Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is the band a waste of money?

Losing the weight can be done...but can you KEEP it off...or will you yo-yo like most of us? Yes, I could probably have gotten some of my weight off without the band (though I didn't seem to be able to do it for the last 15 years), but as you get older your metabolism turns to cement and it takes more than an act of congress to lose even a little. And all you have to do is blink and it comes back....along with more than what you took off in the first place. I've done that for 45 years. I had had ENOUGH.

Losing the weight can be done...but can you KEEP it off...or will you yo-yo like most of us? Yes, I could probably have gotten some of my weight off without the band (though I didn't seem to be able to do it for the last 15 years), but as you get older your metabolism turns to cement and it takes more than an act of congress to lose even a little. And all you have to do is blink and it comes back....along with more than what you took off in the first place. I've done that for 45 years. I had had ENOUGH.

I am 36 and am noticing losing the weight is much more difficult this time around. You are right, the really hard part is going to be keeping it off. That is why I am really focusing on "lifestyle" and not "diet". We even ordered pizza tonight, but I only had one peice -- in the past I would've had at least 2 and maybe 3. It's nice to know that the band is there as an option if I am unable to get and/or keep the weight off.

Tulips, I don't understand why you would have weight loss surgery to lose 40 lbs. If upsets me so much that these doctors do surgery for just about anyone as long as they get paid. I was 300 lbs and my goal is 150 lbs. For someone wanting to lose 100 pounds+ it is understandable. I just don't think it's worth all the trouble for 40 pounds. I'm not trying to sound rude by any means so please don't take it that way.

There are some people that fight weight issues their whole life. If they are 40lbs overweight today maybe they were 100lbs overweight 10 years ago.

Honestly, I don't care if someone is 40lbs and never been bigger in their lives. If they are going up and up on the scale and dieting isn't working I say band them! Do it now before they are diabetic, have joint problems, cardiac problems, etc. Let's prevent the hard core diseases instead of trying to put a bandaid on them later in life.

I think sometimes when we are bigger than another we think that we could have done it if we were only 40lbs overweight. Truth is, we WERE 40lbs overweight at one time and we couldn't do it, how can they? Also, I have 102 total to lose. It isn't any easier for me to lose 102 than it is for another to lose 40 and keep it off.

Overall, I'd just like to see some complications caused by obesity to be prevented vs. treated later.

If you can't afford fills, then the Band is a waste of money. Look at a set-and-forget it surgery like the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy.

If you can afford fills, then the Band might work for you. But I think you also need to be realistic. Statistics show that it is unlikely that you will lose 100% of your excess weight... with the Band or any other WLS. Some do... and keep it off forever. Some do... and then regain as time goes on... perhaps the only way they lose was too be super restricted... and some never do.

The great thing about the Band is that 1) it's adjustable... both for more restriction or less. No other weight loss surgery offers that.

I would ask you why are you choosing the Band over any other WLS. Knowing your own reasons may tell you if it is worth it for you.

The Band was totally worth it for me at the time... however, if I was making a surgery decision today, I'm not sure I would choose it. I, too, have met too many people with eroded and slipped bands. My Band has had problems with being refilled after my pregnancies... and I'm now finding that I am not alone in this problem. I'm still trying to fix it, though... am going to see yet another new surgeon for my latest fill.

<p>Hi Liz,</p> <p>I admitt I wasnt a self pay (here in Czech Rep. the insurance pays for it and I was BMI 42 to start with). But even if I had to pay for it I would definitely do that.I love love my band and Im 16 months post op lost 77 pounds (my highest weight was at the start of my lap band journey).</p> <p>I dont have any fills.The band works even without a fill but you have to make it work!! </p> <p>Here in Europe the research shows that you can lose weight even without any fills. So you have enough fill options for the future, since the band is meant to be for a lifetime.Yep its probably going to take a bit longer to lose all the weight but dont forget for how long have you been obese...and its all about changing your food habbits and excercising...</p> <p>Good luck to you:-)</p> <p>Eva</p>

I was banded on Aug.20th 2007. I had no complications what so every. I have not got the go ahead and start to add reg foods back into my diet. All is well, and I Love my band. The tool in my body has shown me the way to be free from my weight loss issues. I'm 5'2" and my starting weight and also my highest weight ever was 257# in May. I found out that I was TYpe 2 diabetic, sleep apnea, asthma,chronic pains in feet and back. I was a mess. I know have lost 29 # including preop diet and surgery and I have decreased joint pain, asthma is much better, the doctor has lowered my meds for my diabetis and I feel much healther so far. I have more energy and sleep alot less. I want to get up and greet the day each morning. So to answer your question, YES I would get the band again in a sec....... Good luck with your delima.

nulife2be

Hi everyone! Thanks so much for your posts. I am officially one of you! I was banded last Thursday/Friday at 2am. So far I feel pretty good. I felt like doo doo the first two days being sore and having a lot of gas pains. My tummy feels fine now and just having a lot of gas pains in my shoulder. I really appreciate everyone's input. I was really wanting to back out and run.

If you can't afford fills, then the Band is a waste of money. Look at a set-and-forget it surgery like the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy.

That doesn't make a lot of sense. If someone can afford $11K+ for a sleeve then they can afford $8K + fills.

If you can afford fills, then the Band might work for you. But I think you also need to be realistic. Statistics show that it is unlikely that you will lose 100% of your excess weight... with the Band or any other WLS. Some do... and keep it off forever. Some do... and then regain as time goes on... perhaps the only way they lose was too be super restricted... and some never do.

