Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Conflicting advice?

I had lap-band surgery in July and my sister is having it in October, but we are seeing different surgeons. We are amazed at how different the post-op instructions have been. I'm curious if other people have found really conflicting advice out there from doctors. Examples we have found are:

Her Doc: No milk ever. My doc: 16 oz milk a day.

Her Doc: 3 Protein Shakes a day. Need 90g of Protein each day. My doc: Avoid liquid calories, just make sure you get 50g of protein each day.

Her Doc: Clear Liquids 2 weeks before surgery, 4 weeks after surgery. My doc: liquids for two weeks after surgery, then 2 weeks mushies, then regular food.< /p>

Her Doc: Rice, Pasta are ok if you tolerate them. My doc: Rice and pasta are no-nos.

It's weird to see such variances in advice...

Welcome to Lapband!!!! Every Dr. has his/her own set of pre op diet rules, and well as post op diet rules. They also have different schedules of fills, and how to eat or not eat with a fill.

I figured, I hunted down Dr.'s I felt comfortable with for many reasons, I would just trust them and go with it. For the most part, your Dr. sounds most like mine, but I have no real no-no's in food. The only thing he is pretty stringent about that some others tolerate is soda, no carbonation mine says.....

They ALL have different EVERYTHING I think!!! And you will run into people who think only their Dr. can be right, just take it with a grain of salt (IF your Dr. allows that) and go on and do what your Dr. says!!!!

Hope both you and your sister do well!!! Are you doing ok so far?

Kat

It seems as though every doctor has their own idea of what the protocol should be. I've heard very different 'rules' on this site from various doctors.

Hope both you and your sister do well!!! Are you doing ok so far?

Kat

I'm doing great so far. My second fill is next week, but I have felt good since the surgery and I have much more energy. Thanks for asking! :-)

Like Kat said, every doctor is different. I follow what my doctor tells me, he is the one that I trust. I can pretty much eat anything, but have to watch the liquid calories.

that sounds about right ... :)

every surgeon thinks they are right... that's why we always suggest to follow your surgeon's guidelines.

you'd think that allergen would come up with a set of guidelines for everyone to follow ... **shrug**

Most surgeons have about a 1-hour class on nutrition during med school. After researching before wls I decided to consider my surgeon's guidelines but to follow the advice of people I knew who were successful losers and who had remained healthy and remained successful. I have followed their lead and it has worked well for me.

Here's my rules :)

No Pre-OP diet

Two weeks liquids

Two weeks mushies

No sodas

Avoid liquid calories

40% of calories from Protein

Fairly vague - and lots of wiggle room :hungry:

1. I had to do 5 weeks liquid Optifast Preop.

2. Absolutely noooo food in the stomach during surgery. He has been know to see evidence of people eating their "Last Supper" and sewn them back up without doing the procedure!

3. Three weeks liquids only post-op

4. Two weeks mushy foods gradually introducing solids by the 6th week post-op.

5. No liquid calories

6. No carbonated beverages

7. No caffinated beverages

I'm sure there is more, but this is all that's coming to me now. He's good though. I trust him and know what his track record looks like. So far, 4 days post of and I'm progressing nicely.:clap2:

I think one of the issues here that's more important than the actual rules is understanding WHY they are there.

1. Carbonation--Inamed says that carbonation increases risk of pouch dilation if you drink carbonated beverages.

2. Protein- The ammount of Protein varies per person, its not a set limit by a doctor. Different people have different needs, different body types have different needs. These are just guidelines to make sure you get some of the recommended ammounts at least. Around 0.8g of Protein per Kg

3. liquid calories- Not everybody who gets the lap band has a nutrition course or understands how liquid calories are a killer (figuratively) for the lap band. Its just simply because you don't get the restriction and since there is no malabsorption (à-la-RNY) liquid calories are simply something that impede your progress. It's not that you should NEVER have them, it's just to be aware that they are just calories that don't fill you up and usually don't serve nutritional benefits.

