Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any smokers out there?

Hi everyone!

This is my first time posting.. well, ever.

I just downloaded this app yesterday, and have read a lot of postings from others. Thank you for them, they've really helped me!

After almost two years of preparations... my surgery is scheduled for September 7th! I'm super happy! And nervous! And anxious! But mostly happy and excited!!!

I have a quick question for smokers. Anyone who is doing, or has done the sleeve surgery, who is also smoking.

My doctor said, "I will never encourage you to smoke, because it's bad for you, but it will have no impact on the surgery"

My anesthesiologist said, "it might impact your recovery a little".

Has anyone done the surgery and smoked cigarettes afterwards?

Does it impact you? Does it taste different? Does it feel weird, or make you feel bad?

If you've smoked after, how long did you wait until after the surgery to start again?

Any insight, stories or suggestions would be really, really appreciated!!

Thank you in advance, and good luck to everyone!!!!!

Maya

Sent from my SM-G935V using the BariatricPal App

Hi,

I am an ex- smoker (quit this past March). I am having my surgery two days after yours. I am not sure why your doctor said that smoking does not have an affect on your surgery because it can. It can increase your risk for blood clots and increase the time it will take for your wounds to heal. It can also affect your breathing (why your anesthesiologist might be concerned) during and post surgery. I have one suggestion if it will help. What helped me quit smoking was reading "The easy way to quit smoking" by Allen Carr. It took me 2 days to read and I quit after reading it and have not smoked since. Hope I helped, good luck????

Hi,

I am an ex- smoker (quit this past March). I am having my surgery two days after yours. I am not sure why your doctor said that smoking does not have an affect on your surgery because it can. It can increase your risk for blood clots and increase the time it will take for your wounds to heal. It can also affect your breathing (why your anesthesiologist might be concerned) during and post surgery. I have one suggestion if it will help. What helped me quit smoking was reading "The easy way to quit smoking" by Allen Carr. It took me 2 days to read and I quit after reading it and have not smoked since. Hope I helped, good luck????

Hi there,

Thank you so much! I'll definitely look into it and will give it a try.

I rephrased a little, he told me about the things that can occur if you smoke (the blood clot and taking longer to heal, etc) But he said that it won't impact my weight loss or the surgery itself.

I wish you the best with the surgery!! Best of luck

I'm right along with you. I am trying to quit and cut back a lot. I don't have a surgery date as of yet because I'm still in the process, but my Dr will give me a nicotine test and If I test positive, the surgery will be cancelled. I have no choice but to quit. I'm trying my hardest, I know I've heard a lot of different stories and it's harder to heal if you smoke and you may get blood clots. Hope this helps! Also, I purchased a e cig and that had been helping me a lot! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm right along with you. I am trying to quit and cut back a lot. I don't have a surgery date as of yet because I'm still in the process, but my Dr will give me a nicotine test and If I test positive, the surgery will be cancelled. I have no choice but to quit. I'm trying my hardest, I know I've heard a lot of different stories and it's harder to heal if you smoke and you may get blood clots. Hope this helps! Also, I purchased a e cig and that had been helping me a lot! Good luck!

Thank you! Best of luck in your surgery!!

My surgeon is completely against tobacco of any kind and has even gave me a pee test checking for anabasin and will test me again the morning of surgery.

He is not against nicotine and told me to choose which ever replacement I choose. I know these e cig are NOT the same but my goodness I'm thankful for them.

His concern is about my new stomach leaking and explained how horrible it can be if that ever happened.

He don't even want me around someone else that smokes for 8 wks after surgery and wouldn't have accepted me as a patient if my husband was a smoker

Edited by amyflores

My surgeon is completely against tobacco of any kind and has even gave me a pee test checking for anabasin and will test me again the morning of surgery.

He is not against nicotine and told me to choose which ever replacement I choose. I know these e cig are NOT the same but my goodness I'm thankful for them.

His concern is about my new stomach leaking and explained how horrible it can be if that ever happened.

He don't even want me around someone else that smokes for 8 wks after surgery and wouldn't have accepted me as a patient if my husband was a smoker

Oh, no! Thank you for sharing. I really appreciate it.

Same boat here. My surgeon said that with my BMI and lack of co-morbidities he isn't going to make a big fuss about me quitting, but that I should still try.

I'm planning on starting nicotine replacement a couple weeks before my surgery because it seems ridiculous to pay all this money (I'm self paying) to get healthier and keep smoking.

