Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering Lap Banding... Very seriously.

I am considering having surgery in October. I am quite serious since I have been overweight all my life -- more up than down. It would take a year to get to a weight through a diet plan or other just to gain it back in a shorter period of time with more to boot!

I am rather disgusted with myself. My sister, who is overweight also and has watched me for a very long time do the yo-yo thing, asked why I have never considered lap banding. Well, just always thought I could do it myself. But there is much more to my weight than my will power. I have shown a great deal of will power and to no avail.

Is there something I am missing, I wonder? Don't know, but I truly believe that the band will simply give me a tool to have the fullness I need to keep the weight off.

Any good words for me? I would like some support here as I am sure there are others like me out there.

I considered lap band for about 7 to 8 months before I made the decision to have the surgery. Once I made the committement and had the first consult I went through a major depression. I felt like I was a failure because nothing else worked and now I needed to alter my body to achieve good health. I had surgery in late June and have had 2 fills. I still get down a bit here and there because the weight loss is going slow for me, but I do not regret the decision to have surgery. Be patient and you will loose weight, but you have to be committed to making major lifestyle changes. That depressed me to.

I'm in the same boat as you. I've fought with my weight for a long time. I'm not a junk food junkie, don't really drink pop, and overall, I think I eat very healthy meals. I just eat a lot. I feel that I really need something to help me control my portion sizes and help me to fill up faster. That's why I am choosing to do this. Good luck on making you decision and do LOTS of research to make sure that this is the right thing for you. Good luck

PCGirl...first of all, Welcome!

You sound exactly like me when I went to my doctor for the first consultation. I told him I could just see the future right now...me, weighing 275 with diabetes and high lipids and blood pressure and not being able to successfully lose one single pound. All I needed now to head off this monster was a tool to help me control hunger. He agreed saying I sounded like a very good candidate and should have great success! I am happy to report that I have lost weight, feel great and my hunger is under control.

It's kinda scary sitting where you are, I know. Just stick around LBT for awhile. It's a wonderful place and we will calm your nerves. This is a big decision and you need real information. This is the place to get it.

Good luck to you!

I debated with myself for over two years......... continually beating myself up as a failure for even thinking it... but you know what. You are right being over weight is much more than the weight itself its all the crap that goes with it.

Banding is best suited for volume eaters, and those of us that have been sucessful with diets but shitty at maint........... I would guess you are and EXPERT dieter... (I am) Maintaining the loss is my problem.

Go to a seminar... heck pick several surgeons and attend their seminars listen to the questions asked and the answers given. Like Terry suggested .. stick around here and READ..... make your decision...

and most of all know that YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE! You are actually being proactive in your Quest for knowledge

GOOD LUCK!

I've fought obesity my whole life, this a very do able tool. I didn't think so in the begining. If I were you I would read everything you can on the subject, Many times people go into this not knowing what is going to be their part in this journey. My mothers friend has the lap-band also but when my mother asked her how many fills she had ( she hadn't had any ) She didn't even realize you have to have fills ( to get proper restriction ) She's had the band for 4 years. That's why arming yourself with as much information as possible is key. As someone said go to a seminar ( they usually have a dr on hand to answer many of you questions ) See if your hospital or another one has a support group ( they also can be very informative and helpfull ) I go to group meetings once a month. It helps me stay accountable.

Good luck!!!!! I'm new to this board and everyone here seems friendly and informed.:)

<p>I too empathize with you...I have been over weight my whole life. I have tried so many diets over the years only to take it off and put more back on. This last time, I swore I would never gain it back! Guess what...I did and gained even more again! I too feel like a failure some times. I feel defeated by this monster. But you know what? Alcoholics and drug addicts don't get better by themselves. People who are sick with other things take medication or have surgeries all the time to get well. What make this any different? I am tired! I'm just 32 but I have wasted it being fat and miserable. I always say if I'm not on a diet then I'm gaining. I can't stay on a diet the rest of my life relying on my own will all the time. I get tired! Why not get some help. </p> <p> </p> <p>I have made my decision...I am saving my $$$ and I should have enough by March. I will not have anouther fat summer for real this time!!!!</p> <p>I want to be free! We are not failures! We just need some help along the way. </p> <p> </p> <p>Keep us posted on your decision and progress...</p> <p> </p> <p>Kat</p>

I debated with myself for over two years......... continually beating myself up as a failure for even thinking it... but you know what. You are right being over weight is much more than the weight itself its all the crap that goes with it.

Banding is best suited for volume eaters, and those of us that have been sucessful with diets but shitty at maint........... I would guess you are and EXPERT dieter... (I am) Maintaining the loss is my problem.

Go to a seminar... heck pick several surgeons and attend their seminars listen to the questions asked and the answers given. Like Terry suggested .. stick around here and READ..... make your decision...

and most of all know that YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE! You are actually being proactive in your Quest for knowledge

GOOD LUCK!

Tracey,

I am considering the lap band.. I have been overweight my whole life.. my first diet I remember was in the 4th grade... I am always dieting.. but have never gotten it all off... I might get 10 - 20 - maybe even 30... the most ever was 50 but I have 165 lbs to lose to get to where the charts say I should be... I tell you all this to ask your opinion on if the lap band is for me since you said this was for those who are great at dieting and just not at maintance.... I have been reading a lot of you post over the past weekend and your journey is very encouraging to me. I saw you on the Dr. Malley site as well, he is who I would probably go with if I choose to do this. OK.. I am rambling now but I am really intereted in your thoughts... thanks. Tree

Thanks for the support. It's nice to know there is success out there -- and help with that appetite!

As I read through the replies I see myself so clearly. I've been overweight my whole life too. I have tried so many different diets and all were very successful at taking the weight off...not keeping it off. I am definitely a foodaholic. I use food to help relieve stress. I use food to help make me feel better when I'm depressed, etc. Everything I've read on here is so encouraging and informative.

Good luck PCGirl!

As I read through the replies I see myself so clearly. I've been overweight my whole life too. I have tried so many different diets and all were very successful at taking the weight off...not keeping it off. I am definitely a foodaholic. I use food to help relieve stress. I use food to help make me feel better when I'm depressed, etc. Everything I've read on here is so encouraging and informative.

Good luck PCGirl!

Isn't that the truth, Allie?? That's why i always tell newbies to stick around here and read all they can. It's like no matter what your issue is with food, the band can help. Well, maybe not THAT clear-cut...but it is a tremendous tool that just about everyone can benefit from.

PCgirl...I would not change my decision for all the money in the world. Having only lost 48 pounds, I feel like I have already claimed my old self back. I feel like a new woman...I know I have so much more to lose, but that's ok because I have my band to help me along the way. So, if I get to a place where I turn to food for relief of whatever, hey, I can't gorge myself anymore and that means the weight won't come back like it did before. Don't get me wrong, you still have to make good food choices, but if you are a volume eater like me, then the band is your answer. Good luck on your decision!