4. Some of the advice i dont get...the milk? i dont know why you couldnt handle milk. The bread or Pasta, i would think again this is more along the lines of a nutritional recommendation, but i'm not a doctor...so i won't stick my neck out. To me (my doctors advice) it makes sense that if you can handle starchy foods whats the problem. But...i dont know about that one.

5. Pre-op diets...Now these are different everywhere, no use trying to compare. But the reason why is to shrink the liver for the operation. Different places use different methods to acheive the same result. Some don't even have them ( i think its a good idea to have one ).

6. POST-op diets...Again, very varied. But the main idea is to let the band heal, and form a cavity. the reason this is essential is it needs a place to sit. If you start eating too early, the band wont create a nice spot for itself. Thats why sometimes people who slip go on a liquid diet and the band goes back into place by itself (the cavity formed by the band is nicely shaped and the band is able to slide back in).

So thats that, i'm no health professional but im pretty sure what i said makes sense. If someone can correct me on something please do.

I think one of the issues here that's more important than the actual rules is understanding WHY they are there.

6. POST-op diets...Again, very varied. But the main idea is to let the band heal, and form a cavity. the reason this is essential is it needs a place to sit. If you start eating too early, the band wont create a nice spot for itself. Thats why sometimes people who slip go on a liquid diet and the band goes back into place by itself (the cavity formed by the band is nicely shaped and the band is able to slide back in).

Thanks Robgoblin87, I didn't know that about the slips. That's some pretty useful information. And your'e right, these rules are in place to get us through this process with the fewest complitcations as possible. Because each patience's results reflect directly on our Dr.s as well as our health.

Thanks again, :clap2:

Kim

I had lap-band surgery in July and my sister is having it in October, but we are seeing different surgeons. We are amazed at how different the post-op instructions have been. I'm curious if other people have found really conflicting advice out there from doctors. Examples we have found are:

Her Doc: No milk ever. My doc: 16 oz milk a day.

Her Doc: 3 Protein shakes a day. Need 90g of Protein each day. My doc: Avoid liquid calories, just make sure you get 50g of protein each day.

Her Doc: Clear liquids 2 weeks before surgery, 4 weeks after surgery. My doc: Liquids for two weeks after surgery, then 2 weeks mushies, then regular food.

Her Doc: Rice, Pasta are ok if you tolerate them. My doc: Rice and Pasta are no-nos.

It's weird to see such variances in advice...

People have different OPINIONS.....

And DOCTORS are PEOPLE.

Your doc sounds much more like the "norm". I was on clear liquids for 2 days, mushi liquids up to the first week and soft foods (which included cottage cheese and fish) after that up to the 30 days. To expect someone to be on full liquids for 30 days just sounds like too much. I also drink milk (skim). If I couldn't have milk I would be a very sad person. On almost any list rice, Pasta and bread are to be viewed with grave suspicion. However, that being said, I have actually HAD some rice (only a little) and eaten two pieces of sourdough bread once (it actually caused no problem....I think that says I am due for a fill). I'd also be really leary of anyone who said it was okay to drink most of your calories. That's what they stress most of all....steer clear of liquid calories because THAT is what defeats the band. The three Protein Shakes a day sounds like something you would do during the liquid stage only. You can actually get Protein fairly easily without having to resort to that when you are on solids. And protein shakes are probably going to run about 200 calories apiece. If you have three of them a day everyday, it doesn't leave much wiggle room for calories of REAL food. I find I cannot go over 1000 calories a day and continue to lose.

I find I cannot go over 1000 calories a day and continue to lose.

and i am pretty much the exact opposite. if i go below 1000-1100 cals a day, i stop losing. i have to consistently hit about 1200 cals average, but i usually really stagger mine.

one day i will have 1600, next 1000, then 1200, then 1100, then 1500, etc... keep the body guessing so it doesnt get too comfortable ... :rolleyes: