Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to forum - What's the difference???

Thanks Fort Bend. It's really interesting to read how some people's "mind set" changes after being banded. Like so many overweight people, I eat when I am bored and also to feel like I accomplished something (that last statement is a whole other therapy session). More then anything, it's fear that is controlling my thoughts right now. I'm afraid the band will harm my body, I'm afraid the band won't work at all (therefore confirming my failure mind set), I'm afraid that the band will work, and I won't be able to handle the person I'll become. Will I be able to handle the attention, the compliments, etc? I'm guessing now's a good time the schedule my next appt. with the shrink...Sheesh! Anyway, everyone's perspective here has been really helpful and much appreciated.

I would like to add one more thought Angel. My doctor told me that I would have the benefit of feeling less hungry overall just from the band and that science could not totally explain why. I do still have my messed up mind that tells me to snack sometimes just out of boredom, but I do have to say that when I feel hungry I want to eat but do not picture a whole platter of food to wolf down like I used to. Also, I have noticed that if I get busy at work and cannot eat lunch when I usually do I can be more patient about it and not feel like I am going to die if I don't eat. I am greatful to my band for this!

One thing I have noticed in my case is that if I have the smallest fill, not enough for actual restriction but just to compress that nerve in my stomach, that kills my hunger. At least that's my doc's explanation and it seems to work. If my hunger kicks in again I get a teeny tiny fill. Again, not enough to make a difference for restriction but enough to compress that nerve for a bit I don't get hungry much to begin with. Then I just battle head hunger. But life is sooooo much easier in my case when I'm not battling stomach hunger AND head hunger.

Thanks Fort Bend. It's really interesting to read how some people's "mind set" changes after being banded. Like so many overweight people, I eat when I am bored and also to feel like I accomplished something (that last statement is a whole other therapy session). More then anything, it's fear that is controlling my thoughts right now. I'm afraid the band will harm my body, I'm afraid the band won't work at all (therefore confirming my failure mind set), I'm afraid that the band will work, and I won't be able to handle the person I'll become. Will I be able to handle the attention, the compliments, etc? I'm guessing now's a good time the schedule my next appt. with the shrink...Sheesh! Anyway, everyone's perspective here has been really helpful and much appreciated.

FWIW, what you are experiencing is what many (most? all?) of us experience.

My suggestion, again... FWIW, is to really start reading. Learn every bloody thing you can about the band, how it works, how it affects various people, the mind games, the head hunger, the works. Read this forum EVERY single day. Also, equally important is to read the science behind weight loss and obesity issues. There are a gazillion studies going on right now and it seems like science is able to identify many issues but they don't quite know what to do to fix those issues. I'm talking the physiology behind obesity, the chemical changes, chemical imbalances, etc. It tends to put a whole new twist to being fat.

I'm not saying it is not our fault we are fat, we ARE the ones calling the shots about what we put in our mouth. But I also believe there are biological and chemical issues we deal with that naturally skinny people do not deal with. I think we spend so much time focused on what failures we are and we can't control something as simple as a lousy diet. We tend to hyperfocus on our failures instead of focusing on what we do to fix the problem. We can beat ourselves up and most of us do! But that isn't very productive and doesn't help weight loss issues much.

Here is a good starting place for obesity related science issues:

Obesity News & Weight Loss News & Fitness News from Medical News Today

Something else for you to learn about, get as much info as you can and again... this is a starting point for you:

http://www.lapsf.com/weight-loss-surgeries.html

You should always know your BMI:

Barix Clinics - Is Surgery Right For You - BMI Calculator

Read this entire site, it's a fantastic source of info for newbies and old time bandsters:

Tracy's FAQ

The surgical technique for placing the band:

LAP-BAND: Surgery Technique

I forget but I think this is a decent enough link... but I'm not positive. Might be worth it to check it out:

Calories Per Day Calculator - Basal Metabolic Rate

Myth of starvation mode:

http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=35501&sc=801

Interesting reads:

WeightWatchers.com - Weight-Loss Plateaus - Visitor

WeightWatchers.com - Calories, Metabolism and Body Weight - Visitor

WeightWatchers.com - Increasing Metabolism - Visitor