Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions about pre-op tests

Hi

I am with Kaiser. I've asked the surgeon at my first class if I would have to have sleep study or endoscopic testing? He said no. I've been reading on the forums about everyone having all these tests. Should I be worried that these tests are not being preformed? I am 49 yrs. 5'3 and weigh 243. I do know that I have to have blood work done and a goal weight to achieve before surgery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using the BariatricPal App

My insurance does not require either of those tests. If you think you have sleep apnea bring it up, if not you will be fine.

I am not sure if everyone has the endoscopy. I have read many people comment that their surgeon found things, like a hernia, during surgery and repaired it. IF they had had an endoscopy the hernia would have been found beforehand, I would think, so they must not have had one??

I am not sure what else they are looking for in an endoscopy.

I had to have anything done that I'd need done during the year following my surgery...for me, that meant a pap smear, mammogram and colonoscopy because of my age. The GI clinic did an endoscopy while I was out for the colon scope. My doc would not have done a sleep study unless I was symptomatic for apnea.

I just finished all my appointments. I had to have a sleep study but only because I had symptoms of sleep apnea, I did not have to have an endoscopy or an upper G.I.

I'm in Australua so insurance here is different.

I'm 30 and have no previous health issues, all I need to have is a blood test.

I had to have both, but I think my insurance required the endoscopy only because I had a lap band and had to prove there were issues (like gerd or whatever) to prove that the revision is best for me at this stage. I had an upper GI, it showed I had a dilated esophagus (2nd time in 9 years), but it wasn't enough since the doctor can remove the liquid, rest my esophagus for a couple of months, and then put the liquid back in.

The sleep study wasn't mandatory by my insurance, I think I had to have it done because my surgeon is ultra careful. I had no history of sleep apnea.

Do you have to have a cardiac clearance for surgery? That seemed to be the most important to my surgeon...

I'm in Australua so insurance here is different.

I'm 30 and have no previous health issues, all I need to have is a blood test.

Here in the US every private insurance has their own set of rules, and different surgeons can require different things as well. My surgeon and my insurance seem to require less than what most people have to do, but then again we all have different medical histories.

My surgeon required bloodwork, ekg, upper gi, and chest x-ray. Very quick and easy, everything was done in one appointment.

Mine required a physical, blood work, ekg, and chest x-ray. I already use a bi-pap so no sleep study for me. Although sleep studies are nothing to worry about. Like staying in a hotel and sleeping with your hat on.