Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do I fit the bill

This is my first post and first time on the forum and I am looking for a little help. I would like to say thank you for looking and providing help an or info/feedback. Do I fit the bill for this process of lap band?

Weight: 290

Hieght: 6'2"

BMI 37.4

Medical conditions: Diabetes, sleep Apnea and High BP

I have read a few things .... some say 40+ bmi for over 5 years come say 30+ with medical conditions....

Well I have been heavy since I was a teen (great when I played football ;)) and done everything from working out for hours a day, low fat diets, high cars, no meat you name it .... pills, fads everything .....

I still cant get down to what my doctors tell me of 187ish ... I feel I will be skin and bones but if that is where I need to be then I will shoot for the moon ....

thank you all again,

Robert

If you are asking whether or not you will be eligible and approved for LB, it would depend upon what your insurance company guidelines are and/or what your chosen surgeon's criteria are. They all seem to have different cut-offs. The co-morbidities and long-term obesity will definitely help with the approval, though. Many insurance companies require 6 consecutive months of a documented, doctor-supervised weight loss program.

I have read a few things .... some say 40+ bmi for over 5 years come say 30+ with medical conditions....

These are either/or situations and you would seem to fit the latter. According to the standards of the American Medical Association, those falling into either of these categories ARE medically qualified for bariatric surgery. So you're in there.

Whether your insurance carrier will cover the treatment is a whole other story. But medically, you do indeed fit the bill.

thank you all for your feedback. I guess I wil need to see if UHC will cover it on Monday. I wonder why Family doctors never seem to suggest this? Would they rather have sick clients to pay their bills?

HAHAHAHA...I was reading your stat and thinking, damn, you're a BIG GIRL! then I saw "Robert"....whew. My ex was 6'1" and weighed in about 225-245 and he was FAT. 6'2" in my mind isn't all that tall to be lugging around 290 on a frame. If you carry it in your stomach I would definitely consider WLS...since that's the most dangerous area to carry your extra fat. Your co-morbidities sure sound like they put you in the ballpark. Good luck and keep us informed.

Hello, rdaggett,

I'm 63, and tried every weight loss program and failed miserably at all of them.

My BMI is 42, and my PCP suggested Lap Band as an option.

You're still young. I wasted a lot of years YO-YO dieting, which is damn hard on the body. I have the same problems you have, minus the diabetes, add high cholesterol,

I am an emotional-stress eater, but realistically, I'm a recreational eater, too.

You've got to know your 'stress buttons' and get them under control.

Lap Band is not a 'Quick-fix' but it involves a lifetime lifestyle change.

I've decided that this procedure is a lifesaver for me.

I want to see my grandchildren grow up.

My best wishes and prayers are with you in your Quest for success.