Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Consultation Tomorrow for VSG

Hey everyone,

I work for a hospital in North Carolina and my insurance covers the surgery. I have a consultation on tomorrow. I have type 2 diabetes and I weigh 250 pounds. I am a mother of 2 kids. I was told I would only need to be out of work for a 1 week from other co-workers who had the surgery performed. I am interested in knowing how long was your recovery for the surgery?

I think it really varies with each person and the type of job you have. I, myself, took 2 weeks off. 1 week for the surgery itself, and the recovery (2 nights in the hospital, 2 in a recovery house). And then I took an additional week off because my job can be physical (lifting 50lb bins regularly), and I didn't want to risk anything with my incisions, nor the fact that I had been on liquids only for 2 weeks prior and 2 weeks after surgery, which meant my energy wasn't really there. I was extremely grateful for those two weeks, because by the time I went back I was on purees and was able to have a whole lot more energy.

I agree with @MissKay. You really need 2 weeks. I mean, if you don't have a really physical job, you could go sit there and be present at work. This surgery and the post op diet really zap your energy, though.

I agree with @MissKay. You really need 2 weeks. I mean, if you don't have a really physical job, you could go sit there and be present at work. This surgery and the post op diet really zap your energy, though.

Hi anniebanana - I see you've just had surgery. How did it go? Are you managing well mentally and physically?

@@TracyBar Doing well! Surgery went smoothly. Am just about over the discomfort from the incisions. Never had gas pains at all, thankfully! Still at Stage 2, so I am looking forward to moving on to the next stage next week. A bit tired and my emotions are all over the place, but I know that's to be expected. Down 15 pounds since I got home from the hospital last Friday!

Edited by anniebanana

@@TracyBar Doing well! Surgery went smoothly. Am just about over the discomfort from the incisions. Never had gas pains at all, thankfully! Still at Stage 2, so I am looking forward to moving on to the next stage next week. A bit tired and my emotions are all over the place, but I know that's to be expected. Down 15 pounds since I got home from the hospital last Friday!

Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@anniebanana - great to hear! I'm not sure what the stages are, but happy to hear you're getting through o.k. What emotions can be expected? (good and bad) ;-)

@@TracyBar It really is a bit of an emotional rollercoaster for me. I'm not swinging really high or really low, but I feel a little bit off. I'm not sleeping really well so I'm assuming that doesn't help, but I have no doubt the hormones are doing something! Stage 2 in our program is just broth, pureed, non-cream based Soups, yogurt and fluids. I would kill for a scrambled egg! When is your surgery?

@@Clarevoyant I forget, have you had yours yet or is it coming up soon?

@@Clarevoyant I forget, have you had yours yet or is it coming up soon?

Tomorrow!

@@Clarevoyant Oh duh, should have seen the ticker lol. So you excited, nervous, terrified, all of the above?

@@TracyBar It really is a bit of an emotional rollercoaster for me. I'm not swinging really high or really low, but I feel a little bit off. I'm not sleeping really well so I'm assuming that doesn't help, but I have no doubt the hormones are doing something! Stage 2 in our program is just broth, pureed, non-cream based Soups, yogurt and fluids. I would kill for a scrambled egg! When is your surgery?

I'm researching the surgery to make sure it's the right thing for me - both physically and mentally. I'm not at the point yet where I'm comfortable with this option. Not sure what it will take to get me there, maybe just time and more research. I've been really facing up to my past - all the times that I've been so deeply saddened by the low points or rock bottom's that we all have stories of. I can trace them back quite a long way as I've battled weight issues for so long. Even in childhood it was a tough thing for me. My mom really disliked having a chubby child when her other 3 were so slender. She's the mom that would give her last dollar to her kids, but she couldn't come to terms with me being overweight. I had many years of being slender - but this took very low calories and 2-3 hours of working out per day 6 or 7 days a week. That's been the only way I've ever kept weight off. But who, after kids, can keep up that kind of lifestyle? Anyway, I have other issues that I need to consider (physically). I malabsorb certain foods - go straight through me - and haven't got a complete handle on that yet. So it does worry me that this surgery could result in me being unable to absorb much and have diarrhea all the time. I also don't do well at all on a diet without Protein (so the liquid stage). Protein shakes would be a good option except I can't have soy or dairy! lol So you see I need to do more research! Also concerning is the fact that the facilitator with the Mexican clinic I was dealing with let me know that she doesn't get paid for time spent answering questions and taking phone calls so I was left with a bad taste in my mouth about that place. It's supposed to be the best with a beautiful hospital, high-tech equipment and highly trained staff. If my experience going into this has been bad, what can I expect AFTER they have my money and the surgery is done? I can't imagine it would be very good. This particular clinic, WLF, has a Canadian connection but not sure how. Think a Canadian woman started it, and funded it but need to look further into it. Their diet seems to be far more strict than what I'm reading here, including yours. It's one month pre-op 800 calories a day - can't remember but believe liquid diet prior to surgery?? Then clear liquid for 2 weeks, and what they call full liquids 2 weeks, then pureed, etc. My reaction in the past to Protein Shakes alone (those shake diets) resulted in illness and shaking. Can't take so much time off work! So you see - lots of big question marks in my mind!

Thanks guys! I'm more just wanting to get it over with. Not too nervous but I'm sure I will be in the morning.

@@TracyBar You're being very smart in how you're approaching this. It's definitely not something anyone should do on a whim, and thankfully most people (at least with insurance) have a waiting period before they can have the surgery. I would encourage you to read the book "The Obesity Code" if you have not already. I've spent about 41 years of my 51 blaming myself for being a failure, for being too gluttonous, too lazy, for something that really is largely out of my hands. I don't eat any more now than I did in my 20's, yet I am 100 pounds heavier! The statistics are sobering, and I'm sure you've read them...only 5% of obese individuals who lose weight manage to keep it off, and they are the ones who are in the gym all the time, something that most of us cannot commit to. Not because it's not important, but because we have so many responsibilities. I did have a trial run. I was approved in 2011 and backed out, lost weight with a personal trainer, watched it all come back very quickly. I feel my body breaking down due to carrying all this excess weight. I hope I made the right decision...too late to go back now at 12 days post op. But I'm down 15 pounds since last Saturday, and I really don't think eating with the small stomach is going to be as terrifying as I anticipated. Thanks for sharing your story and I hope you find some answers that help you in your decision! PS, I wouldn't go to that clinic either! An open dialogue is so important with this, especially when you will be returning back to the states and won't be able to just drive there the way you could with a center here!