Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To tight - No fill in 4 years

~ Too tight after 4 years of being banded ~

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am setting the date for my band removal finally....I wanted to keep my baby...but it has been too tight from day one. I was never able to get a fill in and I have suffered for far too long with pb'ing & a burning chest all 4 years. (My original doc would never listen to me...so I gave up going to him & learned to deal with it all!)

My original doc moved so I am free to go to other docs for opinions....seeing I have bad ulcers all the way up & down my esophagus (I am not perforated nor have I strectched my pouch at all after all these years..I have been a good girl!!) one says I should have it removed period...the other said I could have it replaced.... I could go for another band....but...I feel that if I have it out...it will allow my esophagus to heal at a more progressive rate?? this is my dilemma...

Is there anyone out there that has had this same experience and/or care to give me their thoughts and ideas?

Thanks!

Dawn

Hi Dawn,

I think my original band was too tight from the start, too, though perhaps not as tight as yours. After three years I definitely started suffering regularly from reflux and heartburn, and unfills only helped for a while. My band was finally removed on 4/9 after a slip was diagnosed.

Last week I had a new band put in, the new AP band. I don't know if I have the large size or not, but even the small one is a good deal larger than the original 4cc band I had. So far so good--I know it's early days but right out of the gate I am MUCH more comfortable than I had been after the initial surgery four years ago.

I hear you about healing, and agree that's very important. Removal probably makes sense for you at this time. But don't close the door on replacement if it's an option for you. Good luck with whatever you decide, and I hope you heal up completely!!

~ Too tight after 4 years of being banded ~

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am setting the date for my band removal finally....I wanted to keep my baby...but it has been too tight from day one. I was never able to get a fill in and I have suffered for far too long with pb'ing & a burning chest all 4 years. (My original doc would never listen to me...so I gave up going to him & learned to deal with it all!)

My original doc moved so I am free to go to other docs for opinions....seeing I have bad ulcers all the way up & down my esophagus (I am not perforated nor have I strectched my pouch at all after all these years..I have been a good girl!!) one says I should have it removed period...the other said I could have it replaced.... I could go for another band....but...I feel that if I have it out...it will allow my esophagus to heal at a more progressive rate?? this is my dilemma...

Is there anyone out there that has had this same experience and/or care to give me their thoughts and ideas?

Thanks!

Dawn

Dawn, I have only been banded since 6-4-07 and I have not been able to handle a fill either. Can you tell me what type of complications you experienced that prevented you from gettting fills? Did it cause a full feeling in your throat?

Hi, y'all. This is my first time in a forum.

In my original surgery on 6/22/07 my doctor used the middle sized band. I had major problems from the beginning, couldn't keep anything at all down. I stayed in the hospital 5 days. They thought it was inflammation and would resolve. It didn't!!:) and they sent me home. I lost 21 lbs in 10 days--great results--horrible way to do it.

Then 7/3/07 we went back in and replaced the band with the largest one. That surgery only took about 45 minutes and I was home by 7 p.m. I've felt wonderful since then and have lost 36 pounds total.

Hi Dawn. At the end of teh day you have to do what you feel is right for you, however I think you should consider getting a larger band. It sounds like its worked for most other people who have had similar problems and the last thing you want after band removal is to gain back all your weight. Just a suggestion.

Hi, y'all. This is my first time in a forum.

In my original surgery on 6/22/07 my doctor used the middle sized band. I had major problems from the beginning, couldn't keep anything at all down. I stayed in the hospital 5 days. They thought it was inflammation and would resolve. It didn't!!:) and they sent me home. I lost 21 lbs in 10 days--great results--horrible way to do it.

Then 7/3/07 we went back in and replaced the band with the largest one. That surgery only took about 45 minutes and I was home by 7 p.m. I've felt wonderful since then and have lost 36 pounds total.

Did you get your surgery in Mexico or US. What doctor did you got to. I want this done but I'm scared with all these talks, What is a fill and you mean these have to come out and then another one put in? Wouldn't it be easier to get gastric bypass?

I'm just wondering what to do.

Thanks,

Dena Hall

Dawn,

If it were me, and money wasn't an issue, I would go with the larger band. I hope you are doing better and begin to heal.

Did you get the band in US or Mexico? I want to get mine done but want a good Doctor.

What is this fill, etc. and cc's and all that talk about? Tell me more?

wanting to get this done though better than getting bigger like I am now/