Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you pick a GOAL weight???

At none of the meetings or doctors/nurses visits or Nutrionist visits has anyone talked about a Goal Weight...I was just wondering if people could tell me how they are picking their goal weight. Is it comfort? Where the band takes you? Nutritionist? PCP? BMI? I don't know where to start. The goal on my ticker is the high end of the healthy BMI for my height. But 125 lbs I feel like I would look anorexic at that weight. I haven't been that weight since maybe junior high. I want to be healthy but I want to be able to have some meat on my bones. I use to be hot all the time now I'm ALWAYS freezing! I can't imagine being 125 lbs I'd have no insulation!

Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Has to do with your age also. I am 55. My doctor asked me what I thought it should be and I said 145 and he said he wanted me down to 160.....well, I'm 5'3" and that is just too much for me. That puts my bmi into the obese category and I would have to disagree. I arbitrarily dropped it to 150, but I am going to attempt to break the 40's if I can.

I am 5'6 and I am not sure what weight I should be at. But I was down to 185 and am now up to 200 because I had to get my fill taken out due to some throat problems. But I have had it replaced since then. I have not lost the weight that I gained yet. But I think I am actually comfortable here. I know it sounds weird but I feel I look better now. My skin on my face and arms is a lot tighter now. So I think that for me it is just how I feel. I would like to lose about 5 pounds so my pants are not so tight. But I will be happy staying around 190. My Dr seems happy with this to. I guess going from 309 before surgery to 190 is not so bad.

Not having been overweight ALL my life, I could pick a healthy weight I know I've held for long times, 154lb at 5ft 10.

I also perhaps dont have that weird "but I'll be skeletal" at that weight idea. You really most probably WONT. Its a healthy weight for your height for a reason.

But everyone has different body types - that's why our healthy weight range is a range, for me its 63 to 79kg. That's a big range. I know that I'm pudgy at 79kg and I've never weighed 63 as an adult, but I know from experience that 70 (154lb) is about right, not too fat, not too skinny. Some people have more muscle than others and can weigh a lot more without becoming "fat", whereas I tend to have a leaner body type and have way too much fat at the high end of my healthy weight range.

I'd say pick a goal that seems achievable, that may be higher, and get there first, when your head catches up with your body, you will no doubt realise that you really wont be skeletal when you're at a healthy weight for your height. But really weight is irrelevant, its a healthy body composition you're aiming for.

At none of the meetings or doctors/nurses visits or Nutrionist visits has anyone talked about a Goal Weight...I was just wondering if people could tell me how they are picking their goal weight. Is it comfort? Where the band takes you? Nutritionist? PCP? BMI? I don't know where to start. The goal on my ticker is the high end of the healthy BMI for my height. But 125 lbs I feel like I would look anorexic at that weight. I haven't been that weight since maybe junior high. I want to be healthy but I want to be able to have some meat on my bones. I use to be hot all the time now I'm ALWAYS freezing! I can't imagine being 125 lbs I'd have no insulation!

Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Hi, I use a goal size of men's 38-inch slacks and a men's XL shirt.

I don't care what the scale says as long as I fit in those clothes.

I am 5'6 and I am not sure what weight I should be at. But I was down to 185 and am now up to 200 because I had to get my fill taken out due to some throat problems. But I have had it replaced since then. I have not lost the weight that I gained yet. But I think I am actually comfortable here. I know it sounds weird but I feel I look better now. My skin on my face and arms is a lot tighter now. So I think that for me it is just how I feel. I would like to lose about 5 pounds so my pants are not so tight. But I will be happy staying around 190. My Dr seems happy with this to. I guess going from 309 before surgery to 190 is not so bad.

I don't think that sounds weird. I'm about the same size you were when you started and I have the same goal. (I'm a touch shorter)

I'll just be happy to be under 200 - we'll see when I get there :heh:

My doctor said he's comfortable with that but thinks 160 is a better goal.

I picked an initial goal of 150. As I got closer to that goal, I realized there was still plenty of room for additional weight loss. Muscle content also has a lot to do with ideal weight. I was around 150 lbs in HS, but being a 3 sport athlete and having a "younger" body, helped me to look good at that weight.

Now at 33 (yes, I still know that's young), 150 lbs does not look the same as it once did on me. I have hit the gym very regularly since surgery, but it can only reverse time so much I guess.

I have set a new goal of 135 lbs and will assess whether or not it is a comfortable weight when I get there! (Have to happily take a 9 month Detour right now though:))

Hi, I use a goal size of men's 38-inch slacks and a men's XL shirt.

I don't care what the scale says as long as I fit in those clothes.

That sounds like a very wise way of approaching it!

I know I was a size 4 and weighed 145-150 when I got married. Smaller than you might expect at that weight, but very fit -- so quite dense muscle-wise. I'm 5' 5".

I'd like to be a size 9/10 now, so, add on 30 years, allow for excess skin left over and poor muscle tone, I figure I'd have to be at least 150 to reach that size.

But, don't hold me too that -- depends on how much I learn to like exercise again and if I get that tummy tuck!

Plain and simple I am picking it as a size. I would love to be a size 14/16. I currently am in a size 18. I think I can hit that with 20-30 more lbs. Wish me luck!

Thank you everyone for your replies! It's been very helpful. I think maybe I will shoot for a clothing size too...that seems more obtainable that way and not so fixed on the weight! :clap2:

Thanks again!

I picked the high end of a normal BMI as my first goal. When I got there, I wanted the middle of a normal BMI, and I ended up at the lower end of a healthy BMI.