Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello! Wanted to receive some shared experiences from menstruating women. Have your cycles changed at all since surgery?

I'm one month out & Mother Nature is on her 2nd day (or 3rd day) and the 1st day it was a bit of spotting here & there with some slight cramping (I've never had menstrual cramps the entire 18 years I've been menstruating) I'm not sure if that counts or was a warning that it was coming. Yesterday & today it's still very very light did anyone else experience this? I have an iud so my cycles are usually heavy so I'm a bit surprised & confused as to what's going on. Yes, I understand that my body just experienced a dramatic change but wanted to see if anyone else experienced this as well

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I have an IUD (Copper). I had normal cycles, and I have had my IUD so long that my periods are light again after initially being heavy. I have always had regular periods my entire life, no lady issues, no PCOS anything like that.

At first I still has normal periods, then once I dropped a lot of weight (over 100 pounds at about 9 months) I started having periods every 2 weeks almost. It seems to finally being almost normalizing, but my body is still trying to adjust to the weight I am at now.

My periods are light so it doesn't bother me that they are every 2 weeks, except for the weight gain or stall that comes with them. It makes it hard to see progress on the scale, even though I can see and feel the inch loss.

I have an IUD (Copper). I had normal cycles, and I have had my IUD so long that my periods are light again after initially being heavy. I have always had regular periods my entire life, no lady issues, no PCOS anything like that.

At first I still has normal periods, then once I dropped a lot of weight (over 100 pounds at about 9 months) I started having periods every 2 weeks almost. It seems to finally being almost normalizing, but my body is still trying to adjust to the weight I am at now.

My periods are light so it doesn't bother me that they are every 2 weeks, except for the weight gain or stall that comes with them. It makes it hard to see progress on the scale, even though I can see and feel the inch loss.

Thanks for sharing. I have the copper as well. I've had it for a little over 3yrs. Initially the cycles were very long (10 days)and extremely heavy. However a few months ago it shortens to 7 days. Prior to having it implanted, my cycle averaged 5 days.

Now w/ the surgery I guess all I can do is wait it out & see. I got on the scale today & have been carrying the same weight for 2 weeks but maybe this week I'm holding on to extra pounds due to my cycle. I surely hope so.

Lol, I thought this thread was going to be about bikes - and as I'm keen to get myself one when I've dropped a bit of weight I was hoping to find some good recommendations here haha!

If it helps my menstrual cycle has been all over the place since my op, but it was sort of like that beforehand anyway so not much help. Sorry :P

Jo x

Hi there. Starting from puberty I always had very regular 28 day cycles. But in the last 2-3 years as I steadily gained weight I began having irregular periods (missed periods, very very long heavy periods etc) and then I suffered from amenorrhea for almost a year. No PCOS or hormonal irregularities.

Two weeks after surgery I had my first normal cycle in a year, it was like a miracle. It was also a gentle period - my previous irregular periods were very very heavy and crampy.

The amenorrhea was one of my main reasons for having WLS. I'm eager to freeze my eggs and I needed my cycles to normalize in order to do that. I'm hopeful that my next period will come 28 days after the last.

I'm 6 weeks out and my cycle has gone bonkers. Had a period last month which lasted 2 weeks and all of a sudden this week got major spotting out of nowhere. I am taking my pill consecutively as I always have, in effort to skip my period for a few months at a time, but after surgery it seems my uterus has a mind of its own.

Lol, I thought this thread was going to be about bikes - and as I'm keen to get myself one when I've dropped a bit of weight I was hoping to find some good recommendations here haha!

If it helps my menstrual cycle has been all over the place since my op, but it was sort of like that beforehand anyway so not much help. Sorry :P

Jo x

Haha! I guess the title was a bit misleading. I was going to title this post, "Menstrual Cycle Help" but didn't want to traumatize any of the guys lol. I want to cycle as well (bicycle) so sure... Feel free to talk about that as well if you'd like

@@reducer623

We have both had our coppers around the same length of time. My periods went from heavy to light in about 6 months. I have always had random spotting if I have high activities levels.

Lately me between period spotting has lightened up and is almost non existent. I am hoping by the end of the year to be back to normal.

Since we don't have hormones to help us, our bodies just have to work it out on their own.

I'm 54 1/2 and was quite relieved to have finally stopped the monthly cycle. I hadn't had a period in 6-7 months and surprise... 2 weeks post operation I had the worst cramps and bleeding. I hope it is another 6-7 months before it happens again.

Lots of things have changed with my body though. Restless legs seem worse, reflux worse, and constipation...ugh. The things we do to be thinner and healthier. I'll accept it.

I'm 54 1/2 and was quite relieved to have finally stopped the monthly cycle. I hadn't had a period in 6-7 months and surprise... 2 weeks post operation I had the worst cramps and bleeding. I hope it is another 6-7 months before it happens again.

Lots of things have changed with my body though. Restless legs seem worse, reflux worse, and constipation...ugh. The things we do to be thinner and healthier. I'll accept it.

You might be dehydrated or have low potassium if your legs are bothering you more than usual.

I got my cycle for the first time in about a year on Monday. PCOS. I hit a weight recently that I was pretty much close to this time last year so I guess I have a range where things will start to click on for me. Usually when they come back they are fairly normal. Lasting 5-7 days, and if weight loss continues they will be back on a 28 day cycle.

I had fairly light periods with only a bit of cramping on day 1.

Since the op I literally feel like I've been kicked in the back a hundred times for about 4 days and very heavy bleeding.

I've seen bariatric nurse and she thinks I could be anaemic so waiting for bloods to be taken but she did say lots of patients experienced a change in their periods.

I'm 3 weeks out- having my period for the 2nd time since surgery!! And I'm still on my blood thinner injections.... Ugh!! Hate this

@@reducer623

We have both had our coppers around the same length of time. My periods went from heavy to light in about 6 months. I have always had random spotting if I have high activities levels.

Lately me between period spotting has lightened up and is almost non existent. I am hoping by the end of the year to be back to normal.

Since we don't have hormones to help us, our bodies just have to work it out on their own.

Mine have just began to lighten up after having it for what seems like forever lol. I was worried about the random spotting after surgery but my monthly visit was lighter this time around. Hopefully that's an affect of the surgery.

@@reducer623

Just be prepared, mine went all over the map and now they are finally working back to getting normal. I have a lot more weight to lose than you and I was much heavier to start and I had been that heavy for a very long time, so hopefully you normalize before I do.