Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What just happened..?

I was laying on my belly, trying to sleep as usual when all of a sudden I burped some sort of liquid which tasted horrible. At first it seemed like it was something super spicy that I had eaten which I had not since its 3 in the morning but what is it?? It tasted so horrible and I can't get rid of it since some of it when down my windpipe..

I haven't eaten anything out of ordinary today.. Vegetable Soup for dinner and cucumber slices before bed.. What the hell just happened!?

Is this bile??

I can and I will.

sounds like reflux to me......cucumbers cause indigestion for me and wouldn't be something I'd eat before bed because of that.....

hope it's better now.

acid reflux -- are you on a PPI? If not, you probably need one. If you are, you may need a different PPI or to adjust the dosage. Definitely check in with your doctor.

Don't eat within a couple of hours of going to bed, that should help a lot.

Good luck!

Yes, sounds like acid reflux. Happened to me twice in the past, woke up at 3 am coughing up and choking on burning, horrible foaming acid.

I elevated my pillows and got a script for stronger PPI, Nexium 40mg. This helped me, and thank goodness I haven't had this happen to me again!

I also had to stop drinking Tomato juice, as it was too acidy.

Good luck!

I didn't eat cucumbers before bed. The last thing I ate was cucumbers around 12 and then I went to bed at 3. That was alarming but things have been okay since so we are good. I am waiting for my lab results I will discuss this when I see my doctor.

I can and I will.

acid reflux -- are you on a PPI? If not, you probably need one. If you are, you may need a different PPI or to adjust the dosage. Definitely check in with your doctor.

Good luck!

What is ppi??

I can and I will.

Good luck!

What is ppi??

I can and I will.

Definitely acid reflux - horrific taste! A PPI is an acid reducer. You should ask for one if not already on it. Cucumbers at 12 could have done it. I used to get it hours after I ate - usually when I was sleeping on my stomach. Zantac before bed helped.

PPI stands for Proton Pump Inhibitors that reduce gastric acid secretions.

I was on Rabeprazole initially, and this did not work for me.

Nexium works, and I haven't had problems with reflux since I swapped meds.

Acid reflux won't show up on lab results, you can only experience it, the nasty stuff, and if it is troublesome, then a PPI will be needed to prevent it, as untreated it can cause problems later on.

Reflux can be tested via endoscope or Barium swallow (not that accurate), also the ph can be tested, but it is easy to diagnose by actually experiencing it.

I am glad @@Lema that so far it hasn't come back.

Good luck and I hope that you will stay free of acid reflux.