Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was sleeved yesterday. How are other's doing?

I am almost 3 weeks out and it gets better every day. I was very nauseous in the hospital and threw up a lot of old blood from the surgery. In fact I was nauseous the first day home. Then it evened out. I followed only soft Protein such as yogurt, cottage cheese and clear Soups for meals and sips of Water every five minutes. In between meals I drank about 1/3 of the premier Protein shakes. The only thing I think stopped my recovery was that I tried not to take the pain meds I was prescribed. I was miserable. So on the third day home I started taking one during the day and one about an hour before bed. Life was much easier after that. I also took Miralax daily to stay regular. I have been off the pain meds for four days now and it is getting better every day. I have lost 34 lbs altogether in one month. I feel like I made the best decision of my life!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am almost 3 weeks out and it gets better every day. I was very nauseous in the hospital and threw up a lot of old blood from the surgery. In fact I was nauseous the first day home. Then it evened out. I followed only soft Protein such as yogurt, cottage cheese and clear Soups for meals and sips of Water every five minutes. In between meals I drank about 1/3 of the Premier Protein shakes. The only thing I think stopped my recovery was that I tried not to take the pain meds I was prescribed. I was miserable. So on the third day home I started taking one during the day and one about an hour before bed. Life was much easier after that. I also took Miralax daily to stay regular. I have been off the pain meds for four days now and it is getting better every day. I have lost 34 lbs altogether in one month. I feel like I made the best decision of my life!

Pain is a funny thing. I truly didn't think I was having any pain post-surgery. I had some discomfort, but isn't that to be expected after abdominal surgery? My blood pressure had been fine post-op, but during the afternoon it slowly kept increasing. Then it hit 185/85. My nurse came into the room, looked at me, and said, "Are you in pain?" I told her no, and she said, "You'd tell me if you were, right?" She left the room, came back in about 10 minutes later, and said, "Would you take a pain pill for me? I think you're in pain and don't know it." I said OK and she gave me 5mg. oxycodone. Almost immediately I started to relax and my discomfort went away. The nurse chatted with my roommate and me for about 20 mins, then took my blood pressure again. It was down to 140/70. Apparently I'd been in pain but didn't recognize it as pain. Now I know- when I get that tight feeling in my abdomen, check my bp and take my pain pill. It really does help.

My problem was that they at first wanted to give me morphine in the hospital and I said no. When I got home I, like you, figured that a certain amount of pain was normal. I mean a c-section 25 years ago! But the pain was keeping me from eliminating a bowel movement. I think once I took the Vicodin I could go!

I definitely take my pain meds. My mom has cancer, and she's been taught to always ""stay ahead" of the pain. So every 4 hours I take a pain pill. Obviously I can't do that overnight, but if I wake up in discomfort bordering to pain, I start up again. Of course you can't do this forever, but it is bad for your body to be in pain as you can see through the bp numbers. I plan to lower mine after my 1 week postop

Edited by rolosmom7

Kjcor. That's great you are on puréed food that soon. I totally feel like I could eat purée now at 3 days out. I know all surgeons have different plans, and I would love to hear more about your surgeons reasoning about starting purée sooner than usually allowed.

I've never really asked his reasoning but he stressed the need to take in Protein to help speed healing and the need to be active to decrease the risk of other post surgical complications. I find that at 7 days post op and am able to take in 64 oz of Water and 60g of pureed Protein with no difficulty. I am able to walk for 30 minutes at a time without feeling tired or light headed. I do have some pain in my large incision site but thats all. I actually feel pretty normal at a week post op.

I just had mine on the 16th and first 3days were painful with gas but today I feel amazing I am sipping my first muscle milk shake I'm finding icee's go down the easiest

I'm having trouble figuring out what my stomach can hold and when it's gas or I've gone too far

I'm a week out. I'm trying to walk a little every day. I've had back pain since my surgery and nothing liquid is appetizing but I know I'm just gonna have to force myself to get it down. I'm trying to drink as much Water but I still haven't passed even the 20 oz mark but tomorrow I will!!! I'm determined!!!!!

attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByBariatricPal1479780757.338629.jpg

This actually is tasteless!!! I put it in my icees so I make everything I eat a Protein something!!

Where do you buy this? Have you tried GENEPRO? Gene pro is what I've been using. It says it is unflavored but it is FAR FROM IT!! Also, how big is the sccoop and how much Protein does it offer