

I did Phase 1 for 5 days (suppose to do 7 days) just couldn't take it anymore! Now I am on Phase 2 and I have had absolutely no problems with anything since surgery related to eating. I am wondering if I really have to be on Phase 2 for two weeks or if I can move onto Phase 3 sooner. I will ask on my follow up appt. this Friday.

I've noticed some members talking about getting in their Protein for the day. I am drinking Isopure which is nothing more than filtered flavored Water with 40g whey Protein in it. 1 bottle is 20oz, 160 Calories, 0 Fat, 0 Carbs, 0 Sugars, 55mg Calcium, 80mg Sodium (as Citrate) & 45mg Potassium. The only bad thing about them is they are $3.50 a bottle and GNC is the only place I can find that carries them.

Anyone know how long it will be until I can eat a Ceaser salad??????:help:

Male: 6' 5"

First Weigh In = 406 lbs

Current Weight = 386 lbs

Goal Weight = 250 lbs

Was banded on Friday the 31st. Decided to come back to work today, (Tuesday) I have a desk job, not much lifting, tired of sitting around the house. Feel good, a LOT of gas, still. Am living on grape and apple juice, getting some broth but tough to stomach it. A little bit of a twinge around the port but other than that, not much pain at all. Feel a lot better than I did on Saturday. The incisions look good, my surgeon did an excellent job in my opinion. The team was very professional and very kind to me in pre-op, going over what was going to happen, why etc. and that they were going to take care of me. Went in at 6:30am, left at 6:30pm. Saturday was so so, Sunday was better, Monday, after my first shower was darn near normal.

I am way down on calories, feeling a bit weak, have lost 30 pounds since I started the liquid pre op routine. I am just going to work the juices until my first post op on the 13th. Wierd sensation when you drink something, you can feel air move up your throat and a burping like sensation. I see that is normal. Anyway, so far so good.

Male-6' 3"

First Weigh In-320 lbs

Current Weight-290 lbs

Goal-220 lbs

sbramell-

I, like you, have had absolutely no problems at all with getting down food, and haven't even been very gassy. I was banded on 8/27, and see my doc for my follow-up tomorrow. I am hoping he tells me I can eat something more substantial...I find myself more and more hungry as I heal.

I am also drinking Isopure. I initially got it at GNC for $3.99 per bottle, but Vitamin Shoppe also has it for about $35 for a case of 12, which is a bit better.

Unfortunately, I can't help you out on the caesar salad thing...my boss at work bought everyone salad for lunch today...I never thought I would be so jealous of someone eating salad!

Keep your chin up...we will get through this!

~Jen

Hey everyone; just found this thread and it is great. Thanks Shelli for starting it. For those that do not know me, my name is Clara. I was banded on August 27th and again on August 29th. That is right. First one slipped before I even got out of recovery.

Anyway, as far as food goes, I am doing the Protein shakes--4 oz.at a time. Broth--4 oz at a time, Jello and popscyles. I try to have something about every 3 hours and so far, no heart burn, no hunger pains(my body is thinking "What the hell") and I am no longer on pain meds. It could not be going better.

I am going to run some errands in a few minutes and I think I will stop at Fridays and get some cream of brocilli Soup to go. Zap in blender and that will be a real treat.

Glad you found us over here. You sound as if things are going better for you and I am so happy. Sounds like you are on the mend if you are going shopping. Awesome!

Shelli:girl_hug:

Hi everyone, CA Gal here. My band date was the 29th. As usual I have definately tried to do to much to soon, entertaining over the weekend - so back in bed today! The whey protiens with isolates seem easier to digest, and are not that expensive if purchased in bulk. I have been able to get at least 2 down per day. one with low fat milk and tablespoon of pnut butter, organic. the second mixed with 1/2 c fresh fruits , cup of Water and ice then blend. I also drink my Water. But Soup sure does sound good.

The gas does disapate the more you move around and the more you take deep breathes. My problem is that I keep running a low fever of 99 or 100 in the evenings, any ony else?

Sande

Shelli, glad to hear you are doing good. I was banded on 8/30 and am just getting started with liquid diets. I knew it was coming, so I got a head start 2 weeks prior to surgery to get my system used to it. As far as the bloated feeling after eating, I am right there with all of you. But I am able to make each day so far with 64 oz of Water, which I drank a lot of before surgery anyway. Whats with this tickling feeling in the back of my throat though? I have tried everything I can to make it go away, but I am thinking its from the air tube I had during surgery. I was in there over 4 hours due to some scar tissue removal from a previous surgery. Take care all and I seem to be spending a lot of time on this site finding all kinds of good info..... Dave:bounce::bounce:

Shelli, glad to hear you are doing good. I was banded on 8/30 and am just getting started with liquid diets. I knew it was coming, so I got a head start 2 weeks prior to surgery to get my system used to it. As far as the bloated feeling after eating, I am right there with all of you. But I am able to make each day so far with 64 oz of Water, which I drank a lot of before surgery anyway. Whats with this tickling feeling in the back of my throat though? I have tried everything I can to make it go away, but I am thinking its from the air tube I had during surgery. I was in there over 4 hours due to some scar tissue removal from a previous surgery. Take care all and I seem to be spending a lot of time on this site finding all kinds of good info..... Dave:bounce::bounce:

Hi Dave,

Welcome to this site. It is fantastic having all these people to talk to and compare notes with. I had that throat thing to for about 5 or 6 days after surgery. I think it is from when they put the tube down your throat during surgery. If you start running a fever though you might want to check with your doc about it. Did you get that plastic breathing coach from the hospital? That kind of helps too! Hope you have a speedy recovery Dave and keep in touch.

shelli:girl_hug: