Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Form/Physical

I was wondering if anybody got their pre-op form filled out at a walk-in clinic? My family Dr. is away so in order to have my form sent to the weight loss clinic 2 weeks prior to surgery, I have to go to a walk-in clinic.

I was wondering if anybody got their pre-op form filled out at a walk-in clinic? My family Dr. is away so in order to have my form sent to the weight loss clinic 2 weeks prior to surgery, I have to go to a walk-in clinic.

My family Dr. did mine but depepnding on when your regular Dr. comes back you might just want to phone the clinic & see if it can wait until you regular Dr. can do it.

If that does not work, I guess you could phone the walk-in clinic & see if they can do it. I dont see it being a big deal if the walk-in is at the same clinic where you regular Dr. is.

Andrew

I asked Claudia from the WLSC and she said you can get it done at any clinic. Seems funny to me since a walk-in clinic wouldn't have any history on you and would basically have to take your word for any information you give them to put on the form.

It's so hard to get to my family doctor anyways due to me working in downtown T.O. and he being in Oshawa.

Liana the walk-in clinic is just fine -the pre-op form is very basic and any provider can fill it in - even an NP would be able to complete the physical as it is not greatly detailed. I have read of others having their forms completed through walk-in clinics - just be prepared for the cost as it will likely not be covered.

Cindy

Hi all, I was banded at TLBC and I wasn't required to get a physical or anything filled in by my family doctor (which I was very surprised by). I filled in a medical history questionnaire and was required to get blood tests, a chest xray, and an ECG and have the results faxed to the clinic. I am curious about how the Mississauga clinic operates so I wonder if you'd mind answering a couple of questions? Note, I'm not at all dissatisfied with TLBC, it's been fine so far-just curious...

Did you folks have to get any medical tests or was the form signed by your doctor sufficient?

Does your surgeon meet with you before the day of the surgery (Dr. Yau only met with me a few minutes prior to me going into the operating room)?

I've read other posts that seem to indicate there is a 2 week post op check-up performed which is something not done (at least for me) at TLBC. Does the surgeon do the check or a nurse or someone else?

Any info to satisfy my idle curiosity would be great if you don't mind sharing. Thanks!

Here is my experience:

Hi all, I was banded at TLBC and I wasn't required to get a physical or anything filled in by my family doctor (which I was very surprised by). I filled in a medical history questionnaire and was required to get blood tests, a chest xray, and an ECG and have the results faxed to the clinic. I am curious about how the Mississauga clinic operates so I wonder if you'd mind answering a couple of questions? Note, I'm not at all dissatisfied with TLBC, it's been fine so far-just curious...!

There was a form that was filled out by my Dr. and some questions that he asked me about on the form if I recall. I was pretty young, and in otherwise good health so there was not too many other things that I needed.

Did you folks have to get any medical tests or was the form signed by your doctor sufficient? !

They required blood tests before, I am not sure what they all were but there was several on the form. I remember one being to do with clotting time and blood counts because they had to take mine twice as my Dr. forgot to put one on the form, and Nurse Ratchet that took my blood the first time left a huge bruise and the next one asked me who the hell did that to you.

Does your surgeon meet with you before the day of the surgery (Dr. Yau only met with me a few minutes prior to me going into the operating room)? !

I met with Dr. Coburn the day before. I dont think it was nessecary, but it may me useful for those who have last minute concerns. He also met with me the day of my surgery before they walked me into the OR

I've read other posts that seem to indicate there is a 2 week post op check-up performed which is something not done (at least for me) at TLBC. Does the surgeon do the check or a nurse or someone else?!

I did not have a two week with Dr. Coburn as I am in Calgary, but I did have one with my Dr. just to make sure that they insicions looked okay and that everything was normal.

Andrew

Nurse Ratchet that took my blood the first time left a huge bruise and the next one asked me who the hell did that to you.

Actually Andrew your "Nurse Ratchet" was likely not a nurse, but a phlebotomist and trained in venipuncture and lab work rather than nursing. :phanvan would not be too happy if this was the behaviour of a professional nurse - and no matter who it was, it was inappropriate and unprofessional.

Cindy

Lizster my experience was similar to Andrew's with the difference being that I am only two hours away from the clinic and have the ability to get there much more easily. I'll add my experieces in your post.

Hi all, I was banded at TLBC and I wasn't required to get a physical or anything filled in by my family doctor (which I was very surprised by). I filled in a medical history questionnaire and was required to get blood tests, a chest xray, and an ECG and have the results faxed to the clinic. I am curious about how the Mississauga clinic operates so I wonder if you'd mind answering a couple of questions? Note, I'm not at all dissatisfied with TLBC, it's been fine so far-just curious...

Did you folks have to get any medical tests or was the form signed by your doctor sufficient?

Pre-op physcial completed by family doc - could be completed by walkin clinic as well as a nurse practitioner. Lab work ordered by the clinic and I had the requisition with me to take to the lab - usual screening for anemia, blood film, blood sugar, electrolytes, liver and kidney function a well as ECG as I am over 50. No need for Chest x-ray.

Does your surgeon meet with you before the day of the surgery (Dr. Yau only met with me a few minutes prior to me going into the operating room)?

As I am local, I did meet Dr. Cobourn during the consult and made my husband ask the tough questions he wanted answered - I had done my homework, it was all I could do to get him to read the clinic information. We met for about 35 minutes and then Dr. C. and I both pulled out our blackberries to coordinate the surgery date - I needed to have it coincide with vacation.

On the day of surgery I met with Sue for about 10 minutes and she went over the post-op instructions, helped me change, and just got to know me a bit. Then Dr. C. came in and we chatted for a few minutes just to review the OR and make sure I didn't have any other questions.

I spent a longer time with the anaesthesiologist as we had not yet met, and he did a quick oral exam, we talked about the meds he was going to use - I am familiar with all of them through work, and that really helped as I knew what I would feel in the 5 seconds I had before I was asleep -

I met the OR nurses and really felt supported and cared for - certainly helpful in making sure I had an easy induction - a relaxed patient goes to sleep much faster and easier.

I've read other posts that seem to indicate there is a 2 week post op check-up performed which is something not done (at least for me) at TLBC. Does the surgeon do the check or a nurse or someone else?

I will be going back next Friday for my post-op - my choice as I could have tried to see my family doc. I will see the nurse unless I really think I need to see the doctor - I won't as everything is going really well and both the clinic nurses have advanced training in lapbanding and follow-up. I've met them both already, one at the consult and the other on the day of surgery.

Any info to satisfy my idle curiosity would be great if you don't mind sharing. Thanks!

There are subtle differences in the clinics, but really they all belong to the same profession, and have the same evidence based approach to helping us gain control over our lives with this tool. I think it is a matter of everyone doing their homework and figuring out what it is that they need to succeed.

As Canadians we don't always take this approach, thinking we shouldn't make waves or something.

Cindy

Actually Andrew your "Nurse Ratchet" was likely not a nurse, but a phlebotomist and trained in venipuncture and lab work rather than nursing. :phanvan would not be too happy if this was the behaviour of a professional nurse - and no matter who it was, it was inappropriate and unprofessional.

Cindy

You are right. She made a mess of my hand as they were not able to get a vein in Pilsbury Dough Boy arms. I dont normally bruise but I was sore for a long time. The next person who took my blood and my family Dr. both asked me about it. It was ugly.

Oh well,

Andrew

Hi Lori - doing well thanks - week 1 complete and think this was harder than the Optifast phase. On to purees. Haven't heard from Debbie yet - hopefully all is well.

Cindy

Hi Gaffer/Andrew, thanks for the info! I wish you well on getting to your goal weight by Christmas. If you can do in 4 more months, what a great achievement!