Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help asap seeking information on foods

My wife just had the duodenal switch on Monday and is craving Soup saying that she can eat it if its liquefied, I need to know if she can and what she'll be able to actually eat (im in the Walmart parking lot) she doesn't know that shes already in trouble for eating popsicles with sugars, ( I just downloaded a post op diet). I love my wife and children, I can't have her destroying herself by accident so I am taking over. I'll be a regular on these forums because I don't know what she can and cannot do (fully) . Thank you for your time.

Sent from my SM-G920P using the BariatricPal App

Her surgeon should have provided her a detailed list of what foods she can have based on how far post-op she is.

If she is on Clear liquids, then she should be able to have clear soups: bone broth, chicken noodle (without the noodle), won ton (without the won tons), etc.

If she is on full liquids, then she could have light creamed smooth Soups (with chunks strained out).

Definitely look at the post-op food plan given to her by her surgeon or NUT. If you have questions, then call and ask. They should have a 24 hour phone number.

sugar free Popsicles should be fine.

@@Inner Surfer Girl gave you sound, starting advice. There is a great difference between Clear Liquids and liquefied and pureed food.

Pardon me for reading between the lines, @@husbandperry, but too much is at stake given the nature of the surgery and what your wife presumably wants to achieve. Your premise seems to be that your wife is incapable of understanding and carrying out what is in her best interests. It's terrific that you want to be helpful and supportive, but it is imperative that she be able to make sound choices and understand the reasons. If she really doesn't know what to do in the early, post-surgery stages, she should be consulting her bariatric practice's RD for clarification on the instructions she received.

She's stubborn is all, and we've both been around long enough to know that what someone should do and what is actually done waver on occasion. Ive simply read too many horror stories to let her take matters into her own hands in entirety.... in literally any other circumstance I'd tell her its your life do with it what you will..... but not on this subject (at least for the first couple of months). I appreciate the advice, I'll try to get the 24 hour number...

I am also the families cook so knowing what I can do to help with the diet is vital, initially she was just getting the sleeve, literally within 2 weeks of being notified shed be getting the duodenal switch she recieved the operation (after the doctor did the camera in the stomach).

We're also in the middle of moving to a new house with a 2 year old and 5 month old... and shes about to go into nursing school, so things are a bit stressful.

Naturally I hear a story about a woman who had the sleeve ate a hoagie within days of the operation, her stomach ruptured and she died in an ambulance.... it was from her friend who works at a hospital. Perhaps it put me on edge.

She's stubborn is all, and we've both been around long enough to know that what someone should do and what is actually done waver on occasion. Ive simply read too many horror stories to let her take matters into her own hands in entirety.... in literally any other circumstance I'd tell her its your life do with it what you will..... but not on this subject (at least for the first couple of months). I appreciate the advice, I'll try to get the 24 hour number...

I am also the families cook so knowing what I can do to help with the diet is vital, initially she was just getting the sleeve, literally within 2 weeks of being notified shed be getting the duodenal switch she recieved the operation (after the doctor did the camera in the stomach).

We're also in the middle of moving to a new house with a 2 year old and 5 month old... and shes about to go into nursing school, so things are a bit stressful.

Naturally I hear a story about a woman who had the sleeve ate a hoagie within days of the operation, her stomach ruptured and she died in an ambulance.... it was from her friend who works at a hospital. Perhaps it put me on edge.

Omg that is terrible. I just had the sleeve 5 days ago, my NUT has me on clear liquids for the first week, the second week is full liquids 3rd week is purred 4th is soft and 5th is normal low carb diet. I hope this helps

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

I was on Clear Liquids for the first 3 days, then the next two weeks all liquids (mainly Protein shakes), the next two weeks purée food or mushy foods, then after that in morse ration most foods that aren't carbs and then eased my way in to meats such as chicken breast ect. She really needs to take it slow and trust the process.

Thank you for your time and information everyone . I have reviewed her instructions and hers are very close to yours amanda. Shes burnt out on Protein shakes but she's going to have to cope with it for now, do you have any particular choices/brands for the shakes to add variety (instead of strawberry chocolate and vanilla) shes been drinking them since pre op

Thank you for your time and information everyone . I have reviewed her instructions and hers are very close to yours amanda. Shes burnt out on Protein shakes but she's going to have to cope with it for now, do you have any particular choices/brands for the shakes to add variety (instead of strawberry chocolate and vanilla) shes been drinking them since pre op

Getting in enough Protein and Fluid is critical. What is her protein target? That is the most important number to keep track of. For me it is 100 grams of protein. She also needs at least 64 oz of Fluid. I could count the fluid from my Protein Shakes towards my fluid total.

What helped me early out were Protein Shakes and also having some savory options.

I liked:

Premier Protein

GNC lean 25 (orange cream is my favorite)

Syntrax nectar (fuzzy navel is my favorite)

ProtiDiet liquid beverage concentrates

powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Soup

ProtiDiet Tomato basil and creamy chicken Soups

V8

Bone broth

Herb tea

Decaf tea

Crystal light or Mio drops

WonderSlim dark chocolate protein pudding (I also like the lemon)

You can get lots of recipe ideas on the World According to Eggface blog.

In my personal opinion, if she wants to succeed in recovering from this surgery and in nursing school, she needs to grow up and take some responsibility for herself (let alone a family). Is she seeing a therapist? I highly recommend that she find one asap.

Also she wants to puree pizza, please tell me that is a bad idea

Yes, it is an awful idea.

Edited to add: see my above recommendation for a therapist.

@@husbandperry

Yeah that is a terrible idea.

Get her into counseling. She needs some real help with food addiction. You trying to manage her food is not going to be enough, she needs some serious help and to learn her own coping mechanisms.

Overeaters Anonymous also has some great resources. There are meeting lists, podcasts, etc. online at OA.org.

Edited: because autocorrect.

I understand your concern for her.

But hard truth coming at you here: She's GOT to take responsibility for her own eating. Nobody else (not even you) can actually do that for her.

Frankly, she's imagining things she can do now (pureeing pizza?!?!?!) that, had she been paying ANY attention to her post-op instructions she was given before surgery, she would NEVER imagine were appropriate.

These are not good signs.