Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I started my journey back in February 2016, at 266 my highest. I disgusted with my doctor. And she mentioned the biaratric surgery that can help me with my knees, because I was struggling just to walk. So I called my insurance company and ask them what I needed to do to get it done, they said get a psychiatrist and a nutritionist and they will take care of it so the Journey Begins. I did everything I was supposed to do within a month of talking to my nutrition and changing the way I eat, the hardest thing was to drink 30 minutes after I eat or before so by the time it was time for me to meet my surgeon I had already surpassed their goal for me. For me that was a lifestyle change, she wanted to have my surgery within 2 weeks but my nutritionist had to help me with mine Water intake. June 23rd was the day I had my surgery, they kept me for 5 days due to the fact I couldn't urinate at the appropriate time so had to come home with the bag attached to me until I saw urineologist, and he took good care of me and that was over. So by the time I left the hospital I was on stage 3 Protein liquids, yogurt following directions and I was good the first couple of days. Then I ended up back in the hospital for 2 days because I was dehydrated Water was tasting metallic to me, so they gave me fluids started me on stage 4 pureed food before I left. Basically I was eating like two ounces of pureed chicken + 1 Protein Drink that was my meal, but before I left the smell of the Protein Drink was turning my stomach, so when I got home it continued so I went back to just applesauce and and Multivitamins Calcium the meds they gave me. And I thought I was on my way here I am today: July 11th food won't stay down still drinking water and went back to applesauce waiting for my nutrition to call me. I am taking one day at a time, I have know regrets. I can walk, I walk around the track at 5:30 am every morning, except today. I've gotten up to two miles, taking my time. It is a blessing because a couple of weeks ago I couldn't make it through the grocery store without the scooter. As of today I am at 230lbs and ticking.

Sent from my SM-G530P using the BariatricPal App

The three most important elements after RNY gastric bypass surgery are to meet your daily Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting your stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight.

Weight loss is achieved after surgery through volume control. You begin at 2 ounces (1/4 cup) per meal and gradually over the next year and a half increase the volume to 1 cup per meal. With this minuscule amount of food, it is next to impossible to meet your Protein daily requirements by food alone, so therefore you need to rely on supplements such as Protein shakes.

It is common for your taste buds to change after surgery. I remember in the hospital after surgery I could not drink the Water because it tasted very chlorinated. Eventually I found flavored water such as Crystal Light to work O.K. Many experience problems drinking Protein Shakes. I hated them. But in the beginning I drank them, three 16-ounce protein shakes a day, in order to meet my protein requirements. You do not have to like protein shakes only tolerate them. There are many varieties of protein shakes available today. Experiment until you can find one you can tolerate. Over time as your meal volume increases, if you concentrate on consuming high protein meals, you can begin to reduce your reliance on protein shakes. I went from 3 a day, down to 2, down to 1 and eventually none when I reached 1 cup per meal at a year and a half post-op.

So primarily I recommend that you concentrate on the three most important elements: protein, fluids and Vitamins.

I started my journey back in February 2016, at 266 my highest. I disgusted with my doctor. And she mentioned the biaratric surgery that can help me with my knees, because I was struggling just to walk. So I called my insurance company and ask them what I needed to do to get it done, they said get a psychiatrist and a nutritionist and they will take care of it so the Journey Begins. I did everything I was supposed to do within a month of talking to my nutrition and changing the way I eat, the hardest thing was to drink 30 minutes after I eat or before so by the time it was time for me to meet my surgeon I had already surpassed their goal for me. For me that was a lifestyle change, she wanted to have my surgery within 2 weeks but my nutritionist had to help me with mine Water intake. June 23rd was the day I had my surgery, they kept me for 5 days due to the fact I couldn't urinate at the appropriate time so had to come home with the bag attached to me until I saw urineologist, and he took good care of me and that was over. So by the time I left the hospital I was on stage 3 Protein liquids, yogurt following directions and I was good the first couple of days. Then I ended up back in the hospital for 2 days because I was dehydrated Water was tasting metallic to me, so they gave me fluids started me on stage 4 pureed food before I left. Basically I was eating like two ounces of pureed chicken + 1 Protein Drink that was my meal, but before I left the smell of the Protein drink was turning my stomach, so when I got home it continued so I went back to just applesauce and and Multivitamins Calcium the meds they gave me. And I thought I was on my way here I am today: July 11th food won't stay down still drinking water and went back to applesauce waiting for my nutrition to call me. I am taking one day at a time, I have know regrets. I can walk, I walk around the track at 5:30 am every morning, except today. I've gotten up to two miles, taking my time. It is a blessing because a couple of weeks ago I couldn't make it through the grocery store without the scooter. As of today I am at 230lbs and ticking.

Congratulations! This is awesome.

I was just marveling this morning about how much easier it is for me to just stand today. Before surgery, I couldn't stand for even a minute or so without pain.

Sounds like you are doing great!

I started my journey back in February 2016, at 266 my highest. I disgusted with my doctor. And she mentioned the biaratric surgery that can help me with my knees, because I was struggling just to walk. So I called my insurance company and ask them what I needed to do to get it done, they said get a psychiatrist and a nutritionist and they will take care of it so the Journey Begins. I did everything I was supposed to do within a month of talking to my nutrition and changing the way I eat, the hardest thing was to drink 30 minutes after I eat or before so by the time it was time for me to meet my surgeon I had already surpassed their goal for me. For me that was a lifestyle change, she wanted to have my surgery within 2 weeks but my nutritionist had to help me with mine water intake. June 23rd was the day I had my surgery, they kept me for 5 days due to the fact I couldn't urinate at the appropriate time so had to come home with the bag attached to me until I saw urineologist, and he took good care of me and that was over. So by the time I left the hospital I was on stage 3 protein liquids, yogurt following directions and I was good the first couple of days. Then I ended up back in the hospital for 2 days because I was dehydrated water was tasting metallic to me, so they gave me fluids started me on stage 4 pureed food before I left. Basically I was eating like two ounces of pureed chicken + 1 protein drink that was my meal, but before I left the smell of the protein drink was turning my stomach, so when I got home it continued so I went back to just applesauce and and multivitamins calcium the meds they gave me. And I thought I was on my way here I am today: July 11th food won't stay down still drinking water and went back to applesauce waiting for my nutrition to call me. I am taking one day at a time, I have know regrets. I can walk, I walk around the track at 5:30 am every morning, except today. I've gotten up to two miles, taking my time. It is a blessing because a couple of weeks ago I couldn't make it through the grocery store without the scooter. As of today I am at 230lbs and ticking.

Congratulations! This is awesome.

I was just marveling this morning about how much easier it is for me to just stand today. Before surgery, I couldn't stand for even a minute or so without pain.

Sounds like you are doing great!