Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 Months post op and Appetite is coming back !

So, I will be 6 months post op in few days time.

Just recently I noticed that my appetite is coming back, and that I can eat larger portions .....

The honeymoon is over!

I lost interest in food for many months, but now I get hungry more, and need regular meals.

I still measure my portions and ensure I consume enough Protein.

What concerns me is that after a meal I feel I could eat more .....

I am still not at my goal weight, so can't be on maintenance, and need to have the same small portions.

For anyone who is over 6 months post op, when did you notice you could eat more, and how did you cope with increased appetite?

Really appreciate some feedback, thank you!

I had surgery 8 months ago and I just went back to the doctor this week to check to see if something was wrong because the same thing has been happening to me only I was about 5 months into having had surgery.

The doctor indicated that there is something called "HEAD HUNGER" and once I evaluated where my mind was after surgery it's true for me! It's the whole idea that I so desperately want to be regular like I was before surgery and so I give into the voices in my head that says, "Go ahead and enjoy your life...after all this new journey has been hard work!" In other words I was letting myself off the hook. Instead I just started telling myself that I have been given a gift (surgery) and I MUST do WHAT'S RIGHT JUST BECAUSE IT IS RIGHT! So I feel way more empowered to stay focused on the gift and not the temptation and so far this has motivated me to stay on track to a healthier new me REGARDLESS IF THE SURGERY WORKS OR NOT! I'm determine to reach my goal!

Another component is that your surgeon may have used what they call a larger "bougie" size which is all dependent upon your body type. So your pouch may be larger than someone else's. In this instance you should go back to him and ask for a swallow test (MRI) to see if this is the case just to ease your mind. Below is a helpful website to give you a frame of reference until you discover the truth about your unique situation.

http://www.wlshelp.com/news/sleeve-gastrectomy-does-size-matter/

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

At 5 months out. I could eat more and felt hungry. I'm 2 years out. I eat 1 and 1/2 cups of salad or veggies with each meal. The Fiber keeps me full and satisfied.

Sent from my SM-G920T using the BariatricPal App

@@Mrs.Rich

Thank you for that. I may ask my surgeon re bougie size, as I was lower BMI. Thank you for the article link.

With me, it is not so much head hunger, my thoughts are more like: "how come I don't feel full anymore on my 1/2 cup portion", and I try to wait now after my meal, and after a while the "I could eat more" passes.

For few months now I was eating well below my 800 cals per day set by my NUT, as I just wasn't hungry.

Now, I have my healthy Snacks when I feel hungry few hours in between meals, and get up to 700-800 cals per day.

I actually had few more carbs, such as serving of sweet potato, and after another 2 week stall, my weight has gone down about a pound.

So, at this stage, slightly increasing my calories and veggie portions is not doing any harm.

I know that in time many sleevers can eat more but providing they stick to the healthy foods, they can maintain their weight goal.

I just hope that I will be able to do the same.

I will see my NUT again, once I reach my target weight and talk about maintenance.

Thank you for your reply.

@@jenn1

Thank you! I am glad to hear that I am not the only one :)

I too look forward to the time, further down post op, to have more veggies and more Fiber. Yes, it will be more satisfying, and I am sure it will make me more regular too!

@ Krakow57

You are more than welcome! I am glad to share what I know so far and I'm sure you are as well. While this journey to weight loss has been victorious in many ways there are still so many things to discover about this process that only living this life can show you regardless of what our doctors may advise. I'm so glad for this journey, but if I'm honest it's not for the weak at heart. I'm discovering my true strength this process and often times I stand convicted because I use to think that people who had bariatric surgery were some how taking a short cut but BOY WAS I WRONG!!!! I now see that every pound lost or gained is EARNED!!! But we will get to the finish line with a gold medal!

@ Jenn1

What source of fiber do you use and how do you consume it?

Mr$.Rich

Yes, it is a process with few challenges and curve balls at times .....

As Dory (finding Nemo) used to say: "just keep swimming, just keep swimming" ...... :)

And Yay for that Gold Medal at the finish line!

I am 6months post op too and noticed the same. My NUT informed me this is normal at this point. She suggested I increase my Protein to 80-90 grams instead of 65 per day. So far I notice that when I keep this up my hunger is much less. I am also driking warm tea and went back to drinking chicken broth when I feel my stomach growling but know it is not time to have a meal. Another suggestion is stepping away from the table once you are done with your meal. Snacking on carrots, berries and watermelon has helped me these past few weeks.

@@LMSWNYC

Yes, I think it happens because our stomachs have finished healing, and appetite changes.

I too was supposed to be on 80g Protein per day, but mostly manage 60-65. I will increase the Proteins then.

Funny, I too drink hot chicken broth at times, and this helped my hungry but not at meal time cravings.

I just love my melons and berries for deserts these days, just like you.

I have finally lost bit more weight after a 3 week stall this time, so I am learning to know and accept this stage now.

Until another new stage arrives, in this post WLS process and journey.

Glad we can support each other krakow57!

This transition has not been easy but our resiliency and determination will help us continue to reach our goals. I believe we can do this! ???????? Stay strong!

@@LMSWNYC

Yes, definitely support each other. It is great to have this forum to help us and others to exchange and share experiences and support!

Agree re determination and resiliency, together with knowledge and right action will help us to reach our goals, and then maintain them.

Yes, this transition is not easy, I was hoping it would happen at 12 months, but it is happening now, so yes, got to stay strong and keep going forward one day at a time.

Best wishes to you :) and others who are going through this stage.

????????????????????????????????????????✍????????????????????????????

I completely agree!

Lets keep dancing, processing and meditating, reaching for our goals, planning our meals, working out, celebrating our small accomplishments, writing down our food intake, reading food labels, surrounding ourselves with positive support networks and always remembering to appreciate the rainbows! Happy Sunday !