Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

You have not runined you band. I have not been band yet but will be in October. When I meet with my surgeon he said that the sooner you start on solids the better you are. He usually starts his patient on solids at 3 weeks. Why do you feel like a failure?

Lottie,

i agree with you that she is not a failure, but you are not her doctor. you do not KNOW for sure that she has not ruined her band. HER doctor said no solids for 4 weeks. she needs to follow what HER doctor suggested, not your doctor.

every doctor is different and tells their patients what they want them to follow.

this time is for healing. not for losing weight, not for losing inches, but anchoring that band into place.

HSH,

please start following your surgeon's guidelines - especially if eating solids hurts you.

you can do this! good luck.

All,

I get my first fill next week. I have been feeling pretty good and have been trying really really hard to stay on soft foods, when I do eat solids, I chew like there is no tomorrow, I have decided to be perfectly honest with my doctor on Wednesday when I go to get my fill. I hope that I have not ruined my band, but if I have, then that is something that I will have to deal with. I will keep you posted on my progress. I also made an appointment with a therapist that specializes in post weightloss surgery issues. I figured that might help me. In addition, this sight makes for a pretty strong support system. I will keep you guys posted on the outcome.

Hala

All,

Just wanted to update you all with my staus. I went to the doctors this morning and my band is fine. The nutritionist actually encoraged eating solids as long as I chewed really well...

I had my first fill of 1.3CCs. I need to be on liquids for 2 days (anyone know why?)

I hope that this fill gives me a feeling of satiety! but I am back on track and feeling good..

I lost 4 more lbs despite being able to eat!

Thank you all for your support!

Good Job, Hala!!

Hey my dear...don't beat up on yourself...remember you are no super being...take it from a past veteren binge eater...don't beat up on yourself. Yes the surgery is a last resort but yes you are human and will make mistakes. I was in your shoes a week after surgery thinking oh my god what did I just do to myself and why the hell did I pay $16 grand to do it! lol...trust me I was a wreck...but you know what...it gets better...I thank GOD I did this surgery. Don't worry what you are going through is normal. Don't reverse the surgery. Keep at it and don't give up on yourself. One year from now you will be amazed with your self!

Your probably on liquids after the fill to give your stomach time to adjust to the tightning of the band.

It is a muscle that is restricted. you dont want to hurt it and do any damage to that muscle.

Hi there!

Just because you aren't perfect doesn't mean you're a failure! If you were perfect, you'd be really annoying!

The best advice I can give is to pull out any information you've gotten from your doctor about what to eat and reread it. Focus your energy on following the directions exactly because the band will work wonders for you if you let it!

My doctor said to always eat your Protein first, then green vegetables. The Protein will make you feel full longer. You need at least 60 grams of protein per day. Drink 64 ounces of Water inbetween to stay hydrated. I was advised to eat only mushy foods until week 6 so the stitches would heal well. Even now, more than 6 months out, I eat protein first, then veggies. I stop drinking fluids 30 minutes before eating and don't drink until 30-45 minutes after eating.

If you follow the guidelines, you are going to lose weight, so pull yourself up by your bootstraps and get the job done! If I can do this, you can, too!

Go for it!

I am only 6 days post op. Yesterday I had no energy at all and was freakin' out. My doc said Clear Liquids for the first week. week2 can start non=clear liquids. I called the doc's office. Although I was only 5 days post-op, they said to start on week2 foods. The nurse told me that they over-exagerate the diet because they don't want anybody to slip up... it's a cusion in case somebody "cheats". If you feel like you can eat solids, by all means.... go for it! You're just one step ahead of the gang. Remember, food is our friend. We need food, just not as much as we think. Food is Fuel. Eating solids is a positive thing, and if you are already at that stage it sounds like your doctor did an ABFAB job on your surgery.

Congratulations!

You have not runined you band. I have not been band yet but will be in October. When I meet with my surgeon he said that the sooner you start on solids the better you are. He usually starts his patient on solids at 3 weeks...
I am three weeks post op and I feel I can eat just about anything, as long as I chew properly. You need to hang in there and keep eating good foods. When you get a couple of fills, you will feel restriction. The decision to get banded is a big one, and a positive one; dont feel bad that you are eating solids, because I would say a vast majority are doing the same - early! Talk to your doctor about it and remember it's your body and only you know your hunger pains.
I am only 6 days post op. Yesterday I had no energy at all and was freakin' out. My doc said Clear Liquids for the first week. week2 can start non=clear liquids. I called the doc's office. Although I was only 5 days post-op, they said to start on week2 foods. The nurse told me that they over-exagerate the diet because they don't want anybody to slip up... it's a cusion in case somebody "cheats". If you feel like you can eat solids, by all means.... go for it! You're just one step ahead of the gang. Remember, food is our friend. We need food, just not as much as we think. Food is Fuel. Eating solids is a positive thing, and if you are already at that stage it sounds like your doctor did an ABFAB job on your surgery.

Congratulations!

Well all, HSH lost her band. Don't know if it had anything to do with eating early, I posted asking her if the surgeon addressed that on her loss of band thread. In any case, it's sad that she had a slip and lost her band. I guess it never really worked well for her from the beginning, but the question with that is why. Was it because she ate early? Was it surgeon's technique? Who knows? But though me may not know 100% for sure if eating early contributed to the loss of her band, it remains a possibility.

So to all of you who I quoted that said "don't worry about it" or "eating solids is a positive thing" maybe you want to rethink your advice.

I hope you don't have slips, but if you do, then maybe, just maybe it might be caused (at least in part) by your post-op diet...

Huh. Wow. I wasn't around for this post, but it's very interesting. Thanks, faithmd.

Yes you are right. It was never for me. My body started developing scar tissue trying to protect itself from the foreign body. I am so much happier with the band out. If you read my post (the link above) you will know my experience with the band.

I have contined to loose weight since my band removal and am feeling great. I can eat salads and fruit. Which is also FABULOUS!

In any event, I joined the post for support, being made an "example" of was not my plan, and my inbox has been jammed with negative emails from several people. I have made it such that the emails I receive from this site go to my junk folder, but for some reason, it did not take.

I am hapy to share my experience with anyone who wants to hear it and am happy to answer any questions. But I kindly ask you to refrain from judging me or being nasty.

Oh, and by the way, thank you for your concern. My surgery went very well and I recovered in 1 day.

I did the same thing! don't worry you will be fine, just eat the right foods stay away from all those foods that first got you were your at. I was banded on November 13th and have not had a fill yet. My first week to tell you the truth I was so hungry that I wanted it out but! I stuck to the diet and now I feel a lot better. I eat because I can BUT! I try to eat healthy. You will be fine........