Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone,

I have to say that today was a huge set back for me, I had my fourth weight management appointment and was told I gained 3 pounds. It is hard not to feel like a failure, I just feel as though I will never be able to change unhealthy habits. Anyone out there that has experienced this or is going through this? Any advice or tips? Does this affect insurance approval?

We can gain or lose three lbs. in a day. Mornings you weigh less. If you are stressing over this the stalls after surgery might devastate you. It is a tiny setback, eat according to plan and walk in the park when you stressed! Weighing every day is hard on people too. Best of luck!!!

@@Gaby86 I lost 2 lbs at my first weigh in, gained 2 in the second, lost 1.5 in the third, lost 1 more in the 4th and got approval. Don't stress it. My nutritionist kept saying, "we want to see that you are making healthy choices and working towards weight loss." That being said, I was told that if I net gained (ending up heavier than I started), I would be denied.

I worked so freaking hard to lose that 3.5 pounds. I biked, worked out, barely ate, drank massive amounts of Water, did I mention barely ate? Now I'm working hard to not put it back on before my surgery (sept 14th).

It's hard for me to give advice on losing weight because I've obviously never been successful at it. The only thing I can think of is to follow your plan and don't let yourself get close to your triggers.

For example, if I go too long without food and get hungry, my blood sugar drops and I get insanely ravenous. I will reach for chips, fries, a pizza... anything to satisfy that crazy craving. Right now I don't let myself get too hungry. I drink half a Protein drink in between meals or snack on veggies. I hate it. I really do. But I do it anyways.

Hi everyone,

I have to say that today was a huge set back for me, I had my fourth weight management appointment and was told I gained 3 pounds. It is hard not to feel like a failure, I just feel as though I will never be able to change unhealthy habits. Anyone out there that has experienced this or is going through this? Any advice or tips? Does this affect insurance approval?

@@Gaby86 Based on your comment - I'm assuming you're having difficulty eating healthy during this pre-op phase (and this wasn't just Water retention). It's very difficult and a huge change for us. I found therapy with the psychologist in my bariatric program very helpful in dealing with cravings and emotional/mindless eating. I would encourage anyone to get therapy pre-op and post-op - as this is more mental than physical. Plan out your meals - make sure you have healthy alternatives available at all times. Bring food to work so you don't get tempted to eat unhealthy (or end up grabbing fast food). Eat from small plates - using small utensils. Eat slowly (put utensil down between bites), don't eat in front of the TV. Try having 5-6 small meals every 3 hours (while awake) - concentrating on Protein and produce. No Pasta, bread, pizza, rice, candy, Cookies, etc. Once you eat them - you'll crave more and sabotage yourself. Cut out soda or sweetened drinks, fruit juice, etc. Drink Water or non-caloric drinks. You can do this - and you'll be in a much better position to be successful post-op!

A weight gain during this time can effect insurance approval. Hopefully that's not the case with you.

Stay strong!!!

@@Gaby86 @@katieroybal One thing my therapist had me to (which helped) was write a list of all of the things I want to do after weight loss - and keep it where I can review if I ever need any motivation to stick with the diet. I had a difficult time losing weight during this time too - and I kept saying "why bother...I'm never going to lose weight". She had me write a list of all the answers to "why bother"...

Best of luck to you both!!! I'm still waiting for my surgery date and was done with my therapy and nutrition appointments and received insurance approval at the end of June. :o :blush: :wacko: