Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please helpme.... been in pain for two days!

Hello

I've had my gastric band since December and had my 2nd band fill two weeks ago yesterday. It's definitely much tighter than it ever has been before as I can eat so much less.

The problem is that I've had pain where my band is for almost 48 hours now. I don't know if I've got some food stuck or not, I have actually been removing food from my mouth if I can't chew it up to smooth. The pain is a sharp pain that is hurting my chest and around my back too, it sometimes surges to be worse. It's hard to explain! I've taken antacid tablets as I have had a bit of heartburn which I've not had since before I had the band until now. Do you think it's food stuck or is heartburn that much worse with a gastric band.

I've contacted bupa and my surgeon but am waiting for someone to call me back.

Has anyone else had the same problem? 48 hours seems an awful long time to feel like this!

I've tried milk, antacids, coke to try and shift anything if there is something stuck, is there anything else I can try? I've tried making myself sick but can't manage it.

Any advice gratefully received, I'm desperate!

Nina X

Nothing else I can think of, only that you really need to get ahold of, and probably see your doc. Soon. Sometimes people's fills don't "kick in" restriction for a couple of weeks, you may be way overfilled. You may have slipped, you may have any number of things going on.

Are you able to eat? If you are able to eat or drink and swallow (and keep it down), you likely aren't stuck.

I'd call them every hour or so just to check on when someone will be calling me back, or when they want me to come in.

I get a pain where if I take a deep breath it is excrutiating. I didn't know what it was at first but now I know. It is gas. Try Gas-X and see if you can try forcing yourself to burp. Most of all relax. Anxiety makes it worse. Try walking too.

I would continue to call your Dr and get in to see him TODAY!

It could just be that your to tight.

Like jojo said anxiety does make it worse.

You could try mixing some food tenderizor with some Water and drinking that in the mean time. If you do have any food stuck that will help disolve it so I have been told.

Good luck...CALL YOUR DR

Nina:

Did you get a hold of your doc on Friday? I had the same symptoms and had to be completely unfilled as it looked like I had a slip on fluero. I am going back in a week and a half to look at my band and make sure everything is in the correct place. DON'T LET THIS GO ON TOO LONG...I did and was in pain for 2 weeks before seeing the doc. Good Luck! Steph

Thanks for all your replies!!!! I did get to see the surgeon on Friday, though it was a different bariatric surgeon as mine is on holiday. He's assured me that nothing is stuck and it's simply a case of my band being a bit too tight. He's advised me to stick to a liquid diet for a couple of weeks while the swelling goes down. He did gice me the option of having some of the Fluid taken out but I decided against this unless it carries on for too long. I'm still very uncomfortable but it does seem to be improving day by day. I think the worst thing now is the back pain I'm getting with it - stange hey? I woke up this morning at 3.15am with really bad back pain adjacent to the band and really bad heart burn again - I could have cried!:cry

What I'd give for some solid food again! :cry

The main thing is I haven't got anything masjor wrong with me! He did tell me that if food was stuck I actually wouldn't be able to swallow my own saliva.

Thanks again! XXXX

Hi Nina,

Could it be gall bladder? I have had gall bladder pain and it can be in the back and is very painful. It can be brought on by changes in eating habits. Your gall bladder is on the right side under your ribcage. Is it tender there? The pain from gall bladder can be all around the front and to the back but I also usually get a tender spot right on my gall bladder especially if I touch it...just a thought. Hope you feel better soon.