Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Second thoughts?

I have my surgery scheduled for 9/10 and I'm doing the preop diet. Well has anyone had second thoughts about getting the band? I'm scared about the debt and the surgery not working. Sometimes I get to thinking that maybe I could still lose weight by other means, but I've been there done that and failed miserably. I feel like I have a little angel on one shoulder and a little devil on the other one (like the cartoons) telling me "Do it, it will be worth it and you will be healthy" "No, don't do it. Do weight watchers because the band is too expensive". I've done so much research and I know in my heart of hearts that this is the tool that I need. I guess I'm just getting scared since the surgery is around the corner. Also, my husband needs the band too, but we can only have one of us do it right now. I feel selfish because he is on three blood pressure meds and I am only borderline diabetic but have a higher bmi. Am I being selfish for having it done first and not my husband. I never realized how much self-talk and guilt and nervousness was involved in having the band. :think

I think having second thoughts is totally normal!! If you've come this far then your rational side probably knows that this is the right thing to do, don't let fear cloud your judgement! When I'd get nervous before the surgery I'd come on this forum and read through the threads and see how almost everyone said that they never regretted things for a second... Looking at the before & after pic thread also made me feel better about proceeding.. For me, I knew If I was 27 and never able to lose weight on my own - then some day I was going to be 55 and never able to lose weight.. I was sick of failing!! Goodluck with everything and if this is really what you want, then don't let the little devil on your shoulder do any of the talking.. take care!! :clap2:

I think having second thoughts is totally normal!! If you've come this far then your rational side probably knows that this is the right thing to do, don't let fear cloud your judgement! When I'd get nervous before the surgery I'd come on this forum and read through the threads and see how almost everyone said that they never regretted things for a second... Looking at the before & after pic thread also made me feel better about proceeding.. For me, I knew If I was 27 and never able to lose weight on my own - then some day I was going to be 55 and never able to lose weight.. I was sick of failing!! Goodluck with everything and if this is really what you want, then don't let the little devil on your shoulder do any of the talking.. take care!! :clap2:

Thank you Mary 2b150. We have the same goal weight. For my height my weight should be around 130. Um I would be skin and bones. So I am shooting for 150 which I was once as a teenager (17) and looked good at that weight, but arrived at that weight by starvation/anorexia.

I could have and I'm sure a few others could have written this e-mail before we got banded too. I know for me I was trying to chicken out the night before my suregery. My insurance company paid for most of it but I still had about $2k out of pocket and I have to say I'd spend it all over again. I tried Weight Watchers, Medifast, Nutrasystem, and all of those other fad diets for almost 20 years and the only thing they got me was more weight on my already big butt!!

Now that I'm past the liquid/mushie phases and I'm eating real food and re-educating myself how I should have been eating all along I'm confident that this tool (the band) is going to work!

Take care of yourself the rest will work itself out.

I never once had second thoughts. I knew that God was showing me that the band was the answer to my many prayers. I am so thrilled with my band and my progress. I suppose that this may have been different if I was self pay, but ultimately you have to do what is best for you and for your family. Being healthy is important to your families happiness, so I say go for it and never look back. Good luck!

I think I had about a half a nano-second of a second thought and then I said "Damn the Cheeseburgers! Full waddle ahead!" Never looked back. ZERO regrets!

Ditto to the above......the only second thoughts are 'thank god I did this!"

As for having your band before your husband..if you go first, get your weight down, learn to cook the right foods, test the good supplements, learn to eat right, then you will be better prepared to take care of your husband after he has his - if you are like most families, you have primary responsibility for the medical care, food prep/shopping - you can get it all figured out, then you can bring him in and lead the way. And as you go through your wls journey, he can begin to eat better, lose some weight and then be in good shape for his own surgery. JMHO......

GayleTx that sounds like a great idea. That way you don't have TWO people bumbling around making the mistakes and going "Drat...we'll know better next time..." Have one person who paves the way...the pioneer, if you will, and by the time hubby gets his the drill will be old hat....also, hubby will have some anticipation of what to expect by watching his wife beforehand.

As for having your band before your husband..if you go first, get your weight down, learn to cook the right foods, test the good supplements, learn to eat right, then you will be better prepared to take care of your husband after he has his - if you are like most families, you have primary responsibility for the medical care, food prep/shopping - you can get it all figured out, then you can bring him in and lead the way. And as you go through your wls journey, he can begin to eat better, lose some weight and then be in good shape for his own surgery. JMHO......

I think that Gayle has it right. If you do it first then you will know how to better care for your husband.

Good Luck and I know your doing the right thing! Keep positive thoughts and look forward to a wonderful "lighter" future you!

Rhonda

Yep, I had second thoughts....but I trusted what the people here at LBT were telling me and other newbies. Even people with complications were saying they'd do it again and it was the best thing they ever did. Jeez, if I had a dime for every time I read that phrase! That, and: "I love my band!!!" Nobody is paying us to say this stuff....we're just people and we mean every word! We've been in your shoes (remember?) and we know that this is a serious, life-altering decision. In spite of all that we all sound like a broken record: JUST DO IT!!! :eek: