Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm just beginning my journey and have done some research, I have well over 150+ lbs to loose and just wanted to see if anyone has done that successfully with the sleeve, or would bypass be the better option?

I'm definitely no expert and you didn't say your height or starting weight but from what I've read they recommend bypass if your BMI is over 45.

Best bet is probably to talk to your dr!

I have to lose about the same (essentially half my body weight) and I decided to go with the bypass. It was an extremely hard decision, though, I nearly drove myself crazy with the what ifs.

In the end, I decided to trust my doctor's guidance, and I also had to admit that I -- personally -- needed absolutely all the help I could get with this effort. And I didn't want to wind up with a revision surgery BC my GERD got worse, not better.

But that's just me.

I have my surgery on Thursday, 4 days away.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by gina171

I'm definitely no expert and you didn't say your height or starting weight but from what I've read they recommend bypass if your BMI is over 45.

Best bet is probably to talk to your dr!

Okay great thanks! Yeah I think I'd be better off doing bypass. I'm currently at a 60 bmi hw 374 Cw 362

I haven't had a chance to meet my surgery due to some set backs with insurance, but I have a phone meeting with a nurse tomorrow then hopefully I can press forward!

I have to lose about the same (essentially half my body weight) and I decided to go with the bypass. It was an extremely hard decision, though, I nearly drove myself crazy with the what ifs.

In the end, I decided to trust my doctor's guidance, and I also had to admit that I -- personally -- needed absolutely all the help I could get with this effort. And I didn't want to wind up with a revision surgery BC my GERD got worse, not better.

But that's just me.

I have my surgery on Thursday, 4 days away.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I agree! I think it's just the what ifs that are getting to me other than that I'm all for bypass

Okay great thanks! Yeah I think I'd be better off doing bypass. I'm currently at a 60 bmi hw 374 Cw 362

I haven't had a chance to meet my surgery due to some set backs with insurance, but I have a phone meeting with a nurse tomorrow then hopefully I can press forward!

Let us know what they say!!

Let us know what they say!!

Okay I definitely will!:)

I was also thinking about getting a bypass because it's more effective than sleeve but decided against (my VSG is on August 17th). Bypass is recommended for patients who have higher BMI and/or high blood pressure/diabetes/sleep apnea/etc

(I'm BMI 40 and no other conditions). You have to do your research about this procedure, it will drastically change your life (I'm not saying VSG doesn't ;)). There will be "dumping syndrome" and you will need to take supplements for the rest of your life but you can loose more weight. You will also need regular blood tests so choose your hospital carefully. However in your place I would definitely get a bypass. :)

Good luck with your journey I'm sure you will make the right choice. :)

Thanks! @@Alexandra85 I have no comorbidities just a really high bmi, but I also want to loose as much weight as possible, and from what i have seen from researching it seems like not as much weight can be lost with the sleeve which is fine if I didn't have so much to loose:/ I guess there's a lot more to think about.

Thanks! @@Alexandra85 I have no comorbidities just a really high bmi, but I also want to loose as much weight as possible, and from what i have seen from researching it seems like not as much weight can be lost with the sleeve which is fine if I didn't have so much to loose:/ I guess there's a lot more to think about.

It all depends on you. The procedure is just a tool to help you loose weight. If you are willing to change your lifestyle, eating habits and the way you think about food you will succeed, no matter what you choose. :) Sounds silly but before I started I had a lot of misconceptions about portion sizes and "healthy" food. After meeting my surgeon I started doing small changes to see if I can survive post-op diet. Gradually I quit sugar, coffeine, started eating more lean Protein and veggies and it seems to be working just fine.

It's also important to have support. Your family and friends can really help with keeping you on track. :)

You are doing a positive change to improve and prolong your life, don't let anyone tell you it's a bad idea and you are lazy/selfish/look just fine/whatever. It's your decision and your life. Stay strong (and fierce :))!

It is your decision as you know what is best for you. I knew someone who weighed over 500 pounds and he had the VSG operations and lost over 250 pounds. So it is possible for large amounts of weight to be lost. It really depends on how well you follow the food program and work the tool. When I last saw him and saw how much weight he had lost I also started researching. I read some books and got on this web site and read both the bypass and the sleeve and the complication forums.

FOR ME - I decided to go with the VSG. At the time of my first consultation with the surgeon in June 2015 I weighed 352 pounds. He put me on a 6 month supervised high Protein low carb diet and gave me the blue book (his program manual) which explained the VSG procedure, pre and post diet and the Vitamins I would have to take. I also had to go through a lot of testing to make sure the VSG would be the right surgery for me. Since June of last year I have lost 110 pounds. I still have 80 pounds to go.

I went with the VSG because of several reasons:

1. my age, (60)

2. the fact that the WLS plus the gallbladder removal, and hernia repair would be my first surgery and I didn't want to be on oxygen and in the operating room any longer than I needed to be. The Bypass with the other surgeries would have taken a much longer time.

3. there was no rerouting of my organs.

4. I had a neighbor who had the bypass and she was always sick after she ate. I have enough back pain and didn't want additional pains.

5. The surgeon agreed with my decision that at my age and my physical condition that the VSG was the correct procedure to do.

Please research and research some more before you make the decision. The procedure is one you will have to live with for the rest of your life. Good luck in whatever you and your surgeon decide. It will be so much better for you in the long run to get it done now. I wish the surgery was available to me 20 or 30 years ago as my life would have been such much different.

@@janedoe92 Your surgeon will advise you as to what they recommend. I have a high BMI and my surgeon suggested Sleeve. I didn't want Bypass because of the malabsorption issues and higher chance of dumping (I also don't need that extra deterrent from eating sweets that others need). Good luck on your journey!

Finally got in for my consultation app September 7th! Already have my 6 months just need a psych eval, so excited/nervous????

@janedoe92 I also spent a lot of time trying to figure out the best option for me. A few years ago, I started looking into WLS and the program I was in recommended the bypass for me. I was told that they didn't have enough data on the sleeve and couldn't promise as much success. I ended up chickening out at that point, and decided to think more about it and see a different surgeon.

I went to a different, very reputable hospital and I have had a great experience. My surgeon and I discussed the differences at length. My BMI is right about 45/46, and my surgeon said that I would be a great candidate for the sleeve. He did say, that if my BMI was over 50 he would have recommended bypass to ensure that I got the results I wanted. He did tell me, that Bypass patients tend to lose 5-10% more of their excess body weight than sleeve patients, but at the end of the day YOU and your choices are what determines your success.

Ultimately, I think that it's a really personal decision. I chose the sleeve because it had less risks for malabsorption, is less surgery, and all around felt safer for me.

Best of luck with your decision, I know it's not an easy one!