Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Apparently I'm Not Losing!

Just left the doctors office (sitting in the car). I don't know what to think but I'm devastated! Going into surgery into surgery I weighed 222pds. This morning as I stated in a previous post my scale had me down to 208-209(dial style scale).

At the doctor their scales (with my clothes and everything) had me at 218!! That means only 4lbs weight loss in 3 weeks?! I'm already in my feelings because I didn't lose any weight due to a stall and now this.

The doctor said "well you highest weight was 238, so you're 20lbs down. Be happy". I would certainly be happy if it were 20 lbs down since surgery but I lost the majority of weight from my pre-op diet.

Please give suggestions. I feel like I'm going to be trapped in this body. I've been doing everything and more! This is really discouraging. I'm usually the most optimistic person but I must say, this has me feeling blue. I come on here every morning as the start of my day & read these fascinating stories to keep me inspired and on track. Is there something wrong with my body? Has this happened to anyone else? (Sorry if there are typos, I'm too emotional at the moment to do any spell checks).

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

first thing recognize that your hormones are making you feel everything under 1000x magnification.

second thing is in the first month you are still healing. some people are loosing crazy - they probably had a lot of Water and other things going on. you may not. it is very unhelpful to compare. there are some (not everyone but SOME) who are loosing because they are *not* following their programs and may be in some ways in an unhealthy loosing situation - how will they fare 5 years from now compared to someone who follows program and looks for better health above a scale number? There are some loosing more and having complications that keep them from eating as they ought to be eating. some have the advantage of just being boys and tending to loose much faster. GRR. You just can't win by comparing your journey.

thirdly, I started off at surgery at 238 and now am at 195. it is slower than some, but it is coming off. I think I had probably lost about 12 pounds at that point and I was very discouraged as well. it took a while to come to peace with the process, but feeling different in my body, seeing the changes in the mirror have encouraged me greatly. you will get there too. keep following your program.

fourth - whatever the doctor scale says I just ignore. go by whatever scale you are more consistently using. for me I weigh at different times and such, but first thing Monday morning is my official weight, and that is what I need to see trending downwards, and that is the number that I measure by.

Hang in there!

first thing recognize that your hormones are making you feel everything under 1000x magnification.

second thing is in the first month you are still healing. some people are loosing crazy - they probably had a lot of Water and other things going on. you may not. it is very unhelpful to compare. there are some (not everyone but SOME) who are loosing because they are *not* following their programs and may be in some ways in an unhealthy loosing situation - how will they fare 5 years from now compared to someone who follows program and looks for better health above a scale number? There are some loosing more and having complications that keep them from eating as they ought to be eating. some have the advantage of just being boys and tending to loose much faster. GRR. You just can't win by comparing your journey.

thirdly, I started off at surgery at 238 and now am at 195. it is slower than some, but it is coming off. I think I had probably lost about 12 pounds at that point and I was very discouraged as well. it took a while to come to peace with the process, but feeling different in my body, seeing the changes in the mirror have encouraged me greatly. you will get there too. keep following your program.

fourth - whatever the doctor scale says I just ignore. go by whatever scale you are more consistently using. for me I weigh at different times and such, but first thing Monday morning is my official weight, and that is what I need to see trending downwards, and that is the number that I measure by.

Hang in there!

Thank you! I really needed to hear that, especially w/ us starting at the same point. How long have you been post op?

5 months and in a longish stall that finally seems to be breaking. and that is normal too.

I try to keep my focus on many things, not just the scale. I feel better than I have in years. I am thinner than I have been in decades, I am happy with the food I eat, even though it is small amounts. I feel like I have balance and am not hungry and depriving myself all the time. These things are every bit as important as the number on the scale.

5 months and in a longish stall that finally seems to be breaking. and that is normal too.

I try to keep my focus on many things, not just the scale. I feel better than I have in years. I am thinner than I have been in decades, I am happy with the food I eat, even though it is small amounts. I feel like I have balance and am not hungry and depriving myself all the time. These things are every bit as important as the number on the scale.< /p>

Very encouraging, thanks & good luck!

You are still healing from major surgery.

How are you doing at getting in all of your Protein and fluids? What is your Protein target? Are you getting in at least that much every day?

It sounds counterintuitive but until you are able to eat enough the numbers on the scale are pretty worthless as a measure of your progress.

Embrace the Stall

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

It is incredibly common for weight loss to stall or even to gain a little around 3 weeks post op. Search for the "dreaded week 3 stall" on these forums and you will see hundreds and hundreds of posts about the same thing. You just had major surgery, likely have internal swelling, your body doesn't know what to make of everything that's going on. Just give it time! Stick to your plan. Focus on healing. Focus on getting your Water and Protein in. Focus on getting up and walking around every couple of hours. Those are the things you CAN control right now. Your body's reaction and the numbers on the scale are things you CAN'T control, so don't stress about them!

You are still healing from major surgery.

How are you doing at getting in all of your Protein and fluids? What is your Protein target? Are you getting in at least that much every day?

It sounds counterintuitive but until you are able to eat enough the numbers on the scale are pretty worthless as a measure of your progress.

Embrace the Stall

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

I'll focus on more protein. To be honest I've been scared to eat so I do the very minimum. Maybe my body refuses to lose bc it thinks it's starving. I will work on the fear of eating & embrace this journey. It will come off eventually. Thank you!