Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Acid Reflux Wedge pillow

Has anyone used or heard of the Med Slant acid Reflux Pillow? It is very expensive, but I am desperate for a good night's sleep. I wake up 3 times a week choking for about 2 hours with acid reflux and I have had a upper GI and everything was normal. I am taking Prilosex every evening and I quite eating 2-3 hours before bedtime and I am still waking up. I had to get a fill today because I have been so hungry and I have only lost one pound in two months. I am afraid getting this fill may make it worse, but I am SO hungry. I can eat way more than I am supposed to. Anyone else have this problem?:help:Acid Reflux Wedge Pillow Frequently Asked Questions

Wisegrl,

I have chronic reflux since banding. My original surgeon placed my band too high and I have difficulty tolerating any fill. So Dr. Curry totally unfilled me in January. Since then I feel much better, but still wake sometimes with a sore throat. I take the Nexium they've prescribed me and do all the same things you're talking about.

I found a wedge pillow similar to the one you have linked here at Bed, Bath and Beyond for about $20 or $25. I've been sleeping on it much better than all the pillows and blankets I used to gather up to help position on.

Also, I realize you're having difficulty with hunger but really a fill will only make reflux worse. Take it from someone with experience. I'm surprised Dr. Curry will fill you knowing that you're having this problem at night. In my experience with him, he's very conscientious about things like that.

Helpful Hints.......I find that I get it worse if I overeat a little. So be very careful with your meals. I've tried aloe very juice. It doesn't seem to be very effective with this. I usually have a small glass of Water shortly before bed to flush out the pouch.....this does seem to do a little good but remember I also try never to eat after 7 P.M.

Good Luck from a fellow reflux sufferer,

I have not heard of the pillow, however i have heard that you can put a small piece of wood under the top posts of your bed and that elevates the head and can work wonders keeping the acid down.

I think the reason why Dr C. gave me a fill was because the upper GI was normal. This happens 80 percent of the time when I eat less than 2-3 hrs before I eat. Every now and then it happens no matter what. Also, he gave me a tiny eniee wieeene fill. I think he did it to keep me from whining! Anyway, I am going to try the pillow and see if it works.

I think the reason why Dr C. gave me a fill was because the upper GI was normal. This happens 80 percent of the time when I eat less than 2-3 hrs before I eat. Every now and then it happens no matter what. Also, he gave me a tiny eniee wieeene fill. I think he did it to keep me from whining! Anyway, I am going to try the pillow and see if it works.
(emphasis my own)

Did you mean it happens 80% of the time if you eat less than 2-3 hours before you go to bed?

If so, that isn't necessary reflux, it could well be a PB instead.

Maybe try not eating for at least three hours before bedtime and the last thing in your pouch should be Water. Think of it as rinsing out your pouch.

Use lots of pillows or do as others have suggested, put boards under the front of your bed so you are not sleeping flat.

Most of all, nothing by mouth for three hours before bedtime except for plain Water. Not juice, not Crystal Light, but plain water.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, what I meant is if don't stop eating 3 hrs before bedtime, 80 percent of the time I get the reflux. I did try the Water last night and I think I went to bed too soon after I drank it because I was regurgitating just the water all night long. Tonight I quit eating three hours before and stopped the water about an hr before. We will see. It may come down to an unfill. If I have to do it then I have to. It is just that with this fill, I am so full so soon. If I get anymore taken out I will gain and be hungry. I just wish I knew why this was happening. My band has not slipped. So I am not sure why I am getting this every night. There are a few times that no matter how long I wait to go to bed after eating I still get it. But that is not often.

I use a bed wedge pillow, not the one you linked, but similar. I used it for years prior to banding. I had a hiatal hernia, it was fixed during my band surgery, but has since herniated again. Both of my parents suffer with them as well.

The wedge I use is foam, and about 8" high...it does help. So does sleeping on my side as opposed to my back. I ordered this one from the Carol Wright catalog. I also have an inflatable one I take camping with me, we do a lot of motorcycle trips in which we camp out. I roll it up with our air mattress, and when we inflate the bed, we inflate my wedge! It is a normal part of my life now. I actually have to watch my DH, he will slide over and sleep on it as well! If he naps during the day without me---he always uses it! I have offered to order him one, he keeps saying no!

I would suggest going with one of the cheaper ones, to see if it gives you any relief. Mine is not as long as the one you linked, but it helps regardless! See if it is something you will be able to use, and get relief from, if so, and then if you want the longer one, go for it!

Kat

:faint:

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, what I meant is if don't stop eating 3 hrs before bedtime, 80 percent of the time I get the reflux. I did try the Water last night and I think I went to bed too soon after I drank it because I was regurgitating just the Water all night long. Tonight I quit eating three hours before and stopped the water about an hr before. We will see. It may come down to an unfill. If I have to do it then I have to. It is just that with this fill, I am so full so soon. If I get anymore taken out I will gain and be hungry. I just wish I knew why this was happening. My band has not slipped. So I am not sure why I am getting this every night. There are a few times that no matter how long I wait to go to bed after eating I still get it. But that is not often.

Keep in mind one big huge issue here. If you are too tight your band can erode. Then you'll have no band at all.

Better slow weight loss vs. fat gain.

I've had reflux/hiatus hernia pain for years. I was just banded 9 days ago, and he said he did a wee hernia repair, however I still have the same pain especially if i drink ( Am still on fluids) too much or too quickly. I have lots of gas. So far the only thing that helps is a concoction that the pharmacist mixed up by prescription for me , called a "pink lady" which is a mixture of that pink pepto bismol stuff and a topical swallowable anesthetic. It seems to help somewhat.... Here in Canada it was prescribed by my GP.

Ok, I am not too tight. I ordered that wedge pillow and it works! OMG, I have had 3 peaceful nights of sleep! No coughing or choking whatsoever. I did make sure that my stomach was empty though before going to bed. I quit eating around 6 instead of 7. Now if I could stop eating at 6 I know I will be ok, but realistically, it won't happen. I can't usually eat until 6:30 or 7 sometimes even later. But so far, so good. I have also cut out dairy products at night which I am starting to suspect is the culprit. I love the low carb ice cream, but I can definately live without it if that is part of the problem. I am going to keep experimenting, but I LOVE this pillow. It is more comfortable than a regular pillow and I sleep like a baby with it.