Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PB in Sleep

Im not sure what is happening.

On Monday I got my second fill, officially at a 1.8cc now.

Thursday night I drank some juice before going to bed and about 30 minutes later I started choking and coughing in my sleep. Even though I was sleeping I felt the juice coming back up. So I changed positions and tried falling asleep again... same thing! Juice coming back up.

Then I elevated my head and tried sleeping this way. Much better! Just not very comfortable.

Same thing happened again tonight once I went to sleep . This time it was a little stronger - and I was even propped up on lastnights pillows.

What is going on?

I searched the archives on information on this topic and found something that Tellie wrote back in Aug about GERD. I have no idea what GERD is.

HELP!

Paula ... it sounds like you are having reflux... not pb. You need to call your doctor... and don't eat or drink anything a couple of hours before bedtime. If you are having reflux... the contents of your stomach are coming up into the esophagus... Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD). Call your doc Miss Paula...they will probably want to put you on medication for reflux... check the position of your band or at least remove some of your fill. Did you ever have this problem before being banded???? (((hugs)))

Darcy

No PB but reflux, it could mean you are a tad too tight..it will probably happen even if you do not drink before bed. Even thoughyou had your fill on Monday it couldtake a few days to take affect. Call your Doc and get on some prevacid or Nexium..Good Luck

Paula, don't eat or drink a couple of hours before you go to bed. That will give things time to pass on through your esophagus. juice is pretty acidic. If you drink anything late, maybe just Water. Get someone to elevate your headboard. Propping up on pillows just bends your stomach and doesn't help. Do you think that you could be too full? Please check with your dr. Reflux is bad with a band. Take care and get to feeling better! Santa Claus is coming!

Thanks Darcy, Michelle and Marie!

Darcy, no, Ive NEVER had reflux. I guess thats why Im not familear with whatever this is. It just started Thursday night. What a crazy situation, when my head is elevated too high I stop breathing and wake up gasping for air (sleep apnea?), so normally I sleep on one fairly thin pillow. Well, the past 2 nights I have slept with head elevated to prevent this GERD or whatever it is, and now the sleep apnea is kicking my butt!!!!! (sigh) What a complainer... sorry!

Michelle, have you heard about this? Do you really think the med's will help? Ill try anything. I am sleep deprived..... I need sleep!!! And wouldnt you know, its Saturday, cant do much till Monday. Oh geez, two more nights of this?!?!?!

:D Oh, Paula. I'm so sorry to hear about this. Reflux is NO fun. Not that kind of reflux, but it certainly coincides with your new fill. :D Try not to eat/drink at least 3 hrs before bed. I know the drinking part will be harder, but it does sound as if they have you a tad too tight and you do not want this. It's critical to have them take out even the smallest bit to give you and your band relief. I'm really sorry.:D Keep us posted!

Paula, I started having reflux problems a few weeks ago (first since banding). My barium swallow was good. So I got an unfill last week, am taking prevacid, and to wait 2 months. No reflux now. I had reflux and hiatal hernia for years before banding. Didn't want to do that again. I still sleep with my bed inclined. (My large dog likes it, so she can get under the bed.)

Paula, I agree with everyone else. I had one episode of this, with Water, and one was enough for me. The solution is to make good and sure your pouch is empty before going to bed--no food or drink for at least a couple of hours before lying down. Medication will help relieve the discomfort of acid refluxing up, but if it's food or drink prevention is key as well.

Good luck!