I kinda wish he'd said he wouldn't do it unless I quit because that would've been great motivation!

I quit smoking (and no replacements like gum or vaping) 3 months before surgery and am now just shy of 2 years as a non-smoker.

I loved smoking and really hated giving it up. But I decided that since I needed to quit for surgery anyway, to realize there was zero benefit to continuing it, and the whole point of having WLS was to improve my health and get control over my body and be healthy for the rest of my life.

I still miss it sometimes, but then I remember I really, really don't miss the constant need to go smoke, the little burn marks on clothes, the smell in my hair, in my clothes, in my car (thank dog I never smoked in my house!), the cough, the constant rounds of colds and viruses I would get (due to a lower immune system from smoking), doctor visits and increased need for inhalers whenever I did get sick, the expenses, the anxiety of running out or being someplace where I might not be able to smoke for hours, and of course the very high likelihood of developing COPD/emphysema, lung cancer...

Can't emphasize enough how smoking will slow your body's ability to heal, will cause possible complications including bad reactions to anesthesia and increase the risk of bleeding or leaks. But the long game is seeing why you're bothering to have WLS if you're not doing it to feel better, be healthy and live longer. Smoking does not make sense at all, but definitely not when you're taking great strides in trying to improve your health and future.

The advantage to quitting even right after the surgery is that you're going to be so tired anyway from the lack of real food for a few weeks, that you might just get to sleep through the detox time where you are desperately craving a smoke. Your entire routine will be upended too, so you'll be ahead of breaking all the ingrained habits of "and after I eat, I go have a smoke" or "coffee break and step out for a ciggy" type programming.

Do try. Your health is so worth it. And no better time than now if you can wrap your mind around the idea of it. (try using stop smoking apps to help with support and reading Allen Carr's book about smoking cessation too)

Kaiser makes you quit, and you will get tested for Nicotine the day of surgery if you have more than a certain amount your surgery will be canceled. Normal non smoking patients get a 2-4 month timeline while smoker get a 4-6 timeline. For them this whole process is about living a a healthier life. Also the big issue is the increase of chance for ulcers in your new pouch.

Edited by kc13

Same boat here. My surgeon said that with my BMI and lack of co-morbidities he isn't going to make a big fuss about me quitting, but that I should still try.

I'm planning on starting nicotine replacement a couple weeks before my surgery because it seems ridiculous to pay all this money (I'm self paying) to get healthier and keep smoking.

I kinda wish he'd said he wouldn't do it unless I quit because that would've been great motivation!

Thanks for sharing!! Makes me feel a bit better knowing that I'm not alone! Haha. Good luck on your surgery!

I quit smoking (and no replacements like gum or vaping) 3 months before surgery and am now just shy of 2 years as a non-smoker.

I loved smoking and really hated giving it up. But I decided that since I needed to quit for surgery anyway, to realize there was zero benefit to continuing it, and the whole point of having WLS was to improve my health and get control over my body and be healthy for the rest of my life.

I still miss it sometimes, but then I remember I really, really don't miss the constant need to go smoke, the little burn marks on clothes, the smell in my hair, in my clothes, in my car (thank dog I never smoked in my house!), the cough, the constant rounds of colds and viruses I would get (due to a lower immune system from smoking), doctor visits and increased need for inhalers whenever I did get sick, the expenses, the anxiety of running out or being someplace where I might not be able to smoke for hours, and of course the very high likelihood of developing COPD/emphysema, lung cancer...

Can't emphasize enough how smoking will slow your body's ability to heal, will cause possible complications including bad reactions to anesthesia and increase the risk of bleeding or leaks. But the long game is seeing why you're bothering to have WLS if you're not doing it to feel better, be healthy and live longer. Smoking does not make sense at all, but definitely not when you're taking great strides in trying to improve your health and future.

The advantage to quitting even right after the surgery is that you're going to be so tired anyway from the lack of real food for a few weeks, that you might just get to sleep through the detox time where you are desperately craving a smoke. Your entire routine will be upended too, so you'll be ahead of breaking all the ingrained habits of "and after I eat, I go have a smoke" or "coffee break and step out for a ciggy" type programming.

Do try. Your health is so worth it. And no better time than now if you can wrap your mind around the idea of it. (try using stop smoking apps to help with support and reading Allen Carr's book about smoking cessation too)

Thank you, very much. I will do my best.