Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gas problem after band is this normal?

Hello everyone,

I am a newbie to this forum looking for an answer to my question. I am a recent lap band owner (July 24, 2007). I have been doing well with the band without any complications during 3 phases of the diet change. (Lost over 25 pounds so far). I have just started experiancing some discomfort with what I assume is Gas pockets? I can eat as suppose too, but later I have a build-up of gas. I want to "belch" it out, but feel like it is stuck. At times I experiance sharp pains for a brief second or two until the urge to "belch" is gone. Is this normal with the Lap Band? I have tried taking Gas-x and Phayzine which has helped a little, but the problem has persisted now for 3-4 days. Any ideas or experiances similar to my symptoms?

Thank you in advance for any responses.:cry

:welcomeB:

Take some time, look around here, you'll find there's loads of great info. And yes, you are right, it is one of the MOST common things that happens after banding, GAS.

There's loads of threads and topics about it, so don't feel alone. I've only been banded a month more than you, so I can't speak to whether it gets better farther out, but I belch all the time. Though my "lower end" gas post band is much improved from what it was pre-band.<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Thank you for the welcome faithmd and the response. I don't mind the belching in fact I wish I could to that. The problem is I can't seem to and when I try it feels stuck. It even hurts a little like it does if you swallow air or drink something that goes the wrong way. Anyhow, I will keep searching the sight for similar symptom stories and try and learn more.

Thank you again!

Sorry Chin, yes, I get that, too. I cannot belch sometimes and it feels like I sooooo want to. I think that's the gas that gets stuck in the lower part of our stomach. I have found that the times that I can go and walk after I eat that seems to happen less and less. Sometimes I just can't go and walk, though. Sometimes if you lay on your right side that will allow the food to go down into the lower part of your stomach and the gas can then hopefully move to the top and perhaps come out when you stand or sit back up.

Sadly, it seems moving and walking is the best answer to gas pains be they in the tummy or lower down. It really does get the digestive tract working.

I read somewhere that papaya and pineapple enzyme (chewable tabs) can help not only with a stuck episode (helps to breal down the stuck food), but it can help with digestion and moving the food through the tract better.

Hope this helps, sorry I didn't write more about it the first time!

I was banded in Jan.2004, a year later had a slippage and had to have my band replaced. After the new band I found I had soooooooooo much gas that I could go into a farting competition and win hands down. I could not belch, no way I could bring the air back up most of the time and it will end up in my bowels. I had such bad pains, the docs. kept saying that it has nothing to do with the band, that it's most like something like IBS or some allergy. Had so many test/xrays etc, finally it was found through gastroscopy (sp?) that my band was too high up, basically had no pouch and it was sitting on top of my oesophagus. So I went into surgery again and the band was lowered. That was last year in Sept., for six month everything was fine, no gas, felt quite good BUT this April, alll my symptoms have come back and with a vengence. Most times I feel I have a baby kicking around in my tummy and I am in so much pain. Few times I nearly fainted, which is not uncommon if the intesines/bowels are constantly stretching and contracting. Once again I had umpteen tests with all negative results. My theory is that the band has slipped back up onto my oesophagus, and making my life a misery. Early october I am seeing my surgeon and I am having this band out. I had enough of this awful existense. Reading on this board and on others, I truly believe that for every happy bandster there are two others who suffer with their band.