Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liquids after PB

Just wondering how long to stay on liquids after a PB? Any advice?

Thanks,

Jodie

I PB all the time. I even do it recreationally for target practice. If I had to go on liquids every time I PB I would not be eating much solid food. I guess what I am trying to say is, I don't go on liquids after a PB. I think I've heard that some doctors say you should. I'll be interested to hear what others have to say about this.

If you have a chance I'd like to hear more about why at least 24 hours, and where you obtained that guidance. Also hopefully others will answer. I'd like to hear from other people if they abide by that rule too.

Okay, I'm gonna jump in here. My doc gave me a protocol for when one throws up food. This is for after the healing period (4 weeks out or more) and for when someone is experiencing discomfort (I get left shoulder pain when my pouch/opening is irritated...which happens from overeating sometimes or when I've thrown up)

1. Don't drink/eat anything for 12 hours. If your mouth is dry, swish Water around or gurgle. Following that, try some Water and see how it goes. If all goes well, go on liquids for 24 hours, making sure to get in Protein.

2. Then have water for morning and a Protein shake, followed by lunch of mushies (tuna salad, chicken salad, etc.....that type of texture, making sure to get in your protein). dinner same texture. Be sure and stay away from spicey stuff, Tomato stuff, orange, lemon, pineapple, carbonated, wine, beer, etc. (anything that will irritate your pouch area).

3. water, Protein Shake for Breakfast, then mushy lunch and then try regular food for dinner...small bites (bandster eating). If all goes well, then you are back on track

If you don't follow the first step and are experiencing problems, START fresh again!!

Now, there are times when I've slimed something or had an immediate pb, that I haven't followed this and been fine. But, there are other times when it's been a more severe episode and I've been forced to do this, as I've had difficulty with shoulder pain, etc. It's BEST to take care of any irritation as soon as you can, as if you continue in bad habits and causing irritation to your pouch area, you can get chronic problems that could result in more serious problems. If you are ever in doubt, PHONE YOUR DOCTOR!!

I had a lot of irritation after a too tight fill and me having problems and not taking care of it right away. I ended up getting a slight unfill, but still had to "work with it" and was on LIQUIDS more than I would've liked to be just to get everything feeling well again. So, again, take care of your band.

Hope this is helpful!!

I don't do liquids after PBing. After my first fill I was pbing some I guess from trying to figure out how to eat, how fast, and what to eat. For a week or so it was happening kind of often. I haven't PBed since last Saturday night. I guess I could ask the doc what she thinks when I go back in.

I think it depends on how bad the pb is. I had one that lasted for 2 hours. It was horrible. I am sure my stomach and band where very irritated. I went on liquids for a few days after that one.

I have had pbs that were just like the name. I burped and food came with it. I don't go on liquids when that happens.

I think you can tell how bad or irritated the esophagus is, and whether or not it needs a rest. It ends up feeling kind of like a sore throat.

I find threads such as this useful. I don't want to be throwing up every day and I don't want to go to hospital because of stuck food.

I'm usually able to eat in the evening but after this last fill, I PB if I eat after around 7pm. This happened two nights in a row. I believe the really bad PB on the second night was because I hadn't been sticking to liquids and my stomach was still irritated from the previous day. One unchewed kidney bean was the culprit.

I have learnt my lesson and am on liquids for the next 24 hours to give my stomach a rest. Also, when I go back to eating, I'll make sure I do it earlier to avoid this problem. Also, I obviously need to chew more and not just swallow because the food is of soft texture. I should have had refried beans!

I take room temp clear fluids and if I've had a PB I give my stomach a rest. (it will typically swell after this)

I have not been here for a while. I am so discouraged with this whole thing! I am ready to give up. I had my third fill on a Monday. I gave it four days before eating solids. Could not eat Friday night without getting sick. Seems nothing would go down. Worse on Saturday. By Sunday, I was scared. I was upset, weak and did nothing but sleep. I phoned my Dr. and her machine said if it was an emergency, call 911. It was not. The machine went on to say if you require immediate attention, page Dr. at .........., which I did. She called back immediately and went on to say, "Why didn't you call during the week?" "This could of been handled during business hours." She seemed absolutely put out that I would call on a Sunday. I was so shocked that I tuned her out and continued to cry. She said I sounded upset...no kidding. I am scheduled to see her Oct. 17th and don't even want to see her. Still not eating normal and don't care. How do I get back on track?:help:

Why Oct 17th? It sounds like you need an un-fill now! Don't let the dr's brusque attitude get you down. Talk to the nurse on mon. and she can give you what you need.

I was overfilled and it was miserable. I was throwing up in my sleep.< /p>

I stayed on liquids only until I could get an unfill. I lost 8 lbs in a week. That's the only good thing that came out of it. I had egg flower Soup every day.

My doc says nothing at all by mouth for six hours and liquids for the remainder of the day.

If you don't give your stoma a break you'll just cause more swelling and more PBing.

Honestly, I don't stick to the six hour of nothing by mouth rule because usually I can sip Water without a problem. But I do stick to the 'liquids for the remainder of the day' rule.

Mark... why are you PBing so much? What are you doing to stop it?

GOOD QUESTION ANNA, I TOO HAVE THOUGHT WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU NEED TO THROW UP THROUGH ILLMESS NOT JUST PBING? IF THE STOMA IS RESTRICTED HOW DOES THE SICK GET UP AND OUT? VERY WORRYING:omg: