Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Pre Op Liquid Diet Variations?

Hello all, so my surgery is set for Sept 12th. I have my pre op on Sept 7th. I'm wondering why some people before surgery only have to do a 24hr clear liquid diet, some have a three day or two week liquid diet. I have no weight loss mandate but yet I had a three week liquid diet that's way too much and too long if you ask me. I can't even get in all those shakes and all those Fiber supplements plus Water. I have been doing it and that's fine but what's with all the different diets? I think a three day fast and cleanse plus all Clear Liquids would be enough though. What are you guys doing for your pre op? And how are you making it through so far??

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

What I was told was the 2 week liquid diet my surgeon had us do was so that our bodies we go into ketosis, which would shrink the liver.

If our liver was too big, it would be too difficult to do the surgery safely and the surgeon would just close back up.

Good luck! You'll do great!

Every doc is different. Mine basis your pre op liquid diet based upon your beginning weight. Mine was 3 weeks long. Seriously. I saw the doc the day before surgery in his office and begged him to let me eat a turkey sub for dinner that night. He laughed and said soon enough- just not now. 5 months later still haven't had one! And now, I couldn't care less.

What I was told was the 2 week liquid diet my surgeon had us do was so that our bodies we go into ketosis, which would shrink the liver.

If our liver was too big, it would be too difficult to do the surgery safely and the surgeon would just close back up.

Good luck! You'll do great!

Thank you so much. I appreciate it. So I understand ketosis but what I don't get is how they have me drink milk w the powder shakes and eat yogurt which has sugar and so does the milk. That would prevent me from going into ketosis. Tomorrow I may just eliminate the milk and the yogurt. I'm on insulin so that doesn't help me lose anything. Only lost one pound week one.

Every doc is different. Mine basis your pre op liquid diet based upon your beginning weight. Mine was 3 weeks long. Seriously. I saw the doc the day before surgery in his office and begged him to let me eat a turkey sub for dinner that night. He laughed and said soon enough- just not now. 5 months later still haven't had one! And now, I couldn't care less.

Haha. Cute story, thanks. I know exactly what you mean. I'm back on my liquid diet tomorrow up until surgery. I can't wait. Just what this done already.

@@bellalulu

Skim milk with the shakes.

As for the yogurt? Well, for most that is not considered "liquid" in a liquid diet. liquid diet means Water, your Protein shakes, clear broth, SF Jello and perhaps SF Popsicles. That's it.

If you are allowed yogurt do Greek, like the Danon Triple Zero or Danon Light and Fit Greek.

@@LisaMergs

Thank you. And yes I have bought the triple zero. They are good and I'm sure help with the Probiotics which they want us to have too. So I should be grateful I can do yogurts. Thanks so much for your help.

My pleasure!!! Tell me? Sleeve or bypass for you? PM me and I'll be happy to buddy up with you to help any way I can.

@@LisaMergs

Thank you. And yes I have bought the triple zero. They are good and I'm sure help with the probiotics which they want us to have too. So I should be grateful I can do yogurts. Thanks so much for your help.

My pleasure!!! Tell me? Sleeve or bypass for you? PM me and I'll be happy to buddy up with you to help any way I can.

Awww, so kind of you. Sounds awesome because other than this site and YouTube or other FB pages I'm on my own with this. All my besties live out of town and out of my state. And family is very supportive but no one really knows the journey before but others who have gone through it. My only regret is that I didn't do this sooner. I had been scared away by some bad stories but three three friends and my mom in law had surgery and they are doing fantastic. And I'm having RNY, I am a type 2 Diabetic now on insulin, I'm only 5ft at 265. Looking forward to living the life I once had.

I'm a little confused about the pre op liquid diet as well. I went for my pre testing today. I was not put on a all liquid diet until the day before surgery and a laxative the night before as well. I was told to eat half of what I usually eat due to the fact that I need to shrink my liver. She was saying most people don't do good when you tell them they can't have something. Lol! So I guess I will eat light until the 20th.

Sent from my VS985 4G using the BariatricPal App

I've always wondered this as well. My surgeon only requires an under 1000 calorie diet for 10 days if your BMI is under 49 if your BMI is over 49 you do it for 14 days. Mine was under so I had to do 10 days. My surgery is on the 8th and I've lost 7 lbs on the pre op diet. Tomorrow I can eat a normal Breakfast then a light lunch but then I have to do the bowel cleanse at 3 and can't eat anything after that. It's all to shrink the amount of fat around the liver.

I'm a little confused about the pre op liquid diet as well. I went for my pre testing today. I was not put on a all liquid diet until the day before surgery and a laxative the night before as well. I was told to eat half of what I usually eat due to the fact that I need to shrink my liver. She was saying most people don't do good when you tell them they can't have something. Lol! So I guess I will eat light until the 20th.

Awesome. And be glad that's all you have to do. One day is easy peasy. And do cut the portions in half because I did that and to some miraculous surprise when I went w my hubby to eat a normal meal. I couldn't and I still can't. And truly I was amazed. For one, even though I wasn't a big binge eater or an all day snacker, when I ate my main meal, I ate. So I know the size of my meals and how I get hungry and normally eat. To my surprise my stomach shrunk. I didn't lose anything because of my daily insulin shots but I saw the portions go way down and so did my jelly belly. Lol now it's back on full liquids and shakes, broth and yogurts. Good luck though.

I've always wondered this as well. My surgeon only requires an under 1000 calorie diet for 10 days if your BMI is under 49 if your BMI is over 49 you do it for 14 days. Mine was under so I had to do 10 days. My surgery is on the 8th and I've lost 7 lbs on the pre op diet. Tomorrow I can eat a normal Breakfast then a light lunch but then I have to do the bowel cleanse at 3 and can't eat anything after that. It's all to shrink the amount of fat around the liver.

Your profile pic is so pretty!! So congrats on your weight loss! That's really awesome. Trust me, your liver has already shrunk. Keep up the good work. As for me, my scale is fighting me. Haha. It is what it is but my portions are way smaller and now I get full with so little and all that will help us even more after the fact. Let me know how you do. And don't be nervous. Omg. Isn't your surgery tomorrow. ??? Prayers sent your way tonight.

Awesome. And be glad that's all you have to do. One day is easy peasy. And do cut the portions in half because I did that and to some miraculous surprise when I went w my hubby to eat a normal meal. I couldn't and I still can't. And truly I was amazed. For one, even though I wasn't a big binge eater or an all day snacker, when I ate my main meal, I ate. So I know the size of my meals and how I get hungry and normally eat. To my surprise my stomach shrunk. I didn't lose anything because of my daily insulin shots but I saw the portions go way down and so did my jelly belly. Lol now it's back on full liquids and shakes, broth and yogurts. Good luck though.

Thanks.