Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is there anyone from the DFW Texas area using Dr. Nick Nicholson as their surgeon?

I am using Dr. Nick Nicholson as my surgeon to perform my gastric sleeve. I was just curious if anyone who is in pre-op is using him as their surgeon as well? From what I have read in earlier posts from those that have already had surgery, he is awesome. So far from what I have experienced, he and his office staff have been great. I'm just curious....Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I looked at Dr. Nicholson but decided to go with Dr. Veninga instead. There is nothing wrong with Dr. Nicholson that I know of but I found Dr. Veninga's office staff to be so wonderful! They are on top of everything.

I had my approval 2 days after it was submitted, partly because they are all over the ppwk. I was referred to him by a co-worker and I'm so happy I was. He works out of Baylor in Carrollton and they get you in fast.

He's a little goofy but I like that.

I had no idea until I started reading posts online what some people go through for approval and how long they have to wait after approval.

1st apt with Dr. Veninga - 1/28/16

Ppwk submitted - 6/29/16

His staff called me at 7:30 am on 7/1 to tell me I was approved!!!!

Endoscopy - 7/5

Pre-Op appt - 7/8

Surgery - 7/15

One more thing I love...he doesn't require the 2 week liquid diet prior to surgery. I'm opting to do it anyway...just 1 week before.

Where do you live in Dallas?

I am using Dr. Nick Nicholson as my surgeon to perform my gastric sleeve. I was just curious if anyone who is in pre-op is using him as their surgeon as well? From what I have read in earlier posts from those that have already had surgery, he is awesome. So far from what I have experienced, he and his office staff have been great. I'm just curious....Thank you in advance.

Dr. Veninga...I knew that name sounded familiar before, and that is because many years ago I used to work for a Urologist who had a practice at Baylor of Carrollton; however, back then the hospital was called Trinity Medical Center. Wow, small world! Dr. Nick, like Veninga, has been awesome thus far. I initially started the process with him on April 1st with my consultation, I had my psych evaluation and sleep study both completed by May 8th, paper work submitted to insurance on May 24th and received approval on June 3rd. I have my pre-op nutritional consult on July 15th, and pre-op labs/EKG scheduled within that following week. I start my two week pre-op diet on 7/25/16 and have surgery on 8/8/16. I live in McKinney btw.

I also live in McKinney!!! Small world. I'm 5 days out and getting nervous...er.

Yes you're right, it is a small world, lol!! Well, it is getting down to the wire for you....Are there any fears/apprehensions that you may have about this new journey you're about to embark on? For me, it's never being able to eat some of the foods I enjoy now, being nauseated, and not being able to tell when I have had enough to eat with my new sleeve. I'm sure these feelings are normal, but they do creep in from time to time and overwhelm me. But on the bright side, I'm going take it one day at a time and learn to embrace whatever obstacles that may come. Me, you and everyone else on this forum made the brave choice of being proactive by doing something that some may see as, a very drastic step none the less, to help improve the quality of our lives. I looked into taking this path about two years ago, and things financially didn't pan out, but then again I really didn't push and pursue it like I did this time around either. I have BCBS of TX and it was a covered benefit under my husband's insurance...So I decided to get real serious about it and made it a goal to get this surgery done. I have to admit the insurance approval was something I was real nervous about, but it came through with flying colors! While I still have a couple of weeks before starting the pre-op diet, I too, am getting nervous...er :)

I have become an angry person. I stopped smoking and am on a voluntary liquid diet, since my doctor didn't require one. My skin is crawling and as I sit here at work, typing this, I want to throw my hard drive through the window.

Now, to the good stuff...I have wanted this surgery for years but finally got up the nerve to do it. Unfortunately, I'm plagued by guilt. Five years ago I weighed 150, down from 190. I did it through workouts and limiting my calories. I was so proud of myself! Now I weigh 240 and no longer have the energy to do what I did previously.

I'm tired all the time. I hate the clothes I have to wear....let's face it, fat clothes aren't as cute as skinny ones. I walk around with a smile on my face (that's part of my job) and it's nothing but a mask. That's not to say that I'm not a happy person...I love to play and joke around...but there is always the little voice in the back of my head saying, "You look horrible and everyone knows it."

I'm nervous and guilt ridden about the procedure. So much so that very few people know. Thank heavens I also have a hiatal hernia so I can tell everyone at work I'm going in to fix that and it won't be a lie.

I'm not, however, questioning whether or not I should have the procedure. I know that I have to have it. I know that I can't exercise effectively on my arthritic knees anymore with this amount of weight. I can barely walk.

This is going to be an emotionally charged week for me. I'm glad I found this board. Learning from their experiences has help a ton with the nerves.