Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Making the decision

I'm 29 years old from Arkansas...considering having the sleeve done soon... I have a seminar with one of the doctors tomorrow. I've been reading a lot and decided to join to read others' experiences.... Good and bad. There are times I know I want to go through with the surgery, then times I second guess my decision because of reading complications. Any suggestions on reaching a definite decision? It's scary but when I see others success stories, I want to do it!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Do it. Having the op was the best thing I have ever done in my life. I wish I could have done it years ago. Losing this weight has made me feel free. I am active and can run after my grand daughter, run with my dog and best of all get in and out of my Z4 2 seater car without needing a hoist to haul me out!!

Great hearing that! Everyone I've talked to... Some who have had gastric bypass.. Say just do it. My mom is semi supportive.. She thinks it's extreme, but also said its my decision and she will help if I need. I've lost weight... But it always seems to creep right back. I love hearing the success stories!

I completely understand how difficult this decision is. At the end of the day it comes down to your own decision. I had the sleeve surgery about a year ago and unfortunately I had complications. I had 2 big strictures and I got 2 different surgeons opinions who both said because of how long the strictures are and the location they have never seen it get better without doing the gastric bypass. I didn't want another surgery so I was very stubborn and as a result spent a few months in the hospital with a feeding tube as well as a mesh stent in my esophagus to help open the strictures.

Although it was very hard I did get through it, the strictures are gone and now I can eat without any issues. I have reached my goal weight and am now in the normal BMI range :)

I don't regret my decision because now I am healthier and happier then ever.

I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide :)

That makes me second guess things.... But I know there's risks to doing it as well as risks for not having the surgery. I'm pretty healthy besides being over weight. I have high cholesterol, but besides that not many problems now. I am at high risk for heart problems and diabetes genetically... So I wanted to do something now before it gets to that point. I guess end of the day, is it worth it in the long run....

I'm 29, just had surgery 3 months ago. I'm actually looking forward to turning 30. I'm looking forward to life now that I'm feeling better, down 70 lbs. Unless you're going to be able to change your ways tonight and get on track on your own, the surgery might be your best bet.

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

That's awesome! I can't imagine losing 70lbs! I lost 40 a couple years ago... It took me about a year to do that... And I worked out 3-4x a week and went 2 years without cokes. I ate good... I felt better but I feel like I should've been able to lose more in that amount of time! I'm currently about 290... Sounds crazy to say cause I don't feel I should be this big. I still mentally have the body I did 10 years ago when I was in shape... After 2 kids and probably some depression I'm just not sure how I let myself get this way!

And that 40lbs came right back on after I had to take a break from working out when my hip hurt so badly I limped while working out. I have to face it I'm getting older... My body isn't liking me much lol

That's awesome! I can't imagine losing 70lbs! I lost 40 a couple years ago... It took me about a year to do that... And I worked out 3-4x a week and went 2 years without cokes. I ate good... I felt better but I feel like I should've been able to lose more in that amount of time! I'm currently about 290... Sounds crazy to say cause I don't feel I should be this big. I still mentally have the body I did 10 years ago when I was in shape... After 2 kids and probably some depression I'm just not sure how I let myself get this way!

My weight was also 291. Surgery was 289 and now I'm at 218. I don't know when I was this small, but it's been many years and feels great. I hope you're feeling better about your choice. I've lost 60 lbs like 5 times, and I always gain it back. I don't have enough experience at this point to say I haven't gained it back after the sleeve, but i have little doubt that I can successfully keep it off if I stick with my program and don't try and cheat the sleeve!

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App