Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August Bandsters How are you Doing So Far

Hi everyone! I am still not sure about how much/how quickly I can drink but will take it easy until my first fill appointment and ask about it then. One of my scars is starting to itch!!! Agh!!!! I'm too scared to scratch it...lol. I couldn't believe it but I lost 5 pounds over the 4 day weekend. Wow! I'm not supposed to add my Protein Shakes until Friday (Atkins drinks) but I went ahead and did becuase I am desperate for the Vitamins and Protein. I'm still breastfeeding my son and my milk is disappearing so I had to do something since I can't eat healthier. How is every going for everyone else?

I was banded Aug 24 and i am starving im not actually hungry but i really miss food i was also an outpatient and had a difficult recovery im almost 2 weeks out and just want to chew something anything!

Hi, Nicole! Welcome to the Crazy Ates! I was banded on the 21st, same week as you. :eek:

I was going CRAZY :Cry: by the end of the liquid phase and started pureed yesterday and today. You have my sympathy. I started on very mushy refried Beans a few days early but it totally saved me.

Candle, I should have clarified that I was talking about in the early healing phase. I think you're absolutely right about after we've healed.

TexasBecky, Congrats on your loss! I can't believe you're 1 month post-op already. That's great! When do you get your first fill?

claramae, It's sounds like you're doing better. I hope you enjoyed your outing. How are you feeling?

Liz1531, Wow! I can understand why you started early on Protein drinks. Don't want baby to get hungry :hungry:. It's amazing how different each Dr is. Mine started me on Atkins shakes the day after surgery and I've read others who went to mushies in one week or less!

Wishing everyone a happy, healthy, speedy recovery.

Ok, so I'm officially 3 weeks and 1 day out. I feel soooooo much better this week than even last week. I finally feel like I'm gaining some of my energy back. My doc calls for full liquids in week 1-3, purees in weeks 4-7, and soft foods in weeks 8-10. So, I started purees today. What a welcome change to the full liquids. I'm weighing in once a week (every Tuesday) and thinking I might start back into my workout regime (1 hr every M-W-F morning) next week. I know I probably won't do the entire hour for awhile, but it'll be good to get up and get in there at 6 a.m. again. Other than that, I've been throwing in walks 2-3 times a day and am back up to my normal daily activity level.

As a note, my bariatric nurse (who was also banded) recommended a Protein powder found at Wal-mart in the pharmacy section. It's called Body Fortress whey Protein. I have the chocolate kind, but not sure what other flavors it comes in. It is sold in a really large plastic jar. 1 scoop per 1 cup of milk = 31 g of protein. I'm drinking them every morning for Breakfast. Not as good as the carnation instant Breakfast, but not horrible.

Hope you all had a wonderful holiday weekend...and did I mention that I love my band!

Glenda

236/212/130

Thanks for the welcome im really nervous about going back to work im a waitress and have to lift heavy trays but its been almost 2 weeks since my surgery so i have to get back out in the real world wish me luck 2 more days and then i can have mushys!!!

Congrats TexasBecky. Did it seem like it took you forever to get to this point? I am a long way from where you are at now. One day at a time.Are you afraid to eat real food. I think I will be. Keep me posted. What part of Texas are you from. I live outside of Rockwall, Texas, east of Dallas.

Hi Miss Nilsa, it sounds like you are doing very well with your new band! Good for you ! I'm planning to having my surgury done at the NYU center as well. I don't have a date yet as I am still going back and forth...and back again (after reading your encouraging post!). I think I was completely wrong about the new AP band. What I read was that because the size is larger as it is 360 degree around as apposed to the older model which was smaller where the buckle was, you had MORE restriction from the start and that you wouldn't feel hungry in the beginning as much. I have heard people having trouble with it being too tight right from the start. There is a lot to learn here. So you were able to eat more of a variety of foods in the beginning Miss Nilsa or is it through every stage? This does sound like an improvement if it is the latter. Thank you in advance!

