Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise Pre-Sleeve

Hello- I am wondering about how much exercise you all were doing pre-sleeve. I have been inactive for quite a bit and while I do know that exercise is crucial to success, I am also a bit depressed with no energy to move and very little desire to go out aside from necessity (work, errands).

Before the lectures begin I know that exercise will help with the depression.

I will be having a sleeve done in approx a month and i have a lower bmi to start out with, which will make the weight loss a bit harder from what I understand.

How hard did you all exercise before surgery?

If I do resistance/callisthenics from the privacy of my apt, will that help after surgery? Or is it all about the cardio? I assume every little bit helps...

Thanks for taking the time to respond and weigh in (get it hurhurhur).

I started by doing the 21 day fix program before I looked into VSG. I had a BMI of 42, the videos helped me more than the actual Portion Control containers did (I prefer to weigh my food instead). Anyways, theres a modified version of the workouts in the videos which I followed, and it was really hard, but actually fun! And since the videos are only like 20-30 mins, they were easy to fit into my daily schedule. I am not a 21 day fix coach or anything, nor do I still do the workout videos, or the containers, but I do recommend using them to start off with!

You can get the videos online, instead of from a 21 day fix person and it's probably cheaper. I am going to have surgery in about 2 months, and now that Ive lost about 8 lbs from the 21 day fix, and my BMI is down to 40, it's made it easier to go walking with a friend, or even to get on my treadmill. Plus I am following my surgeon's meal plan, so thats helped me feel awesome and now I have so much energy. I'm now down 30 lbs since January and it all started with a workout video.

Anyways, if you're more comfortable working out at home (like I was), I say a few videos are the way to start! Some low impact workouts that can ease you into exercise.

Best of luck! I know how hard it is to start working out especially when your already exhausted! Like my daddy always told me (though I didn't always listen) "A body in motion, tends to stay in motion, and a body at rest, tends to stay at rest!" P.s. I'm not sure who the original person is who created that quote was, obviously it wasn't my father. Lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

Edited by CNOEL3

@@ami23 I do very little exercise pre-op. Both cardio and strength training is important post-op. You can do any exercise pre-op (i.e. walking) and it's better than nothing. Post-op - walking is critical immediately after surgery and adding more exercise a few weeks out.