Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

insulin dependant diabetic from the age of 5 years old HELP

I have been a diabetic for most of my life

My whole family is overweight so 8 yeras ago when I became overweight and my sugar controll went crazy I knew I had to make a change

Afetr many diets and no weight loss my Diabetic doc oked teh lap band.

I am two months post op and overall doing ok

I healed great considering how I normally heal due to me being a diabetic.

BUT

I am having a horriable time with running ketones I just had my first fill two weeks ago and the dietian whats me on a max of 1000 cal per day I am normally around 800-900 cal.

The doc says it is normal to run ketones because of burning fat But I feel horriable has anyone else had this same thing being a type one diabetic?

Any ideas of how I can keep my cal down still loose the weight and not feel horriable like I am?

I have lost 47lbs from the two week pre op diet until now so in about 2 and a half months

I am just looking for any thoughts about this .

I would not do anything different I am feeling lots better with the weight being gone.

Thank you

What's your carb intake?? I don't think you want to be on a low carb diet--even though many WLS patients follow one after surgery. Increasing your carbs should help you with the ketones.

my carbs are extremely low I try to take more carbs but than I do not get my 60-80 protien per day

But the next day or so I am going to keep track of the grams of carbs and see if that helps.

Jack I am not in ketoacidosis yet

My doc told me that it is normal to run some ketones due to burning fat

But I am feeling bad and having a hard time breathing and feeling just plain whipped.

Any ideas how long this will last or if this is even "normal"?

Years ago I did starve myself went days/weeks withour eating and I was always in the hosptal with ketoacidosis.

I guess this is what I am afraid of I have a family now and I can not go sit in the hospital for days - back then I was able to get out of school:)

I am eating and drinking lots so I am not starving myself for sure I range from 800 cal to 900 cal per day

That should be enough to stay out of ketoacidosis.

Jack I am not in ketoacidosis yet

My doc told me that it is normal to run some ketones due to burning fat

But I am feeling bad and having a hard time breathing and feeling just plain whipped.

Any ideas how long this will last or if this is even "normal"?

Years ago I did starve myself went days/weeks withour eating and I was always in the hosptal with ketoacidosis.

I guess this is what I am afraid of I have a family now and I can not go sit in the hospital for days - back then I was able to get out of school:)

I am eating and drinking lots so I am not starving myself for sure I range from 800 cal to 900 cal per day

That should be enough to stay out of ketoacidosis.

You might want to talk to your doc about adding TUMS to your diet. Yep, plain old Calcium Carbonate, two regular strength TUMS twice daily for 10 out of every 30 days.

It balances out the acids caused by burning fat/creating keytones. It really does make you feel better.

I really think I am eating half way healthy

I daily meals are like this

Pure protien bar

3oz of ham and cheese or a healthy choice or smart one

pure protien bar

4oz of turkey and cheese and veggie

I am not getting a big varity of food in but it is all high in protien

my carbs yesterday was 67g I would think that would be enough

How I feel comes and goes sience my fill two weeks ago I have felt more crappy than before. my fill.

I wish I could go in to see my doc but right now I can only talk over the phone and not staight to him I leave a message with a nurse and they talk to the doc and they call me back NOT the best idea of communacation.

I already take tums everyday due to heart burn that I have always had.

I am hoping once I loose more weight that will go away

I am not getting a big varity of food in but it is all high in protien

my carbs yesterday was 67g I would think that would be enough

67 is low. See if you can add 10 carbs per day and see if that helps. I don't see much Fiber at all in your diet, so maybe add a piece of fruit or some Beans (carbs+protein). I vaguely recall reading that 100 g/day was needed to avoid ketosis... but I would just add gradually and see how you feel. So next week, try eating 75 g/day and see how you feel... if not better, up it to 80 g the following week, etc.

Does your physician's practice have a nutritionist? If so, why not consult with him/her?