Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Were you intubated during surgery

Just got another email from Dr.A . He did say about 2% get the tube and the other 98 get Laryngeal Mask Airway.

I guess he got your email and clarified it for me in another email.

Thanks Jennifer

Just got another email from Dr.A . He did say about 2% get the tube and the other 98 get Laryngeal Mask Airway.

I guess he got your email and clarified it for me in another email.

Thanks Jennifer

Lots of people ask if they will be put to sleep during surgery (yeah, I know... weird) and I wonder if they thought that is what you were talking about.

Your questions are good, most people don't ask about those kinds of details and they should!

Can I ask who you heard from? Nina? Monica? They are both sweethearts! I've met Nina but I've never met Monica in real time however, I am going to meet her soon. When I have a PS consult I'll be near where she is and she's taking me out. I'm 45, she's in her early 20s.. I'm scared. :rolleyes::P:)

Ive actually been talking(via email) to Ruben.I emailed Nina but she never emailed me back.

I keep trying to think of everything I can to ask. The easiest part was actually deciding to have the lap band procedure!!!

Ive got three Dr.'s that Im trying to decide to choose from.Two in Tj and then Dr.A(your favorite):rolleyes:

Ive actually been talking(via email) to Ruben.I emailed Nina but she never emailed me back.

I keep trying to think of everything I can to ask. The easiest part was actually deciding to have the lap band procedure!!!

Ive got three Dr.'s that Im trying to decide to choose from.Two in Tj and then Dr.A(your favorite):P

Ruban was my patient coordinator, he's a nice guy. He's really into music, not sure if he has his own group or not.

Gaby is another person that works for Dr. Aceves, she handles after care stuff. Dr. A requires that you contact them every 10 days after surgery and then some such schedule. When I didn't it was Gaby that emailed me asking why I wasn't following the rules. :rolleyes:

Her son is a famous rock star in Mexico. I mean *really* famous. His target audience from what I understand are the younger girls. Here is their website:

Reik Pagina Oficial Fotos Biografia Agenda

I think that's the webite.

HA! I was looking for the website and found they are even listed in Wiki, her son is Julio:

Reik - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They are doing a US tour. I didn't realize it until it was too late so I didn't go to the place they were at in Scottsdale, AZ. It would have been fun to see them.

I was just looking at that picture of the mask.Thats right weird looking.

I aint gonna say what it looks like!!

HA! You aren't the first to say the same thing. Most don't have the tact to refrain from saying what it DOES look like. :rolleyes:

It's a lot easier when they use the LMA. Your throat doesn't hurt, there isn't the chance for broken teeth (although that is rare), there isn't the same risk for damage within the throat, etc.

I've had it done both ways and I prefer the mask.

Whatever you do just consider one thing in picking a doc. Choose one that works out of a hospital and not a clinic. While the risk is very low there is always a risk of a complication. If you have surgery in a clinic and have a complication, you'll have to travel to an actual hospital. Life is Mexico is not the same as it is here. Here, we dial 911 and we're at a hospital in minutes. In Mexico you call for emergency services and they'll get there as soon as they can. If you have a complication you'll want to be in a hospital.

If you are looking at TJ and Mexicali that would be my preference too because it's near the border. Some people make a vacation out of going to Mexico for surgery. They like Monterrey and while the docs in Monterrey are great, it's too far from the border for my taste. I want to be able to go home quickly, I'm just not a brave soul in that way. When I'm having surgery I want to be able to go home quickly.

You'll also want to see if the doc opens you, places the band, and closes you. Many docs have their asst. surgeon do most of the procedure. The asst. opens you, fixes a hernia (if there is one), and prepares you for the band, the surgeon comes in, places the band (10 minutes) and leaves the asst. to close you. It's an assembly line process. You'll want YOUR surgeon to open you, place the band, fix the hernia, and close you.

Thats what I like about Dr.A.Hes at a hospital and Im kinda fond of staying at the hospital for another night.

For me to go to Monterrey it would cost me more to travel there

then San Diego.I would be able to get to SD quicker than I could to Mont if something was to happen.And like if I wanted to go back there for fills.

Most Mexican docs will see the patients of other docs for fills. It costs more, but at least it's under fluoro, transportation is covered from the SD airport, etc.

If I happened to be in TJ and had some sort of problem or needed a fill, even though Ortiz didn't do my surgery he would still see me. My doc explained that it is a professional courtesy of sorts between Mexican docs. They will take care of other doc's patients.

I know a person that was banded in Jordan (her uncle was the anesthesiologist so she wanted to travel there) and my doc is going to do her follow up care/fills. Matter of fact we are going there this Saturday. It's just something most Mexican docs do unlike American docs.

Another thing you can do if you are anywhere near the SD airport. Go check out the various clinics/hospitals. I can't imagine why a doc wouldn't let you go on the van with them since they go to the airport daily. Just catch a ride with them, check out the facilities, meet the doc, the staff, see everything and ask all your questions. It shouldn't cost anything, they are going to the airport daily anyway.

I was always intubated during all 6 of my past surgeries but I was kncked out like a light and did not even think about it but that cath tubing I hate that thing and yes I will have that one too (probably) I don't like being knocked out I was told I will get a tequlia sunrise right bet it is not what I was used to drinking though LOL for sure. I hate the feeling, for me it sounded like you were going real fast and then boom your waking up in recovery. I am a bit of a chicken so I will see if someone will hold my had as I am going under.

I was always intubated during all 6 of my past surgeries but I was kncked out like a light and did not even think about it but that cath tubing I hate that thing and yes I will have that one too (probably) I don't like being knocked out I was told I will get a tequlia sunrise right bet it is not what I was used to drinking though LOL for sure. I hate the feeling, for me it sounded like you were going real fast and then boom your waking up in recovery. I am a bit of a chicken so I will see if someone will hold my had as I am going under.

More than likely, they will give you Versed and you won't even remember going to sleep. I don't even remember being in the OR room at all. When I woke up in recovery the tube was out and I was breathing on my own.

To the previous poster about awake intubations: I saw that on Big Medicine too. I've also seen 1 or 2 in my hospital career. They look really awful, but the patient won't remember it when they wake up, even though they're awake at the time. Versed is a WONDERFUL drug!