Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Can't I Get Anyone To Help Me??

I am thinking about Lap Band as an option to loose weight, but I can't get my Caseworker to tell me if MEDICAID will cover it!! I spent two hours in the office today just so someone can give me info!! PLEASE PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME IF MEDICAID PAYS FOR LAP BAND IN PEORIA ILLINOIS, AND IF SO ANY DOCTORS WILL TAKE IT??? DANG!!:(:mad::):mad::car::mad::D:mad:

I know that Medicare covers lapband, I dont know about Medicaid. Look around on this site,there are 7 hospitals in Illinois that are Medicare approved facilities.The hospital must be certified as a Center of Excellence. If you dont find your answer here call one of the hospitals and talk to their Bariatric Department and ask them. I know it is frustrating goodluck.

Bariatric Surgery

Sorry to hear your frustration. Don't know anything about Ill, but I live in Cali and it doesn't matter what insurance you have, it's all a pain in the you know what! My best friend is her own advocate. She's doing all the work herself. Dont' get frustrated over being on the phone for two hours, there are many more hours to come. Just keep it up and set aside an hour or two a day to be onthe phone to do your research. Don't take no for an answer either. If you truely need the surgery, it will come to you. Keep up the calls, and congratulations on your new part time job! haha

I have to echo what Dana just said above me.

I am my own best advocate and they developed through years of frustration and my determination to become my own medical advocate.

Lucky for us, we have the internet. You would be better off to call your state government agency in the capitol in Springfield (let's see if my geography is right). Start from the top and then work your way down to a person or office that may help. Here are some suggestions:

Write yourself a script and practice reading it:

My name is **** and I live in (city). I'm calling because I am attempting to find out if I have coverage through my Medicaid on a medical procedure. I have contacted my caseworker and I think five weeks is enough time to know if it is a covered benefit. Unfortunately I don't have an answer yet and that is why I'm calling.

(they might say) What is it that you want to know about?

(you say) The Lap Band which is a gastric procedure for morbid

obesity.

( they may say) We don't deal with that here.

(you say) Okay, can you direct me to the appropriate agency?

(they may say) I would continue to try your caseworker...

(you say) Again, I am very frustrated and simply would like an

answer as to if it is a covered benefit.

What you want: Is it a covered benefit and if so who is the doctor in your area to see/hospitals with a bariatrics program.

Be nice.

Be understanding that you are one in one hundred plus calls they take.

Be polite and say thank you.

Ask the person's name and that them by name.

Write down their name, the time and date after you hang up. Write a brief summary of what was said so that when you call their supervisor in six weeks, you can have a detailed recollection of who, what, where and when.

....been down that long and winding road more times than I care to recall.

Good luck.

..........................What I found with a GOOGLE search

HFS Agency Information

I know that Dr. Gilman in Decatur accepts Medicaid for the LapBand surgery. You may try there if you have not found anyone yet.