Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Loose skin versus body fat

I am interested in having my body fat tested via a Dexa scan or Bod Pod. I've never done either so please pardon the question as the answer may seem obvious to some. I am wondering how excess skin is read by those tests. Do these machines calculate it in as fat mass or can they discern it as extra skin? I have lost over 100 pounds and I have bat wing arms and other hanging loose bits, I want to know how much is fat versus skin.

I have been curious about this too

@@erp

The machines don't determine skin. They determine bone density, lean mass, and fat. When you get your results for each zone on your body, you can tell where the fat is.

I am going to scan a page my last DEXA and post it on my DEXA Scan thread.

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/368237-my-rmr-test-dexa-scan-results-wls-works-better-than-biggest-loser/

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

There was a question of DXA and loose skin, does it count as fat or lean? My son who is studying this at OU says a professional 12 point body clamp test would be more accurate for me than DXA. The DXA is great at measuring bone density, but could really be inaccurate with loose skin since it is measuring moisture content.

I dunno but I had a DEXA scan done when I was a year out at goal but lots of extra skin. It had me at 17% body fat. I have a lot of muscle but I can't imagine measuring that low if it were measuring my extra skin (this was before plastics) as fat.

@@jess9395 that's encouraging to hear. DXA may factor excess skin as lean mass as opposed to fat mass or at least be relatively insignificant in the overall results.

I booked a Bod Pod appt for next Friday- send low body fat vibes my way. [emoji6]

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BetterLeah

Woohoo! I have 7 more days till surgery, So far I am already down a total of 20lbs since I started this journey. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NeonRaven8919

Well done! I'm 9 days away from surgery! Keep us updated!

• Ladiva04

Hello,
      I had my surgery on the 25th of June of this year. Starting off at 117 kilos.😒
      · 1 reply
      1. NeonRaven8919

Congrats on the surgery!

• Sandra Austin Tx

I’m 6 days post op as of today. I had the gastric bypass 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • RacMag  »  bhogue925

Hi, I’m new here. I’m currently on the liver shrinking diet. So far so good, but I have to say I haven’t found a protein shake I like. Anyone have any suggestions please? My surgery date is September 17th. 
      · 2 replies
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Fairlife Core are by far the best. They taste just as they are - chocolate milk. You can either get the 26 grams or the 42 grams (harder to find and more expensive). For straight protein look at Bulksuppliments.com ..they have really good whey proteins and offer auto ship plus they test for purity. No taste or smell...

2. BlondePatriotInCDA

Fairlife has strawberry, vanilla and of course chocolate. No more calories than other protein drinks. Stay away from Premiere, they're dealing with lawsuits due to not being honest about protein content.

• Doctor-Links

HGH For Sale
      hgh for sale at our online pharmacy

Human growth hormone (HGH) is a small protein which is made in part of the brain called the pituitary gland. It travels in your bloodstream all over your body to make your body grow.
      HGH is very important in the body. It is needed for children to grow normally. It helps make sure there is enough muscle and fat in the body. It keeps our bones healthy.
      Buy Rybelsus online, Rybelsus tablets
      You can order for wegovy at our online pharmacy
      Check for the prices of 0.25mg, 0.5mg and 1mg at our online pharmacy and buy ozempic.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches