Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded late March. I feel my weight loss has been very slow, about 16 lbs. I eat all the right foods during the day but by 9:00 old habits kick in & I find myself in the kitchen even though I'm not hungry. I don't always eat but it's a habit that I have yet to break. I read every sheet the Dr gave me before & after surgery & read so much info on the net my head was spinning. I made the asmption once I had the surgery it would be so easy to lose weight & it would just fall off. Well, tonight I took a sledge hammer to that lying ( ) scale!

So here's my issue. I've struggled with depession/anxiety all my life. It started to get severe a few yeas ago & it's taken control of my life once again. I take 2 different anti depressants & 1 pill for anxiety. i thought having the surgery would help because who could be unhappy if their skinny & pretty. i was soooo wrong. The mental aspect of the surgery never occured to me. I've tried therapy a few years ago when I started cutting but the only thing I got out of it was more medication.

Is anyone else having the same issue? Im looking for real solutions from people that truly know what I am going through. I'm afraid I'm not losing much weight & how in the world do I make this band work for me? I started at 196 and currently am about 180. Does anyone think maybe I'm not losing very quickly because I only need to lose about 60 pounds? I had the surgery to get excess weight off due to a back injury. I had a spinal fusion in 2015 (screws & rods in my spine).

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my ASUS MeMO Pad 7 using the BariatricPal App

You seem to have gone in with misconceptions all around. Were you self-pay and, therefore, exempt from a psych evaluation? If so, that's too bad, but you can pull it all back from the brink.

I don't know whether a 60-pound goal is relevant to the rate at which you've lost so far. What I do recognize is your saying that you slip into night eating. For that and for so much other emotional-psychological stuff that you have going on, you might want to see a CBT therapist. A reputable book -- if one uses it -- is The Beck Diet Solution, by Judith S. Beck, PhD, a known CB practitioner and teacher. She has a later book with a similar title, but it's not the one to get (it includes a food plan instead of solid guidance, and the food plan probably doesn't work with a band anyway). Read from page one rather than skipping around. Follow the exercises and make up the cards as you get to them.

Attending your bariatric practice's support group is also a good idea. If a group isn't offered, others in your area will more than likely welcome you. A group provides two opportunities. It puts more structure into your week and talking with people face to face is great. You may even develop a new friendship or two.

Also make an appointment to discuss whether you need an adjustment!

Are you exercising? That will help with the weight loss as well as they depression/anxiety.

@@BL.banded.3 Emotional/Mindless eating is so difficult and can really derail your weight loss efforts! I am pre-op sleeve surgery but I went to therapy for this issue and have found that it helped tremendously! I went to the psychologist that is part of my Bariatric Team - she was helping me with eating issues and how to manage post-op - she wasn't dealing with my depression/anxiety (on meds for those through my PCP). I would strongly recommend counseling with someone who has experience in bariatric surgery. Weight does come off slowly with lapband but if you are not following your plan (night eating) - then this will cause it to be even slower (or stop completely). As your topic said -you can't band the brain!

Be sure to track everything you eat. Stick to your plan - enough Protein and fluids and stay away from slider foods and simple carbs. Make sure to have healthy alternatives available at all times - it's much better to grab a sugar free popsicle or some cucumber slices at night than it is to grab crackers, Cookies, etc. Find distractions to your emotional hunger - go for a walk, color, read a book, paint your nails, groom your dog (or cat), etc. Good luck - you can do this!!!

Are you exercising? That will help with the weight loss as well as they depression/anxiety.

I swim laps in the pool and go for walks when I can. My back injury prevents strenuous workouts.

Thank you everyone for tips. I am self pay so I didn't have to go though the mental evaluation. I have an appt next week so I'll have to ask if they offer those services, which I'm sure they do.