Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weird.

i knew months ahead of time what i wanted to do , i didnt binge eat but kind of just ate what i wanted for a few weeks, when i had my first visit /weigh in i was surprised at my weight...226 highest ever but it gave me some wiggle room during my 3 month visits

I don't see a physician giving you an opportunity to gain weight. They consider this a drastic surgery to be to be taken under extreme measures only. Plus some insurances make you prove your history of being overweight through medical records, so if this is your plan research your insurance requirements thoroughly first, and gain the weight before your first appointment.

@@Frenchie1977 is correct. My insurance does not require a long time of being at the required weight, but many do. I would research that if I were you. Have you considered self-pay? Then you can do it whenever you want.

What's weird??

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Sorry Mom, I just cannot imagine someone telling you to gain weight to pay for surgery. It struck me as weird and off popped my mouth. Maybe there is more to this such as severe health problems? Make a good informed decision and good luck!

@ Loopylulu no problem I agree it does sound odd that's why I have been trying to learn as much as possible before I do anything too dramatic I am barely under where I need to be to qualify but that's with me watching what I eat so I'm sure if I didn't really watch my diet I would be at a 40 BMI

The struggles are real. My health was severely declining with onset diabetes, asthma, HBP, so I qualified for the sleeve. It has drastically changed my life. My husband has had diabetes 40 years, so that is what scared me the most. I can now walk a block without gasping, my feet are slender, not puffed up with fluids, and I am off Metformin, and off one HBP med. I wish everyone the best!

Has anyone ever went to their first appointment and been under weight and had a physician give you an opportunity to gain weight to have surgery done??

Sounds crooked to me... Sorry. If you're underweight naturally, I don't understand the need to have WLS. Are we missing some facts?

@ Loopylulu no problem I agree it does sound odd that's why I have been trying to learn as much as possible before I do anything too dramatic I am barely under where I need to be to qualify but that's with me watching what I eat so I'm sure if I didn't really watch my diet I would be at a 40 BMI

Ah, just refresh and saw this. It's an insurance problem. Perhaps your doctor can list any health problems that you are having to convince them? That's what my doctor did after they refused.

Ive seen some things on this board, people trying to gain weight to meet the required BMI, bending their knees a bit when getting measured, and someone even wore ankle weights. If you're on the borderline I would consider any of the ideas. My insurance won't cover so I just had to be above 35 BMI

Sai187 I am not crooked I am at a 38 BMI but that has been because I have been working to keep the weight off I have been overweight my entire life and have tried all the fad diets nothing has worked and I feel like the sleeve is my best option right now just curious if I don't have any others health issues if I would be able to gain my weight back to qualify sorry if you felt like I was trying to cheat the system I honestly am not just tired of feeling this way....

Sai187 I am not crooked I am at a 38 BMI but that has been because I have been working to keep the weight off I have been overweight my entire life and have tried all the fad diets nothing has worked and I feel like the sleeve is my best option right now just curious if I don't have any others health issues if I would be able to gain my weight back to qualify sorry if you felt like I was trying to cheat the system I honestly am not just tired of feeling this way....

Omgosh, I didn't mean you at all. I'm so sorry that you took it that way. :( I meant the doctor, not you. I also responded after I refreshed the thread and saw you put some more facts (i.e. it's an insurance issue).