Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

@@madisunshine1 It is recommended to avoid caffeine "FOREVER" (that's a hell of a long time) on my plan. Their reasons are relative to caffeine interfering with the absorption of Calcium and some other vitamins/minerals. Although they clearly said - it's up to us - we're adults and can make our own decisions. This is all from my Nutritionist though - which they can be a lot more rigid (sticks up their asses). ;-) I will be double checking with my surgeon to see what he has to say about it.

I did not feel I could go without forever. I was told no caffeine for first two months. I'm a teacher and when the early mornings started back, so did the caffeine lol

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am on day 1 of preop diet. Surgery in one week. Im really struggling with the no coffee restriction. One cup in the morning can't hurt. Can it?

I was told if I can get my 64 oz in with no problem then I can have coffee but can't count towards the 64. Unfortunately it just does not taste the same to me anymore :(

I am on day 1 of preop diet. Surgery in one week. Im really struggling with the no coffee restriction. One cup in the morning can't hurt. Can it?

The biggest issue with this will be going thru caffeine withdrawal post-op when you are already dealing with enough. I'd rather go thru withdrawal now.

Caffeine is a diuretic. We are already having trouble drinking Water when we are at early stages so do you really want to drink something that is going to make you urinate most of the already limited amount of liquids you get in?? Your body needs that. So drinking coffee increases your chances of getting dehydrated. Once you can drink normally, you should not have a problem with a cup or two of coffee in a day.

Coffee is also acidic and induces symptoms of gerd. You don't want any of that stuff in your stomach while it has just been stapled back together. Give it time to heal.

Edited by Lema

I did not feel I could go without forever. I was told no caffeine for first two months. I'm a teacher and when the early mornings started back, so did the caffeine lol

I'm a professor, and though our hours aren't nearly as early as yours likely are, they're early enough to mandate caffeine, haha.

My dietician recommended Decaf at first, and then gingerly testing out the real deal. That's exactly what I did. A bariatric surgeon named Dr. Matthew Wiener who has several worthwhile videos on YouTube stated that it's really up to the individual tolerance level of the patient. Some people experience problems, and therefore should avoid coffee. Others actually derive benefit from it. I had surgery in mid-August of last year, and by the time the quarter began the third week of September was almost up to my routine coffee consumption (enormous mug with higher Protein milk in the morning, and an afternoon iced latte).

I introduced coffee somewhere around the 8 week point with the permission from my surgeon.

Drinking a cup right this moment, in fact.

It's how I start almost every day and have some in the afternoon as well.

coffee is not really a diuretic if you drink it regularly as your kidneys adjust to it. In fact I find it more of a laxative so I have one every morning to help get things going! I was allowed it from the start post op but I actually went off it for the first 4 months. I'm back on 1-2 cups a day now - like anything it should be taken in moderation.

Sent from my SM-G935F using the BariatricPal App

Edited by madadams

Caffeine is a diuretic. We are already having trouble drinking Water when we are at early stages so do you really want to drink something that is going to make you urinate most of the already limited amount of liquids you get in?? Your body needs that. So drinking coffee increases your chances of getting dehydrated. Once you can drink normally, you should not have a problem with a cup or two of coffee in a day.

Coffee is also acidic and induces symptoms of gerd. You don't want any of that stuff in your stomach while it has just been stapled back together. Give it time to heal.

I'm currently getting in 60+ grams of Protein a day and probably 80-100 ounces of liquids. It's actually shocking to myself how well I've been getting on fluids and tolerating any foods I've tried. I'm sure that'll change at some point. Mama to a two year old wild child, full time student, full time intern, and working part time. So my days are about 5am-11 pm and then maybe I get to go to bed. Coffee is a necessity I'm grateful my surgeon is allowing it soon!

When were you all approved for coffee? What are the big no no's as to why caffeine is a no go for a bit? They offered black coffee in the hospital. Hmm?! But I'm almost one month and I can haveeeee.

6 weeks I can't wait I have 3 more weeks to go I drink occasional decaff tea