Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all! I am six months post surgery, and 82 lbs lighter! I am wondering if anyone is losing more hair than normal. It's very concerning! Is this normal, will it slow down, will it grow back? Any information about this would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using the BariatricPal App

8 months post op, down 98 pounds. I get all my Protein in ...always have and yes I'm still losing hair. They say it will grow back and I sure hope so. I lost a large amount a few years ago taking Topmax and it never came back after that. It's depressing....

Can you up your Protein? Tried Biotin? I think it's pretty normal, but from what I've read on here and heard at my local support group, upping your Protein really helps. I'm taking Biotin as hopefully a prevention. :)

I am two years post op and still lose some hair in the shower. Mine started falling out about month nine. I think mine was just the luck of the draw. I have always gotten my Protein in, Vitamin levels have always been normal. My hair also had a lot of breakage and dryness.

Two things that helped my hair tremendously was taking powdered collagen added to my Water and I started drinking bamboo tea which is high in silica. These two things slowed my Hair loss way down and fixed the dryness and breakage. My texture is back to normal.

Bioten never helped me. I even started taking it pre op. Hair grew like crazy everywhere but my head. LOL.

Good luck most people's hair eventually grows back and gets back to normal!!

8 months post op, down 98 pounds. I get all my Protein in ...always have and yes I'm still losing hair. They say it will grow back and I sure hope so. I lost a large amount a few years ago taking Topmax and it never came back after that. It's depressing....

This is my concern also. I have a month before surgery and am nervous about the Hair loss. I also took Topamax and lost half my hair and it never came back. Went on the HCG diet, lost a lot of hair again, and only some came back.

I'm afraid I'm going to end up bald.

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Anthrogeeke

I began losing hair at the four month mark, but it wasn't drastic. I added GENEPRO to my morning coffee as a way of easily sliding in more Protein, and that seemed to help a bit. I haven't taken any Biotin because of fears it could cause a breakout. I also tried collagen after reading about it on here, though it was at the 7 month mark when Hair loss had slowed down considerably so I can't really gauge its benefit.

The main thing that helped me was to stop washing my hair every day. I started washing it every other day, or even every third day. I'd wear a shower cap and then would sprinkle some dry Shampoo in my hair to refreshen it up. I like Lush's the best, but there are several brands that have them. I also think I benefitted from slowing down my weight loss a little. I went on a lengthy vacation at Christmas and wasn't being as mindful about tracking my eating. I didn't gain any weight, but also didn't lose any during that time either. I noticed that my hair loss slowed considerably. I started losing weight again in the new year, but at a slower pace. I've still met my goals, and my hair loss has stayed minimal.

Edited by Clementine Sky

I was sleeved 15 months ago, and I experienced some Hair loss - not visible Patches, but I could tell it was lots thinner. I've always gotten my 60 + grams of Protein and I've always taken Biotin along with a Multivitamin. About 3-4 months ago, I noticed a lot of new Hair growth in the areas that were thin. Now I have new hairs sprouting up all over my head - sometimes my part looks like a porcupine!!! So it does get better!!

Let me tell you this is a great fear for me. I have read watched and read some more. There will be no one taking or doing more to prevent this than me I think. Hoping my Protein intake can stay high post op. Watch clusie on YouTube about hair loss.

I just got Phyto hair serum that is tailored to Hair loss from diet weight loss or stress. I got the pur D'or will be getting additional keratin treatments and silk cap. I already take collagen and Biotin and will continue.