I am putting that Soup in my LAP BAND file!! Wow .....wish I had a friend like yours...what a sweetheart to make that for you. Sounds awesome!!

Banded Chick--I did enjoy my outing yesterday. I still have some of the Soup from AppleBees in ref. I had to step on scales this morning. Yesterday, I had lost 15.6 pounds. Now it is 18.1. Believe me that I am not afraid that I am gonna blow away, but how long can I expect this to last. Almost too good to be true.

Hi All! It sounds like everyone is doing so good. I am thrilled to be on solid food again. I was getting so hungry on the soft foods, but I am finding that solid food, chewed really well, is keeping me full so much longer.

Band Chick, I won't be getting a fill until September 28. My doctor waits 8 weeks post op.

Glenda, good for you getting back on your exercise program. You should check out the Aug/Sept. Exercise thread (that Band Chick started). I find it motivating to have made an exercise commitment and know I've got to log my progress.

Clara, I live in the DFW area too! I had my surgery at UTSW (Zale Lipshy) and it was a great experience. Where did you have your horrible experience? I'm glad to hear that you're doing better everyday. Remember, you need to focus on yourself now. Taking care of everyone else's needs and ignoring our own is what got many of us in the shape we're in. Plus, we are in a better position to help others when we are feeling strong and healthy ourselves.

TexasBecky, so happy you are enjoying your solid foods. I will use as my guide through the process if and when I get there.

I had my surgery at LakePoint Medical Center in Rowlett.

I hate to complain, but today, I feel like *&^%. I am so tired that I cannot believe it. I do not want to do anything today, not even get dressed. I think part of the problem is stress from my youngest (she is 35) daughter. She simply wears me out and for good reason. She is an alcholic. She does not admit her problem. She lost her precious teaching job last Friday. She taught pre schoolers and loved it. I do not know what happened to prompt her dismissal and probably do not want to know. She was so wrapped up in her own life, she did not even remember that I was having lapband surgery until her sister called her to tell her that I was fine!!! So, I imagine that explains why so tired.:bored:help:

Taking care of everyone else's needs and ignoring our own is what got many of us in the shape we're in.

Who told you? I was keeping that a secret. LOL! It's so true! That was the biggest factor to my problem and it sets a horrible example for my kids, who I thought I was helping. I'm learning to take care of myself now, because I'm worth it!

Congrats on real food, Becky! :biggrin1:

Ladies... my tummy hurts. Any advice please? My tummy is rumbling a lot and it hurts right in the middle in my upper abdomin. Is this gas? I'm so confused. I'm on Day 6 post op.

Liz, I think aches and pains in the abdomen and stomach are normal in the first few weeks. I've seen posts from lots of people complaining of stomach aches in the early days. What have you been eating or drinking? Are you following your doctor's instructions? If so, you are probably fine. I would call the doc if you have fever or are vomitting.

I am so hungry and my stomach hunger pains sounds like an elephant! I'm 2 weeks post op and still no liquids. I called the doctor and dietician and begged them to please let me go ahead and start soft pureed but they both said "NO"! I was told just because I feel good on the outside does not mean I am healed on the inside. The only thing she told me I could do was have anything as long as it was liquid (V8, skim the juice from a can of Beans, SF yogart). Well at least that's better than the broth, Jello and skim milk. That does add something. Also, I already was taking the juice from some Hot & Sour chinese Soup. That helped some as far as flavor.

Other than that, I'm doing okay. I just cooked my son's family meal (alsmost cried from hunger and want) but I was starting to feel quilty as I have not cooked in a week. He and my husband was trying to be helpful by eating out of the freezer (sometimes not so good of stuff). So I was kind of feeling like I was killing them in the process of doing something for the better for me. It was worth the torture seeing the happiness on their faces for a real meal!!

Congrats to all that are doing so well!!!

Rumar