Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having a hard time sticking to my diet

@@Kimba Marie Angelina Wiggins,

I’m with you! Those first pounds on a pre-pre-op diet can be so difficult to lose! If you are having trouble sticking to the diet plan, I would first ask how much weight you need to lose. It seems like it would be really hard to get motivated if you’re not even sure what the requirements are.

Then I would look at the plan and see if there are ways to make it easier for yourself. For example, you can always tweak it to eat more meals that are smaller, or fewer meals that are bigger. If you find that you’re hungry or just feel like eating, ask your nutritionist if you can just add low-calorie vegetables like celery or lettuce to munch on so you don’t feel as tempted to go for off-plan foods.

I’d also try to specify to yourself exactly what’s keeping you from following the plan. Is it that other foods are tempting you more? Then maybe you can find healthy substitutes, like a pizza on half of a whole-grain English muffin instead of real pizza.

Good luck! Know that you’re doing this because you WANT to, and it’s for yourself – it’s not to please anyone else. Sometimes just remembering that you’re CHOOSING to do this makes it easier to actually do it.

I live with 5 other women in a boarding house, where I'm surrounded by tempting foods every day. I often eat when I'm not hungry and big portions. Slowing down when I eat has also been an issue which I am working on. I eat 5 smaller meals a day with 2 Snacks in between (fruits only). Since I've been doing this for the past 4 days, I've not overeaten and I drink more Water.

As for exercising, I do house chores in small blocks every day since going to the gym isn't an option for me right now. My nutritionist told me I needed to lose 10% of my body weight by my last weigh-in, which is August 18th. I've been working with my psychiatrist to work through my emotional issues and I'm doing well in the mental health area.

I know that being sleeved will change my eating habits permanently. I'm glad I'm getting surgery now...because I was so uneducated about bariatric surgery nearly 2 years ago and in a bad place mentally.

Edited by Kimba Marie Angelina Wiggins

I weighed myself earlier today....quite disappointing. I didn't even lose 3 lbs since my 1st nutritionist visit (not surprised). Soon I'll be moving into a much more stable living situation around people who respect my eating habits. I still have 8 days until I see my nutritionist again for my 2nd visit. I've started to clean up my diet and hopefully by 7/12 I'll know if my efforts paid off.