Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Our dietitians are VERY strict on the 30/30/30 thing. My surgeon, otoh, just said 'don't be an idiot...you've got a tiny stomach, don't fill it with Water before or during a meal, and wait a bit after before you go back to full-on drinking'. As long as I'm getting my Protein and eating enough calories, I can manage without setting timers and so forth. I find it nearly impossible to eat without Water, so I take a few sips while eating my pre-measured portion.

@@higher "So that's 5 meals, each bookended with a 2 hour window - 10 hours a day of not drinking Water."

Actually, it's longer when you figure in the time while you're physically eating, which is about 30 mins/meal or more. That adds at least 2.5 hours to the 'no drinking' window. So, let's see...I sleep 8-9 hours per day, then add at least 12 hours to that...that leaves me 4 hours to drink 64 oz of Water. I could do that back in the good old days when I could chug an 8 oz glass of water, but not anymore! And just between us, I think my dietitian is not the brightest, either. There is NO VARIATION, no discussion, no anything but the handout she gives you and that's that. I don't do well with that approach :)

@@ShelterDog64 it also assumes they know or have control over when they are going to eat. on some of my work days I do not know when I will have break for a snack or when I have lunch - and on days like today (still at work) when I will eat dinner. so, I drink up to when I am warming up my meal, and then not for half an hour after I eat.

My surgeon seems to be in minority. His advice is "if you're able to drink with meals, go for it".

That being said, at 4.5 months out, I don't. It's uncomfortable. I will drink right up until a meal, no problem. However, having had RNY and having no pyloric valve, I feel like the fluids pretty much run right through my empty stomach.

I usually wait about 30 min after a meal to avoid inflicting pain on myself.

Two years out here. For about a year, I waited 15 minutes before and a half hour after. Now I drink right up until, still never during and still wait 20-30 minutes after. Pretty much habit now. You get used to it.

My plan says I can drink right up until the time I take my first bite of food......once I start eating, no drinking until 30 minutes after I've finished eating.

I really have no problem doing that. I just don't put a drink on the table for me......it it's there I'll drink without even thinking about it...so I just make sure I don't have a drink within reach and all is good.

As you move on you can drink more quickly so it gets easier. I can drink half a litre of fluids in around half an hour now so I can get around 2.5 litres in most days easily.

Sent from my SM-G935F using the BariatricPal App

It does?! I had surgery on August 15 yesterday and i only had one liter from yesterday afternoon until now it's only 431am though

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

The NUTs had a 15/30 minute rule, but I asked the surgeon and she said it didn't matter. That said, I seldom drink in the 30/30 mealtime window unless I'm drinking wine or another alcoholic beverage.

Then I sip up until eating and usually leave the glass half full after dinner (cuz I'm all full).

I would say that if I do continue drinking later, it's probably naturally 30 minutes plus, but that's all the sleeve restriction allows.

That said, I'd love to see the "evidence" you were shown!

@@higher "So that's 5 meals, each bookended with a 2 hour window - 10 hours a day of not drinking Water."

Actually, it's longer when you figure in the time while you're physically eating, which is about 30 mins/meal or more. That adds at least 2.5 hours to the 'no drinking' window. So, let's see...I sleep 8-9 hours per day, then add at least 12 hours to that...that leaves me 4 hours to drink 64 oz of Water. I could do that back in the good old days when I could chug an 8 oz glass of water, but not anymore! And just between us, I think my dietitian is not the brightest, either. There is NO VARIATION, no discussion, no anything but the handout she gives you and that's that. I don't do well with that approach :)

#dumbdietitianclub for sure.

Mine is no drinking while eating and no drinking for thirty minutes after eating. You get used to it. If it in any way helps with my weight loss success and maintenance, it's a very, very small price to pay. It's a pretty insignificant thing to adjust to in the grander WLS picture.

Edited by sprocket

I don't follow this rule so tightly. I will say that I used to drink a good sized glass of Water or iced tea with dinner, and now I either have no liquid or just a few sips. Otherwise it reduces what I can eat too much. So I have adjusted what I do, but what I am doing isn't too difficult or rigid - just reduce the liquids taken with the meal and all the time listen to the body and specifically the tummy...

Being much further post WLS than you, I was told not to drink 15mins before/nothing during*/30mins after.

*The exception being a small sip of Water during a meal is ok if the food is a little dry.

There's a guy that did a You Tube video that to me gives a pretty clear picture of why not to drink and eat at the same time......My disclaimer is I haven't actually "listened" to what he said as I watched it with no sound turned on......I just like the demo he does at about 2 minutes into the video.

As you move on you can drink more quickly so it gets easier. I can drink half a litre of fluids in around half an hour now so I can get around 2.5 litres in most days easily.

It does?! I had surgery on August 15 yesterday and i only had one liter from yesterday afternoon until now it's only 431am though

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I promise it does. I could only sip very slowly for the first few months. I still dont/ can't gulp but I can tolerate drinking faster. It will come in time.