Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Learning the schedule of eating

Hello all,

I'm very new to this forum and am currently going through my pre-op requirements for the gastric bypass surgery. While I'm pretty comfortable with the types of food to eat, I am struggling with how to manage a schedule of eating and of course, the portions. I am thinking about pre-packing Protein sources for the "snack" part of the day and to get containers to measure the right portion.

However, the schedule for eating every 2-3 hours is daunting and the post-op schedule looks even more challenging. Would appreciate any thoughts about this specific issue. . .thanks!

Robin W.

The toughest part post op is managing all of your fluids and Protein. This is mostly because you could honestly care less about eating or drinking anything. You are simply not hungry!

In the first few weeks/months following surgery the most critical thing is Water and Protein. WLS patients get into trouble when they are unable or don't understand how important this is to not only weight loss but staying healthy through the weight loss phase.

I used simple tricks to help me through. I would use cups that measured my fluids so I really knew exactly what I was consuming. I also used Myfitnesspal to track exactly what I consumed including my liquids.

I learned very quickly to literally hold my Water cup in my hand constantly. I would sip sip sip every few minutes until I got to the minimum water. I really did get to the point where I would be well hydrated first thing in the am which then helped get me to a full 64oz by 6 or 7pm.

Of course my first two weeks post surgery I really struggled thinking I had to eat and drink everything on my surgeons post op diet only to learn that in the first month it is hardly possible. They would simply tell me to do the best that I could. So that is what I did. By 8 weeks post op I was finally able to get all of my fluids and protein in.

Measuring and tracking is important but in the beginning you likely won't come close to eating and drinking absolutely everything on that menu. I ended up with tons of little containers of food like turkey or chicken purees that I never even used because I simply did not tolerate it during the purée stage. I learned to simply measure as I needed it.

I remember a container of yogurt lasting me 4 or 5 days. LOL. I simply could not eat much at all.

Setting timers also will help you.

The three most important daily requirements after RNY gastric bypass surgery are: fluids, Protein and Vitamins. food is not primary. You body will convert your stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight. So after surgery concentrate on these 3 basics. After surgery your taste buds may change and Protein shakes that you find acceptable now may taste awful after surgery. So be willing to experiment. You may lose your ability to swallow even medium size pills and Vitamin. So you might purchase a pill splitter and pill crusher.

The following article describes my experience after RNY surgery. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

Thank you for sharing your article, James . . .most helpful and informative.