None of the procedures are typically advertised as promising you'll lose 100% of your excess weight. It's a tool and it depends on how much people want to lose weight. If you want to lose it all, do. If you don't, don't.

The Band was totally worth it for me at the time... however, if I was making a surgery decision today, I'm not sure I would choose it. I, too, have met too many people with eroded and slipped bands. My Band has had problems with being refilled after my pregnancies... and I'm now finding that I am not alone in this problem. I'm still trying to fix it, though... am going to see yet another new surgeon for my latest fill.

How would it have been better to get pregnant with a sleeve or bypass?

That doesn't make a lot of sense. If someone can afford $11K+ for a sleeve then they can afford $8K + fills.

Actually, WBB... sleeves are often cheaper than Bands as the surgeon does not have to pay for the medical device. Most surgeons charge about the same for both (surgeons that do both, of course)... but really, there isn't a $3,000 difference. Also, people's financial situations change. I've been Banded for six years now. My Band cost $10,000 back in 2001... plus airfare. Fills were $650 a shot back then plus airfare... now I pay $350/fill or unfill. My financial situation is different being a stay-at-home Mom vs. a single professional person. I honestly never expected to be still paying for fills and unfills six years later. I had assumed one would find the sweet spot and that would be that. But since I've been Banded, they've learned that our Bands naturally lose some fill over time. Not a lot, but enough to get out of one's sweet spot. Fills and unfills are likely a part of one's life long term.

If you want to lose it all, do. If you don't, don't.

Wow, what an insulting comment and an ignorant one as well. Do you really think that every person who does not lose all the weight did not really want to? Gee... why did you even have weight loss surgery when if you had really wanted to, you could have just stuck to a diet. People do not lose all of their weight for a wide variety of reasons including Band issues... such as needing unfills due to GERD or slippage. It's not just a matter of willpower. If it were, none of us would have ever gotten WLS.

How would it have been better to get pregnant with a sleeve or bypass?

I never said it would be. I said it was right for me at the time. However, my Band has not worked as advertised since my first pregnancy. Am I glad that I did not have to worry about how my weight loss surgery would affect my pregnancy? Definitely. But, there are plenty of women who have healthy pregnancies with other weight loss surgeries... even the DS. So, it really is a personal choice.

Actually, WBB... sleeves are often cheaper than Bands as the surgeon does not have to pay for the medical device. Most surgeons charge about the same for both (surgeons that do both, of course)... but really, there isn't a $3,000 difference. Also, people's financial situations change. I've been Banded for six years now. My Band cost $10,000 back in 2001... plus airfare. Fills were $650 a shot back then plus airfare... now I pay $350/fill or unfill. My financial situation is different being a stay-at-home Mom vs. a single professional person. I honestly never expected to be still paying for fills and unfills six years later. I had assumed one would find the sweet spot and that would be that. But since I've been Banded, they've learned that our Bands naturally lose some fill over time. Not a lot, but enough to get out of one's sweet spot. Fills and unfills are likely a part of one's life long term.

I disagree that there is not a difference in cost, however I'm thinking of Mexican surgeons as that is what I am familiar with. I'm looking at a cheapo surgeon's ad right now as I type this and a band is $6800 and a sleeve is $9800. With a sleeve there is double or triple (or more) OR time, a longer hospital stay, etc. I haven't seen anyone doing bands cheaper than sleeves.

Wow, what an insulting comment and an ignorant one as well. Do you really think that every person who does not lose all the weight did not really want to? Gee... why did you even have weight loss surgery when if you had really wanted to, you could have just stuck to a diet. People do not lose all of their weight for a wide variety of reasons including Band issues... such as needing unfills due to GERD or slippage. It's not just a matter of willpower. If it were, none of us would have ever gotten WLS.

No, not insulting in the least. People work their band or they don't. Many people get to a normal BMI and they are happy with that, they don't want to work towards a BMI of 20, they are happy with a 25. So I beg to differ with you, it is not ignorant in the least. It's a fact.

Look, just because you disagree with someone that does not make the other person ignorant. Perhaps we need to be adults here and agree to disagree.

I never said it was a will power issue, with the band we can lose weight. That's why most of us GET a band. I also did not make 'across the board' comments either as you would like to imply.

I never said it would be. I said it was right for me at the time. However, my Band has not worked as advertised since my first pregnancy. Am I glad that I did not have to worry about how my weight loss surgery would affect my pregnancy? Definitely. But, there are plenty of women who have healthy pregnancies with other weight loss surgeries... even the DS. So, it really is a personal choice.

I never claimed it wasn't a personal choice, I asked a question which you declined to answer.

I think everyone is right that many just stop posting unless they are having difficulty. I am absolutely ecstatic about my weight loss. I went in surgery 80 or so pounds overweight. That was Dec 06. I am proud to say that I now weigh 176 and have 26 pounds to go to meet my drs goal and about 50 to go to meet my personal goal. It took about to months before I began to lose but as soon as I had my second fill things reaaly began to look up! The lapband is great and worth every penny. I'd choose it again in a heartbeat!!!

tulips...the scary thing is you are only in your 30's. I wasn't anywhere ner as heavy as you back then...and as you get older that metabolism and ability to diet is going to go right down the toilet. You have to get it off now and keep it off. Once you hit your 40's everything is going to slow down....and forget your 50's. If I could have done this 10 years ago I would have. I applaude if you can do it yourself, but at least in MY case (and many othere here) I KNEW it was just a temporary thing because I KNEW my predisposition and my eating habits. By the time I got into my 50's I knew my "behavior" was not going to change ....EVER.