Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Next step... sleep study. And totally scared.

My sleep study was done in a hospital. The room was like a hotel room. I was allowed to take ambien and go to sleep pretty much my regular routine. You're hooked up to some wires from head to toe, I had a very nice sleep study attendant, who explained everything beforehand. It didn't hurt that he was handsome as well as knowledgeable! Lol. Found out I had severe obstructive sleep apnea from that study. My oxygen levels were dropping dangerously low at night and had awakenings 188 times in six hours. I wasn't able to tolerate the cpap due to asthma. This is the reason I had the sleeve done two weeks ago. I already feel better twenty lbs down!

Sleep study was a lifesaver and very easy..don't sweat it!!

Sounds like me. My O2 levels were getting down to 68% and i was averaging 53 apneas an hour. I was diagnosed as having complex sleep apnea and given a bipap and am O2 concentrator.

@@DebiW, please don't take yourself off of BiPAP without having another sleep study. Weight is not the number one cause of apnea. I've been in the sleep field for 10 years & some of the worse apnea I've seen was little, old, 90 lb women who stop breathing for 2 minutes at a time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using the BariatricPal App

Agree. My doctor said that weight loss might correct the obstructive part of my sleep apnea but the central part will likely stick around forever.

How long did it take to get the results from your sleep study?

So my results from my sleep study shows that I have mild obstructive sleep apnea. During REM sleep, I quit breathing 37 times in an hour. My oxygen went down several times to ~77%. Yikes! Next step is to do another study but with the CPAP this time and that's set for Oct. 18th. It's not as bad as some but still bad. Now I have to deal with the fact that I'm a mouth breather and moderately claustrophobic. They said they made a note in my chart about that.

Hi I' m new to all you guys. I have sleep Study wed 9/21 night and.then will be a go. Having mine in Columbus Ohio at Mount Carmel West, they've been an good program. I'm at high end of age. Any other 60+/out there? Rosey Posey!

Hi Rosey posey:

Im 57, in the process of gastric bypass and just did the take home sleep study machine. Low and behold I have sleep apnea, AHI 20. Im feeli g a bit discouraged, and wondering what this means as far,as moving forward. Good luck to you, keep us posted.

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

Hi I' m new to all you guys. I have sleep Study wed 9/21 night and.then will be a go. Having mine in Columbus Ohio at Mount Carmel West, they've been an good program. I'm at high end of age. Any other 60+/out there? Rosey Posey!

Hi Rosey posey:

Im 57, in the process of gastric bypass and just did the take home sleep study machine. Low and behold I have sleep apnea, AHI 20. Im feeli g a bit discouraged, and wondering what this means as far,as moving forward. Good luck to you, keep us posted.

It will most likely mean you will have to go on a CPAP machine before surgery. Usually they require 30 days compliance first.

I am so happy I did a sleep study and you will, too. The process was kind of strange, sleeping in a room while someone watches and you have all these electrodes on your body. I love my CPAP and feel I'm sleeping more soundly, plus I don't snore anymore! You will be so glad you did this...no need to worry about it...

Tammyeb:

You dont find sleeping with the apparatis uncomfortable?? Did you have surgery yet?? Is the sleep apnea delaying your survery date?

So my results from my sleep study shows that I have mild obstructive sleep apnea. During REM sleep, I quit breathing 37 times in an hour. My oxygen went down several times to ~77%. Yikes! Next step is to do another study but with the CPAP this time and that's set for Oct. 18th. It's not as bad as some but still bad. Now I have to deal with the fact that I'm a mouth breather and moderately claustrophobic. They said they made a note in my chart about that.

I'm also a mouth breather. I did better with the nasal mask rather than full mask. I am somewhat forced to breath out of my nose. I tried the full mask for a second at my titration appointment and felt like I was suffocating. It'll take some time to get used to it but I actually kind of like my CPAP now. I'll be happier to be off of it but I do sleep better now.

You should ask about the possibilty of using nasal pillows and a chin strap.

I have been using pilaro q nasal pillows for over a year now. I find it very comfortable. I reccomend it highly. I did have some irratation the first week or so, as my nose was getting used to the air. I find it more comfortanle than the resmed version. I dont have to use a chin strap though.

Hello, does everyone have to have sleep study before surgery?

Hello, does everyone have to have sleep study before surgery?

It depends on your insurance, your surgeon, and whether you have symptoms of sleep apnea.

I didn't because I had already been diagnosed and am being treated for sleep apnea.

It is a comorbidity. So if you need a comorbidity to be approved through insurance, it is a very common one.

Some surgeon's require testing, especially if they suspect sleep apnea, because sleep apnea can be deadly, especially if you are having surgery.

Plus, a good nights sleep is critical for healing and for general health.